ping issues..

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Samiam

Jan 25, 2001
Visit site
specs:dell xps b800r, 128 rdram,nvidia geforce 256(6.5 driver), cable modem(@home.). 3com network card.

the problem:while running UT, I will have ping spikes that last anywhere from 20 secs to 5 minutes.. These spikes will usually reach around 1200(unplayable) When its working right, i ping from50-150 on most servers.. Ive had the @home people out here 3 times. They say everything is fine.. I Dwnldd a speed monitor and My upstream max wtih large files is around 140kb/s. Now, when running ut, it avg's about 40 kb's. So, i dont think its a upstream problem. I have set my speed to 56k in preferences and it did seem like it helped my spike issue, but its soo choppy and laggy that way.(unplayable)
Ive used different network cards and still the same problme. I also notice when I shut Ut down, my activity light still flashes for about 3 minutes.. ANd it flashes fast.. It also does it when I leave a game and im just in the menu.
This problem just appeared one day without me making any changes to UT or my system. Ive reinstalled UT once already and it didnt help..
DOes anyone have any suggestions? Im at the end of my rope!!!!!
FOrgot, im using UT version 436, but it also did it with 432.

Viking1

Highly Unstable
Aug 12, 2000
Winnipeg
www.cainsunited.net
Go here

http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_modems/cable_patches.shtml

Get the appropriate cable patch for your OS, the page loading patch is also worth getting. Also, if you have the @home software installed, you can uninstall it. Just enter your ID# in your Computer Name entry and set up your email with your username and password, everything seems to run better without it. But start with the patch and see how it goes.