UE2 - UT2kX Model rotation problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
I have the Unreal 2 marines converted to UT2004 as monsters. For the most part they work, but they have a problem whenever they turn while they're wandering. Their bodies rotate awkwardly and then get back into position after a few seconds.

Incorrect rotation:

Correct rotation:

One thing that might be the cause is how the skeleton is set up. The legs are influenced by the spine bone, while UT2004's characters are influenced by the pelvis.

Marine's bones:

UT2004 Mercenary's bones:

Strangely, the characters in UTXMP all have the same bone set up, with the exclusion of the female ranger. The problem does not happen when XMP's tech model is given to the marine. I made sure to copy all of the sockets from the tech to the marine, and I gave the marine the same FireRootBone.

Changing the marine's bone hierarchy to be the same as the UT2004 characters' screws up the animations. At this point I doubt the problem can be solved, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Yeah, that is definitely due to the way the axis is set up for the root bone. The native animation code controls that and assumes a specific bone orientation. Your options to fix are to mess with the skeletal rig (which as you said can severely screw up the animations), or try my UScriptAnim Pawn code and modify it to address just the torso twisting (see td_SetTwistLook function), or disable torso twisting altogether.