Looking for a non-FPS game suggestion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
A lot of my friends are recommending games like Fallout3 and Bioshock. Evidently they combine some role playing and some shooting and strategy as well. So if I wanted to shoot SOME but also explore and relax some too, which games would you recommend now?

Fallout3

Bioshock follows the classic fps formula very closely. Not to diss the game but FO3 sounds more like what you're looking for.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
While Bioshock is a better game, yeah, it's much more of a standard FPS with interesting RPG elements for flavor. FO3 is an RPG with some FPS elements added in.

~Jason

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Thanx Brizz for your reply :)...I feel better now! Maybe I'll try some of the new suggestions that are coming in now, and thanks for the new suggestions you guys.

Pro

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
A lot of my friends are recommending games like Fallout3 and Bioshock. Evidently they combine some role playing and some shooting and strategy as well. So if I wanted to shoot SOME but also explore and relax some too, which games would you recommend now?

Both are good. FO3 sounds more like what you are describing. BioShock isn't a frantic shooter along the lines of DOOM or Serious Sam, but it's a shooter at heart and the RPG elements that are there are very minor. It's hard to recommend against it though.

And if you like FO3, you might as well give Oblivion a spin as it's basically FO3 in fantasy clothing.

Mass Effect is very story-driven and has shooting elements, so it might be something to look into as well.

Have you played Portal?

Almost every game listed here I've played on my Athlon x2 4200+ socket 939 without any problems, so the answer is yes.

Same here.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Have you played Portal?

Mirror's edge too. It is kinda tense and suspenseful when being chased down and stuff, but it's still a departure from fps games, this is a fpp. :p

It really shouldn't be this hard to find a game though, just try demos and take a chance. It's only $50 or less.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
So what game did you end up playing? I say we start calling out people on threads like these! :rant:

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
If I wanted to take a break from Unreal Tournament play, what are some good games that are more relaxed and a bit slower paced.

Sometimes I get tired of in your face shooting all the time and was wondering if there are some different types of games that don't require so much precision skill as UT and most of the other FPS games.

I played Guild Wars for just a little while back in 2005 or 2006 but not long enough to get to know it. I'm just wondering what different gametypes are out there that are not FPS.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Prozac:)

Funny that I started this thread. Since I first posted I tried Oblivion, hated it, Mass Effect, couldn't tolerate it, Forsaken World, hated it, and Guild Wars and WoW, etc. then I realized that it wasn't the shooting that I disliked about fps, it was the ONLINE shooting. I just wanted to chill to some easy fps single player campaigns.

So I play Fallout 3, Borderlands etc, any fps that is more geared to offline play. As I tried the non-fps games I realized that I enjoy more, having a gun in my hand and shooting things, after all. Just want to be able to set the difficulty and tempo of the game. Like in FO3 i set it to easy or just one step up, so I dominate...cause I think that's fun.

I am however considering Assassin's Creed or Prince of Persia series.

so there you have. That's what ended up doing. :D

The two games I play the most are Left 4 Dead (pretty mindless and spammy, but fun) and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance (RTS). I play the latter offline just to relax.

A friend of mine plays RTS games, and they sound interesting. If they have some shooting and are not overly complicated, ha ha, I might like to give them a try. Inspire me Hal. lol

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
^ lol, what kind of shooting? They are all basically the same feeling gameplay wise. Isometric view and control. You either like it or not. :eek:

As far as your epiphany with FPS games, I still think/agree that you should play Mirror's Edge and Portal 1 and 2 and Left 4 Dead then. :D

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Well there's really not much shooting at all, I pretty much did none on my playthroughs. If you like the movement aspects of some FPS games though, then this could be a nice change of pace for a while, however short.

It really is short and not much replay value. :(

Oh btw did anyone ever mention the STALKER games in here? That seems to fit what you're looking for with your new description. Even though they're so glitchy and have their problems, I'd personally rate them way higher than FO3 or Borderlands. :eek:

Last edited:

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Thanks Sleepy, I actually bought the STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl based on a bazillion recommendations. I only played it a bit, then went sour on it. BUT I think that was my fault because I was going through gaming burn out.

It looked like a really cool game, and many people told me it had a long campaign. It's sitting in either my Steam or Direct2Drive account just waiting to be reinstalled...you think I should???

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
so there you have. That's what ended up doing. :D

A friend of mine plays RTS games, and they sound interesting. If they have some shooting and are not overly complicated, ha ha, I might like to give them a try. Inspire me Hal. lol

Anything else happen? :eek:

Try any RTS?

hated Portal

o_o

[stuff] ...STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl... [stuff] ...sitting in either my Steam or Direct2Drive account just waiting to be reinstalled...you think I should???

Did you ever try it or anything else? Heck, if you've got time, why not? :p

TBH I never beat any of the STALKER games, there were some thinks that irked me about the gameplay and design. I only got like half way in the first and probably like 1/6 in the third. :lol: