Nexuiz: THQ's attempt to "reinvent Arena FPS gameplay""

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I wouldn't describe either of those as revolutionary. Deck 16 was a fairly standard DM layout that had little special going for it. Face is still retarded.
Fine, maybe they weren't revolutionary but they were still pretty freaking good and I'm not going to lay up on that.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
24/7 servers are almost never about the quality of the map. With UT it was Face primarily because Face was in the demo.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
Unreal 1 didn't have Coret.

The Demo for UT had it. According to Liandri Archives it was quite popular in the full UT at first but face quickly took over.

I'll bet that back when people were still playing UT2003 DM-Anatalus and CTF-Citadel were what half the servers were playing. (They were in the UT2003 demo)

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Remember DM-Fractal? Map was really fun, especially putting instagib on, overflowing the map with people or bots, and letting all hell break loose.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Remember DM-Fractal? Map was really fun, especially putting instagib on, overflowing the map with people or bots, and letting all hell break loose.
DM-Fractal is pretty freaking good as well but it has the fatal weakness of being just a bit too cramped.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
DM-Fractal is pretty freaking good as well but it has the fatal weakness of being just a bit too cramped.

But overflowing the map full of bots or human players is what made it so fun, especially with instagib. You better make a move as soon as you respawn because you won't live for more than two seconds.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
But overflowing the map full of bots or human players is what made it so fun, especially with instagib. You better make a move as soon as you respawn because you won't live for more than two seconds.
I would argue that one could accomplish, more or less, the same thing with Morbias.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
In Unreal it was Coret and Deck.
In UT it was also Deck.
Torlan and Rankin in UT2004.
In UT3 it's Suspense or Downtown.

It's not always the demo maps, but often it is.

I'm sure CTF-Citadel made itself known in 2k4(demo map)

My point is though that the volume of maps is not truly necessary because most folks only stick to the ones they know anyway. (We don't all have time to learn every map inside out.)

Esepcially when it comes to CTF where, without fail the most popular map is always the one that most resembles Face/2fort...