Pupae=Baby Skaarj ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
SP2D for UT is in the works. Krall in Dasa Cellars don't even try to fight back if you use the Razor Jack.

If whoever at Legend didn't cut the best parts of Velora Temple/Aztec, it would have been better in RTNP. Aztec had a Stone Titan as a boss. Velora Pass had also a Stone Titan.
Since there's a Temple of Chizra, who's a god, a Temple of Vandora, who's a goddess, there's a Temple of Velora - all the maps made by Epic. Following this trend, Velora should be a god as well (not going with goddess since he looks male in those pics in the temple).

I don't really think it's a sun god. His temple is located underground, and it's really dark. Maybe he's someone likes Tezcatlipoca or this other aztec god.
David Kelvin (Nivlek) did these beta conversions etc...so blame him.
He probably ran to some bsp problems and he was lazy to fix them so he has cut these parts. Same with some interscted deintersected like swallowed parts of the geometry at these beta levels which the large brush swallowed during the rebuild, as beta worked differently nad he did not adjust these brushes, you know that aztec exit, some pipes at foundry, which were showing originally lava through windows and then these chests which at beta had assigned model woodenbox, but the mesh does not exist in final, so they appear invisible in foundry and toxic. You must type set chest mesh woodenboxm in these levels, so they appear again. Again this was his lazyness that he didn't adjust them back or he did not even notice...same happened btw with zora's conversions and dots ones too, with dots the bugs have been even more wider. :lol:

Oh and btw that the Aztec is dark is only fake effect, you know these holes in the ceiling were supposed to show sky (and there was no skybox either), I adjusted some of ceiling holes(especially the one in titan room) in my test conversion I provided for your usp thread you know...but I did not adjust them all and perhaps the pyramide area I shouldnt have left so opened s to project skybox, but meh.

If whoever at Legend didn't cut the best parts of Velora Temple/Aztec, it would have been better in RTNP. Aztec had a Stone Titan as a boss. Velora Pass had also a Stone Titan.
Since there's a Temple of Chizra, who's a god, a Temple of Vandora, who's a goddess, there's a Temple of Velora - all the maps made by Epic. Following this trend, Velora should be a god as well (not going with goddess since he looks male in those pics in the temple).

It's certainly logical. Although I'm not so convinced that every temple on Na Pali has to be built to honor a god. Unless they have lots and lots of them. The thing is that, compared to the other two temple maps, Velora does not contain any religious text or specific lore. What we do get is a lot of ornate idols and big faces. Things like that, which always seemed more in tune with what a king would use to decorate his temple. Seemed very narcissistic. And I always kind of felt the Stone Titan/Titan placement in such maps was more of a "trap" or a warning than anything.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Oh and btw that the Aztec is dark is only fake effect, you know these holes in the ceiling were supposed to show sky (and there was no skybox either), I adjusted some of ceiling holes(especially the one in titan room) in my test conversion I provided for your usp thread you know...but I did not adjust them all and perhaps the pyramide area I shouldnt have left so opened s to project skybox, but meh.

Even if there are some openings to the sky and sun, Velora's temple is generally not a very bright, lit place.

It's certainly logical. Although I'm not so convinced that every temple on Na Pali has to be built to honor a god. Unless they have lots and lots of them. The thing is that, compared to the other two temple maps, Velora does not contain any religious text or specific lore. What we do get is a lot of ornate idols and big faces. Things like that, which always seemed more in tune with what a king would use to decorate his temple. Seemed very narcissistic. And I always kind of felt the Stone Titan/Titan placement in such maps was more of a "trap" or a warning than anything.

Chizra and Vandora never had messages before their final versions. Then their authors added them. Not the same for Velora since it was scrapped from the original Unreal and passed directly to the Legend dudes for RTNP. And RTNP's number of translator messages was almost as high as the one of Dark Arena D:
In other words, I'm trying to say that Epic wouldn't have left behind a temple without religious messages about the place and the entity in question.

Heck, even Jrath in Morose had his glory through messages.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I know whether or not the translator messages in Unreal were handled by each individual mapper...or by another party after the maps were done. All all I know is that in the final versions of the Vandora/Chizra maps had messages, and the final version of Velora (RTNP) did not. I don't think it matters what was and was not done in any beta versions, because they were betas. But yes, it's completely possible that Legend did not handle the translator use and placement the same way that it was done in Unreal, leaving Velora Temple in limbo as far as text was concerned.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Disperse of those annoying biterfish with the Asmd. Secondary fire works wonders. Just keep your distance ;) (Yes, I feel obliged including this piece of advice ;-)...)
Many would consider the obssessive behaviour these biterfish display as an act of hostility. Perhaps it is. Perhaps it's simply a sign of affection. Who'll say?
Let the asmd decide.

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
the slith are maybe the most creepy creatures in unreal.
kinda look like from hindu mythology.would make a good endmonster imo...
30 feet tall etc.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
No, not even by an inch, not even mermans. Hindu-themed temple has Hindu-themed creatures. Aside the Titans, I don't remember any other big inspirations from Greek myths.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Honestly it looks like one of those generic Doom-like monsters. Freaking terrible, the Slith is lightyears ahead than it.

No offense to the author, but that kind of design stopped being cool many years ago.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Slith are similar to nagas, but they really should have a few more arms...
Though their history says that they're "cousins of Skaarj", so they're not native to Na Pali, but got there with the Skaarj.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
And with the Mercenaries too :c

I don't think Skaarj brought pets during their journey. Slith are originally native to Na Pali and probably mutated by something. The temple of Chizra mentions these serpents here and here.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Temple of Chizra mentions Demons from the Sky just as often, or even more often, like: "Beware those of impure motives who enter the pool of thunder shall face the demon from the stars."
And that note about being similar to Skaarj is in the manual itself, and as there can't be Skaarj cousins just accidentally on Na Pali, they're not native.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
There's no way that they're not native. It's not like they use startships or space jumpers.
The only possible answer is once again: mutated creatures.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Why can't they be brought there by the Skaarj? We don't see them in the Mothership, yes, but neither do we see Brutes, and they were made by Skaarj. Although genetic engineering here is also possible.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Why can't they be brought there by the Skaarj? We don't see them in the Mothership, yes, but neither do we see Brutes, and they were made by Skaarj. Although genetic engineering here is also possible.

There is brute in mothership.....and in beta also krall, but never slith..