Can you change the fov in UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AriTheDog

frog steering expert
May 6, 2001
USA
Visit site
not in terms of modifying the game code.

although it's close.

more like portal piston camping. etc.

it gives players an advantage.

although i have mixed feelings, as it's the same sort of advantage you get when you learn that it's possible to shock combo, or rocketlock.

rhakka

a.k.a. Zeus, ruler o' the universe
May 6, 2000
portland,ME,USA
www.teamplay.net
it is no different than adjusting mouse sensitivity really. In fact, the end result is very similiar with the added bonus of actually seeing a bit more, but the drop in accuracy is similiar to a high mouse sensitivity as well.

Also, I have never once seen a server disallow a raised FOV. Some other things will get you banned, but not FOV :D it's just a matter of preference: do you want speed of response or precision?

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Definately not cheating.

Higher FOV's are definately balanced as described above, you take a disadvantage for another advantage. I think that's funny how you say most lf the elite players use it... I wonder how true that is. I know I'm one that doesn't.

Lower FOV's may very well be considered as such, hence the new defalut false setting for that server option. If they wanted the asmd to zoom, it would have come with a scope....

I just move my head around a lot, and listen close... that and I found a comprimise to high sensitivity for awareness, and low for aim... nigga said acceleration... That and I use a thumbball, so looking around/spinnin' is second nature.

rhakka

a.k.a. Zeus, ruler o' the universe
May 6, 2000
portland,ME,USA
www.teamplay.net
depends on what you play I guess. those skills are next to useless in domination and CTF where you frequently have multiple enemies around and need to switch targets ASAP and repeatedly. The only way to do this is visually.

not *all* leets do it, not even in ctf, but a good deal of them do, and many of them play higher than I would ever consider playable. I play at 100 as my aim sucks enough as it is :D

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
I don't think raising the FOV is cheating because it is making the game more realistic. If you look straight ahead in real life, you can almost see a perfect 180^ arc left-to-right (although much less top-to-bottom). Peripheral vision lacks detail, but this is fairly well represented by the perspective distortion and blurry close up textures at the edges. Besides, raising FOV above 140 is pretty unplayable. I do think lowering the FOV significantly is cheating though (although Q3 lets you do it with all weapons).

When I play at fov 90, I find I'm always falling off ledges 'cuz I can't see where my feet are supposed to be, but at 110 I have no problems with this.