Stretching assistance?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Andirez

push the limits
Jan 23, 2000
Belgium
www.planetunreal.com
IMO, you better don't stretch brushes. If you use the tools from Ued to stretch, you probably get off the grid. You might not notice it at first, but most of the time you're slightly off. After stretching, be sure that you select "transform permanently" in the transform menu. If you don't and you rotate afterwards, you get a pretty weird brush. I use vertices to stretch my brushes if I need to (just moving some points while pressing the alt button) but you have to be carefull to stay on the grid (you'd better disable the vertexsnap doing this).

The best way is (before doing anything) reset your brush and then just give it the right dimensions manually without stretching. Giving dimensions is pretty easy since you can use +,-,*,/ in the dimensionsbox.

bastard_o

Lead Designer
I second that Andirez, When I started level design with UnrealEd I too used the stretch button thing.. but all it did was mess up my level which I had to redo every solid (blue) brush that I had stretched, the BAD effect was to have xmas-tree lights where the brushes meet. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif.

So as the man advised and IMHO build your geometry solid (blues) so its size is exact, ie. brushes that align to the grid, brush sizes which are exactly divisible by 2,4,8 etc etc, you don't want blue brushes of size 64.273373x159.37373x1010.283993, they may look on the grid... but they are not.

Semi's (pink) can be scaled by the way...

Bastard'O

P.S. Love the handle "White Rabbit", which white rabbit would that be...

White Rabbit

Mar 19, 2000
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Visit site
Well, people usually assume its from the Matrix, which is of course cool and probably influencial in my handle decision, but it probably comes down to the song by Jefferson Airplane called "White Rabbit", and needless to say, I love Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland". I find it a bit different than "Domin8r, Deathmaster, Demonfire" and other typical nick names *g*. Thanks for the help,

WR

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
Snap stretching brushes is an indispensible tool! Just make sure to transform permanatly after you'be stretched. The other deformation tools (skew, stretch etc) are worthless tho