HELP!!! New Hardware Killed Windows!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZombieKilla

Nov 6, 2000
Michigan
dkb.myeva.net
I just upgraded my computer and although Linux works perfectly, the rest of my family only uses Windows. I tried installing Windows 98 and Windows ME multiple times but only recieved errors. I reformated the drive and started over, but that didn't help. I removed RAM modules one at a time thinking maybe one of those might be causing problems.

I have changed BIOS parameters in the hope that maybe one of those would make a difference, but to no avail.

Old System:
Intel 333Mhz CeleronA
ABIT BH6
128MB PC100 SDRAM

My new system is comprised of:
250w ATX power supply
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1 Ghz
ABIT KT7 mianboard
2 Maxtor 30 Gigabyte Hard Disk drives ATA66 (1 for Linux, 1 for Windows)
Best Data 56SF2 modem
VisionTek GeForce2 GTS video card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live sound card
Temperature is constant 78 degrees Fahrenheit

M0ldM^n

Oct 27, 2000
Visit site
I don't know much about this but...

It seems your power supply is a little too small for what you have. I think a bare minimum for performance would be 300W if not 400W.

Windows can only be loaded onto your primary drive (c:) and linux can go onto your second drive. I think you have to install windows first then install linux. I assume you have redhat linux6.2 or better. Go to their site (red hat) and check their compatibility lists. I am thinking of trying redhat linux7 but I don't know if my soundblaster live! and live drive are linux compatible (can't find any drivers on creative's site.)
Right now I have 98se and 2000 on my system. I installed 98se first then 2000. 2000 saw 98se on drive c: and installed itself onto my second hard drive as d: Drive d: is partitioned into a 15gig d: and 25gigs for whatever else. c: is a 30 gig drive not partitioned.

So I would install windows first, then linux and hopefully that will work.

Post back when you've found a fix???
good luck...

0bside0

Transmogriphying...
Jul 20, 2000
Seattle, WA
www.klondike5.us
ZombieKilla

Hey. Right off the bat, YEAH, M0ldM^n is dead on. That just isn't enough watts to drive all that, especially a 1 giger!

But when does it report errors? Will the PC post at all? or can you get it up in dos? How far does windows get?

The set up you have for a dual WIN/Linux boot is perfect actually (provided you get your system up that far-wink wink).

-M0ldM^n: RHat7 DOES support SB live, and in fact it has been support since RH6.0 though Creative's site probably does not have much linux stuff floating around their site. ;) You'll have no probs- check the Redhat site (here: http://www.redhat.com/support/hardware/ ) to see if all your other hardware is supported. In many cases there are drivers out there that will get it working but often it can involve a kernel rebuild and all sorts of other adventures!

Sooo, Zombie, Linux is working fine? and now LILO just won't boot you back into windows. Tell me more of what exactly is happening.

~A

ZombieKilla

Nov 6, 2000
Michigan
dkb.myeva.net
The power supply is rated by AMD so I can't believe that's the problem, but I was thinking about a new power supply anyway, maybe 350w if they make 'em.

The errors at first came at about 70% of the way through the installation, with a USER.EXE module error. After that, they became more technical, and more often. They biggest hang up was during the end part of the installation where the components are upgraded and hardware devices are detected, that crashed 100% of the time.

I'm baffled how I can run Linux (Mandrake 7.2 PowerPack) flawlessly but Windows (98 and ME) keeps shutting me out. I can't believe that Windows sucks up wattage to the point that it would starve the processor, that just doesn't make sense.

karma.jpg

ZombieKilla

Nov 6, 2000
Michigan
dkb.myeva.net
I forgot to mention I just downloaded a new BIOS version and I'm going to install that and see if it makes any difference.

BTW I've already compiled the 2.4 kernel and it works great except for a few permissions such as floppy drive access, in fact it's what I'm running right now. Thank goodness for boot disks, and also, I don't use LILO, I use GRUB, which I like better.

If I can't get this situation remedied in the next few hours, then I'm going to swtich back to the old motherboard until I can get some answers and maybe a new power supply.

lain.gif

0bside0

Transmogriphying...
Jul 20, 2000
Seattle, WA
www.klondike5.us
Crap, you're right, that doesn't make for fun at all, or make excellant sense..
Did you FDISK your drive before you began? Is that 2nd drive known-good? I ask because I've had big problems (and several people I know) with Maxtors in the past.

350watt would be fine. I've got a 400watt for a 650 T-Bird, but I also have a quite a few more components/peripherals than you listed... more power=more room to grow.

You might consider disconnecting your linux drive for the time being and putting the windows drive on the primary IDE channel (Im assuming IDE).. reduce the system down a bit (video, drive, cdrom only, etc.) and work up from there.
I used to run RHat with LILO dual boot with 98, but I've not used GRUB or Mandrake (even tho it's essentially RHAT)and haven't reinstalled Linux since I've had WinME. I'll pick my roommate's head about this too- I bet he'll know something about it.
Hope it goes better soon, man.

ZombieKilla

Nov 6, 2000
Michigan
dkb.myeva.net
Well, I installed the new BIOS, fdisked the drive, formatted it, and proceded to install Win ME. Everything went smooth until the install was 97% complete. Then the same problem I mentioned earlier bit my ass. here's the screen dump:

An error has occured:

File name VMM(12) +00001E4CE ERROR: 06 : 0028 : C0276E4C

I also recieved this error

Error: 0E : 0028 : 00000004 IFSMGR(01) + 00002C35 Error : 0E : 0028 : C0035685

This beats the hell out of me.

I saw over at AMD that a few of the power supplies are only 145 watts. Those must be class A amplifiers costing megabucks.

Well, tomorrow I'll be back to the Celeron (minus the SB Live in favor of the AWE64) and I'll overclock it to 416MHz on the 83MHz Front Side Bus. Damn it. I wait months (years) to upgrade and all this takes place. My Playstation (a 1000 series) died a while back from the infamous overheating, so I'm going to keep searching for answers. Hopefully they are out there. Thanks for the responses.

0bside0

Transmogriphying...
Jul 20, 2000
Seattle, WA
www.klondike5.us
That blows the big'n.
Word from my roommate yet- not sure where he is. I'll ask when I see him.
I hear you very loud-very clear. I finally upgraded just last month from an AMD K6-2 300 and 1st hardware version of my particular board which would only support up to a k62 400... didn't seem worth it. Got a spiffy new MSI jumperless board (known to be one of the most stable) and the TBird 650. NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS FOR 2 WEEKS OF DOING NOTHING BUT MONKEY WITH IT. In the end I finally found the problem myself after the board manufacturer MSI, the chipset folks VIA, and the retailer I bought the combo from all pointed me back to each other. I won't go into any more than to say it SUCKED, though when I finally cracked it, I felt great and the system has rocked for me ever since. Good luck man. I'll keep my ears peeled.

ZombieKilla

Nov 6, 2000
Michigan
dkb.myeva.net
To avoid a long and drawn out family battle, I reinstalled the old motherboard and processor. Windows installed fine and is running without problems. :(

By the way I took a closer look at my power supply and although it's rated a 250 watts, the output is closer to 135 watts, so maybe the combination of the Global Win CPU fan and all the other hardware cause a fluctuation of the voltage enough where Windows couldn't install or run properly. :rolleyes:

I can't say enough how immensly impressed I am by Linux and the few SECONDS it took to seemlessly switch from one board to another. I'm going to post in a few other forums and submit the problem to a few experts and see what they say. I might just end up getting another case and moving the Linux drive to that along with the AMD.

:eek: :biorifle: