UT3 WAR-Torlan[UT2004] - UT2004 Torlan to UT3 Total Conversion -

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
Name: WAR-Torlan[UT2004]
Version: 1.0
Credits: FreEp, Sanch3z, D-Hunter, Team @ UnrealEd.eu
Download: WAR-Torlan[UT2004].zip

TheDamm.jpg

CommTower.jpg

Base.jpg

Node.jpg

Canyon.jpg

CommTower2.jpg

I made a video you can watch at YouTube or HQ version from FileFront.
YouTube
HighQuality@FileFront

-----------------------------------------------

This is a total conversion of UT2004 ONS-Torlan.

In the beginning I only wanted to learn the new Editor, because I'll shift all mapping activities from UT2004 to UT3.
So I started to sample something I know good and took ONS-Torlan, the best retail UT2004 ONS map, to gain some practice with the new Editor.
Finally the map plays funny with that old-style look and I decided to complete it.
My goal was a 1:1 conversion with original UT2004 Textures, Static Meshes and Music.

The whole map is small in video memory usage and amount of triangles. I tweaked as best as I can.
So it should run fine on weaker machines. Some responds in this case would be interesting.

There are only a few exceptions to the original Torlan:
The HillTop Node is a StandaloneNode now. Both teams can capture it at anytime but there is no connection to any Core or Node from that one.
Another exception is a SpiderMinePortable near HillTop Node, because there are no more SpiderMineLaunchers like there were in UT2004 Torlan.
At last I removed all Avrils and Snipers out of the Weapon Lockers and put them separate to that Lockers.
Also I removed the Avril from the canyon CentralNode.
Because of the small map size and much slower vehicles like in UT2004, I put the Stinger Turret instead of the other one,
that is too fast in fire-rate.

The map comes with two Node setups, with and without Orb. Default is without. Best played 8 to 16 players.

-----------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD

...or PS3 Version (thx to AnubanUT2 !)

Have fun!

Last edited:

Growler

Jul 26, 2004
YESS! This is just what I've wanted - I'm definitely gonna try this one out :D

And especially thank you for making the default being withOUT the Orb!

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
Oh well,it is not a bad idea,but hey,it would much more nicer if you make a remake of the UT2004 Torlan map with the UT3 stuff.How in the hell you got the UT2004 stuff in UT3,because the map looks very similar like the UT2004 version.;)

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
[VaLkyR]Anubis;2103974 said:
Oh well,it is not a bad idea,but hey,it would much more nicer if you make a remake of the UT2004 Torlan map with the UT3 stuff.How in the hell you got the UT2004 stuff in UT3,because the map looks very similar like the UT2004 version.;)

That was the challange. :) Many people still play ONS-Torlan. If they want and like the original map, they can continue playing (with some exceptions) on UT3 now. Btw, the UT3 Torlan is great (also in visuals) but very different to WAR-Torlan[UT2004]. I wanted to keep things simple with that map. There is no Specularity, Normal or Parallax Mapping e.g. (except Players, Vehicles, Pickups and some water) Finally, system requirements should be lower compared to other UT3 retail maps.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Nice and close to 2k4 version really! I have my objection to the original map so I'm not happy that the original version was remade because overall balance of the map is not that great. If you're loosing it's hard to get out, firepower of the offensive side is overwhelming (tank node is very unlucky) and there's only one way out so you can't really trick enemy and undertake surprise attack to the other node or something like that.

But your mission was to get original to UT3 and it looks good! :)

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
...If you're loosing it's hard to get out, firepower of the offensive side is overwhelming (tank node is very unlucky) and there's only one way out so you can't really trick enemy and undertake surprise attack to the other node or something like that.
But your mission was to get original to UT3 and it looks good! :)

First of all thx :) but...
Thats more the original Torlan and I agree to you Virgo. In my version, if you lost all Nodes, you can capture the PrimaryNode AND the HillTopNode because that Node is a StandAloneNode, can be captured at anytime and is not linked to other Nodes. If you get this Node, you have access to a Raptor, Manta and a SpiderMinePortable. Also you can launch some Avrils from upside the hill. It should be a bit easier now to regain some power and start a comeback.

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
Doesn't one of the teams have an advantage to being closer to the upper tower node?
Hm, maybe a little but the map is so small, that this advantage is insignificant in my opinion.

@Kantham
I make intensive use of you nice tutorials about Warfare mapping. Thx for this one! Btw, you are wrong with your passage "Why is the PowerCore explosion not showing up when it explode?".
There is an easy way to copy-paste the core explosion with Kismet, all actors AND its connections out of retail maps. Atm I cant find the post but if you are interesting in, I will find it.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
@Kantham
I make intensive use of you nice tutorials about Warfare mapping. Thx for this one! Btw, you are wrong with your passage "Why is the PowerCore explosion not showing up when it explode?".
There is an easy way to copy-paste the core explosion with Kismet, all actors AND its connections out of retail maps. Atm I cant find the post but if you are interesting in, I will find it.

Sure. :)

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
That was the challange. :) Many people still play ONS-Torlan. If they want and like the original map, they can continue playing (with some exceptions) on UT3 now. Btw, the UT3 Torlan is great (also in visuals) but very different to WAR-Torlan[UT2004]. I wanted to keep things simple with that map. There is no Specularity, Normal or Parallax Mapping e.g. (except Players, Vehicles, Pickups and some water) Finally, system requirements should be lower compared to other UT3 retail maps.
Ah yeah,I understand you,I remember how many versions of Torlan are available,some of them have been good and some only just for fun.I personally like Torlan myself,it is good looking and balanced map.Yes,indeed the performance of your map Torlan map is really higher than the normal UT3 Torlan map,hehe,but it is still good.:)

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
I export-import ~95% of the meshes from the original Torlan in a Blender friendly format. Then I repaired some meshes because of wrong polygon alignment, re-textured them and forming a new collision hull. After that I was able to import them to the UT3 editor.
For the terrain I imported the original highmap but had to scale it a little bit after.

gdmatt

Feb 8, 2009
Some very nice work there, looks nearly 100% identical.
Torlan is my all time favourite Onslaught map for UT2004, I shall download this tomorrow.