XMP sooo much better than UT2K4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
why not do what yah can

Instead of xmp for ut2k4 why not the ut2k4 vehicles for xmp....oooooo - promising.....and since xmp has all the editors availabe to it its actually POSSIBLE ....astonishing - I wish I could look pretty :(

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
headwire said:
XMP with 2004 vehicles would be enough to sell me to XMP completely. At the moment, I am stuck between the two. XMP is definitely better for teamplay... Onslaught has flaws but so does XMP. When comparing the two, it is hard to decide. Baaah.
I don't care too much for the 2004 vehicles because the scale of the game is way off (player models/vehicles), but the physics have had a lovely upgrade, it's so gratifying to bounce around in the 2004 vehicles. I love the XMP tank, and I love the raptor (if it had the vehicle physics of 2004 it would be perfect), the manta and the raptor flying thing is awesome. I can't wait to see the leviathan (big six man tank).

XMP is still God though.

Dangler

~LXG~
Jan 20, 2001
Bellevue, WA.
Visit site
Ut2k4 is "ok" but not worth the cash they'll charge.
IMHO, it shoulda been a free add on for 2k3 just like XMP, Assault was already done for 2k3 by modders, Onslaught is the only "worthy" thing added, and is
only equal to XMP, i mean it has it's cool stuff too, but 50 bucks for that!? would make me feel like a chump.
Onslaught is a stripped down imitation of Planetside, kinda,what it reminds me of anyway. If it were free like XMP it would be da shiat.

PS. they left the POS. shield gun, POS. Goo Gun in there again so they can bite me. :mad:

It's all about the cash, and they won't get mine.
Somebody is bound to mod Onslaught for 2k3 I'd wait for that kiddies,
save yer cash.

DEAD METAL: There will be an editor for 2k4 thats a given, its just not in the demo.

Last edited:

DJM312

Beta tester
Oct 3, 2003
Bristol,Ct.
Visit site
Houdini , I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt , I've played with you in Xmp a couple of times . But the vehicles in xmp are designed for certain objectives - Juggernaut defense - Raptor - arty capping- Harbinger - team carrier , It takes forever to get across a map with the jug , but people do use it for offensive purpose . The raptor is the speed vehicle - in and out of enemys node which is always on offense . The harbinger if used right can carry a number of people , to team rush enemy nodes or pick up arty carrier . I'm not trying to bash UT2K4 , as a matter of fact I do like the vehicles in onslaught and I can't wait to see the Leviathan , but xmp to me anyways is a deeper game , there's alot of objectives to obtain and hold in xmp ,thats what I like about xmp .You may obtain all the artys , but if you don't have energy you don't have sh-t . Deploys if you do not hold any your in for a world of pain . This is why I like xmp . UT2K4 right now I go through the maps a couple of times and I'm bored , but my mistake I shouldn't judge the game right now , because it's only a demo . Peace -(Beta)Dman .

Houdini-GG

I've been described as hot, videogames..
Dec 30, 2003
Colorado Springs
in XMP u have to gain energy and hold deploys. (outside of the normal fighting) then when thats all said and done correctly, u go for the art caps.
in ONS u have to gain nodes. keep the current unlocked node defended, proceed to tryto take the next node and while doing this, u can also attack the other teams unlocked node and also try to stop them from gaining their next node. when thats all said and done correctly, u go for the core kill.

honestly, i dont see XMP being that much deeper?

DJM312

Beta tester
Oct 3, 2003
Bristol,Ct.
Visit site
Houdini , from the games I've played no ones defending anything , their all after the nodes . It's like got this node on to the next - then a message and voice blare on your pc - red node under attack . Oh well I better go back . It's a fast game , one minute you got the node , the next you don't. Constant chaos , the core is easy - no one defends it . Maybe I'm wrong . But that's the feeling I get from the games of onslaught that I've played . Peace - (Beta)Dman .

Last edited:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
No one has to defend the core. While they're attacking the core, you take the node connected to your core. Oops, now they can't attack anymore and have to come all the way back to get that node again.

Houdini-GG

I've been described as hot, videogames..
Dec 30, 2003
Colorado Springs
Dman:
right now i wouldnt expect to see anyone really playing the game correctly. hardly anyone stays behind to defend the nodes. whenever the full game comes out and everyone starts to play for real, im sure we'll have a more balanced game.
but it does have depth, however right now, its mainly chaos. ahah.
i think some XMP zealots were/are mad at the gaming community for not supporting XMP. so naturally they attempt to defame 2k4 (i guess to try to get more people back to XMP?). While doing so, they never stopped to look at the potential for gameplay and depth of ONS- it was easy to overlook it myself, til i stepped back and carefully went though the game. Its much easier as an anti 2k4 person to shout out "ONS has no depth" while the game is really in total chaos on most servers. however, i can bet u that when the game comes out and people have calmed down, the depth and gameplay will show through.
as much depth as XMP? dunno.. but there is depth.

Nemephosis gives a good example of the future of depth in this game. Like i said, theres more than just one gameype as well. I keep switching between BR/ONS/AS .. now ima go play some TDM.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
headwire said:
XMP = Team based tactical play.
UT2004 = Fragfest.

Excellent break down.

I happen to like passive team work like TDM and Onslaught. Althought heavy team work would make the game end much faster.....its not necisarily required to have fun.

Anyone ever heard of counterstrike? I hear it has some really good team play.

I'll take a one man army chaotic gib fest any day.
Me vs everyone else....I can't possibly win....but it's gonna be a glorious battle.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Houdini-GG said:
Dman:
right now i wouldnt expect to see anyone really playing the game correctly. hardly anyone stays behind to defend the nodes. whenever the full game comes out and everyone starts to play for real, im sure we'll have a more balanced game.
but it does have depth, however right now, its mainly chaos. ahah.

I think that it is more important to get as many men out there to collect control nodes than it is to spread your forces thin and leave one or two guys behind to defend. If everyone did that then in a 7vs7 match you would have nearly a stale mate.

There is no reason to stay at the base if you have a node that protects the core. Nothing short of brute force in numbers and strategic defence at the front lines is going to win. Nobody is going to gaurd a control point if nobody is attacking it....they are more likely to get to the front lines as fast as they can to help out.

DJM312

Beta tester
Oct 3, 2003
Bristol,Ct.
Visit site
Houdini , I'm done with this thread , I happen to like XMP and probably will like UT2K4 . But for now it's XMP . I'm glad you shed some light on UT2K4 ,I'll probably go back and revaluate UT2K4 . XMP though holds a place in my heart . Thanks everyone - Peace (Beta)Dman .

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
The revelation is as follows:

Houdini is it just me or did you say thats how ppl play ut2k4 and then Dman points something out and you change your opinion to well I expect ppl not to play it right ? way to back up your convictions there pal :lol:

Big Moe

Big Moe
Feb 14, 2004
Miami
Once and for all, both UT2k3 and UT2k4 are Quake multiplayer ripoffs. I never liked the way they evolved the original UT into these products. If I wanna play Quake then I'll buy Quake. I can't stand that melee crap: frag, die, redeploy, etc. UTXMP is the only true evolution of Unreal and UT, it has the feel of the true Unreal which is more strategic, more measured and more intelligent than all that fragfest Quake style nonsense.

ReLiK

Waiting to spawn....
Dec 21, 2003
for what its worth, I really like both games but I'm inclined to agree with just about everything Houdini has said in these posts.

In fact I've been discussing the lack of true class distinction with my clan mates for a while now, since I'm an Enemy Territory player too. To be fair, most of my clan mates probably disagree with me.

I think people who claim 'you can't really compare the two games' need to wake up. People will and are comparing the two because on the surface they seem very similar. First-person shooter, team based, nodes, vehicles etc.

I'll admit XMP is a deeper game and arguably more rewarding than onslaught which basically is just a frag-fest amid accomplishing objectives. But as has been said before, 2K4, runs a hell of a lot better and for that reason alone, I think I personally will be playing XMP a lot less. The fact that I found the new maps a big disappointment just reinforces my view.

Hope nobody hates me now :)

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
Whats with the Quackers?

ok first off.......quake sux.....hell I'd sooner play that be Britney Spears game or w/e the hell it is...........thats the hate that I hold for that game.... neways

You can always compare things.....but it really doesn't matter as long as everyone thinks differently......so basically your stating all these reasons and why not to like xmp or ut2k4 when in fact your only swaying a handful of ppl at a time.........but it still doesn't matter.......the overview is that these are games and as games they are meant to be played or not played.....if you don't like it - don't play, it if u like it - play, if your like both then play both....do what you like, do what you want.......its just getting annoying that your trying to sway these ppl to your views when in fact they already think that way.......excuse me for saying all this its just frustrating now

Dangler

~LXG~
Jan 20, 2001
Bellevue, WA.
Visit site
Dead_Metal said:
ok first off.......quake sux.....hell I'd sooner play that be Britney Spears game or w/e the hell it is...........thats the hate that I hold for that game.... neways

Aww cummon, Quake is THE grand daddy, the engine is still in use to this day,
and the graphics still hold up. For fragging madness it is still the king. UT never
touched it.

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
excuse me but UT owned Quake in frag department

FOR IT IS FACT

(lol yah opinion still :p)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.