BioWare's Mass Effect Announced

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
BioWare has announced their latest project, Mass Effect, which will utilize Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3.0. A trailer and more media is available on the official website. More details about the game are available in the Fact Sheet and a few highlights are below:

“Mass Effect” is a science fiction action-RPG created by BioWare Corp., the commercially and critically acclaimed RPG developer of “Jade Empire,” “Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic,” “Neverwinter Nights,” and the “Baldur’s Gate” series. “Mass Effect” will deliver an immersive story driven gameplay experience with stunning visual fidelity. Published by Microsoft Game Studios, “Mass Effect” will be exclusively for the Xbox 360 video game system.

As the first human Specter – sworn defenders of galactic peace – your mission is to halt the advancing armies of a legendary agent gone rogue. But as you lead your elite team across hostile alien worlds, you will discover the true threat is far greater than anyone imagined.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The low-down:
“Mass Effect”
Fact Sheet
October 2005
Title: “Mass Effect”

Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios

Developer: BioWare Corp.

Format: DVD for the Xbox 360TM video game system

ESRB Rating: Pending

Availability: TBD

Pricing: TBD

Product

Overview:Mass Effect” is a science fiction action-RPG created by BioWare Corp., the commercially and critically acclaimed RPG developer of “Jade Empire,” “Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic,” “Neverwinter Nights,” and the “Baldur’s Gate” series. “Mass Effect” will deliver an immersive story driven gameplay experience with stunning visual fidelity. Published by Microsoft Game Studios, “Mass Effect” will be exclusively for the Xbox 360 video game system.

As the first human Specter – sworn defenders of galactic peace – your mission is to halt the advancing armies of a legendary agent gone rogue. But as you lead your elite team across hostile alien worlds, you will discover the true threat is far greater than anyone imagined.

Key Features:
· Immersive RPG: Determine the fate of mankind as you lead an elite tactical strike force as an epic galaxy-wide conflict unfolds. “Mass Effect” will take the player into new depths of an action-roleplaying game, with choice-based gameplay.

· Rich and engaging storyline. While defending galactic peace and earning a position of respect for humanity in the community, gamers will discover that a greater conflict between organic life and artificial intelligence exists. Players’ decisions and actions will serve to shape the destiny of all life in the galaxy as you become absorbed in the story that is “Mass Effect,” the first game in an epic trilogy from BioWare. They will become the center of an engrossing story as they battle against alien life forms to save the galaxy from threatening armies.

· Player controls the ultimate fate of the galaxy: The player’s decisions and actions will serve to shape the destiny of all life in the galaxy, while raising humanity to the pinnacle of galactic civilization via noble means or via tyranny.

· Real-time squad based combat: “Mass Effect” employs a real-time, squad based, tactical combat system. Players will be immersed in intense, challenging and exciting combat.

· Explore uncharted worlds: In addition to the main story arc of the game, players will be able to visit a large number of uncharted, unexplored planets which are not directly tied to the main story. At any time during the campaign, a player can choose to explore one of these planets in an all-terrain rover in order to discover new alien life, resources, ruined civilizations and powerful technologies.

· Digital actors: “Mass Effect” features a huge cast of in-engine digital actors that you will encounter as NPCs, enemies or as party members. Each will have life-like facial and body movements, and an advanced dialogue system will give them engaging personalities.

· Character customization. Players will be able to choose from a variety of stunning, photo-realistic character appearances at the start of the game, and throughout the game can increase various statistics which will have an impact on their performance during gameplay. Equipment, weapons and armor that are acquired during the course of the story will change the appearance of the characters.

· Next-generation gaming defined. “Mass Effect” takes advantage of Xbox 360’s hardware providing gamers with exciting new experiences, including photo-realistic, high definition graphics on an epic scale. As the future of gaming goes online, Xbox360 live features, including premium downloadable content and recognition of achievement will be available via the Xbox Live service.

Developer

Information: BioWare Corp. is an electronic entertainment company which develops computer and console video games. BioWare’s developers are hard at work on “Mass Effect”, the third BioWare-created intellectual property, and an Xbox™ 360exclusive. “Mass Effect” is an epic science-fiction roleplaying game set in a spectacular new vision of the future. BioWare recently completed work on “Jade Empire”, the first game based on a BioWare-created intellectual property. “Jade Empire” was released in April 2005 and has enjoyed critical and commercial success. BioWare is also hard at work on“Dragon Age”, a PC RPG set in a second brand-new fantasy world created and owned by BioWare. BioWare’s Technology Architecture Group is also developing cutting-edge next-generation BioWare Eclipse Engine™ technology for multiple platforms. BioWare has an online fan community at www.bioware.com consisting of more than 2.6 million registered users who regularly connect to discuss the company’s current and future games. In November 2004, the company launched the BioWare Online Store at store.bioware.com, where fans can purchase new content for their favorite BioWare titles and merchandise. Previously published projects include: the action-RPG of 2005 for Xbox, “Jade Empire”;the 2003 Game of the Year, “Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic” for PC and Xbox; the award-winning “Neverwinter Nights” series; the genre-defining “Baldur's Gate” role-playing game series for the PC; “MDK2” for Dreamcast and PC, “MDK2: Armageddon” for PlayStation®2, and “Shattered Steel.” BioWare information can be found online at www.bioware.com.

#########
The information contained in this fact sheet relates to a prerelease product that may be substantially modified before its first commercial release. Accordingly, the information may not accurately describe or reflect the product when first commercially released. This fact sheet is provided for informational purposes only and Microsoft and BioWare make no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the fact sheet or the information contained in it.

Mass Effect © 2004-2005 BioWare Corp. Mass Effect, the Mass Effect logo, BioWare Corp., the BioWare Corp. logo, BioWare and the BioWare logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of BioWare Corp. in the United States, Canada and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved. Microsoft, the Microsoft Game Studios logo, Xbox 360, and the Xbox 360 logos are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other countries.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Here's a treat for you news forum dwellers...

I located a gi-normous .psd of the Mass Effect characters. Here's a look at it in .jpg.

Attachments

• mecharacters.jpg
    mecharacters.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 213

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
The trailer for that looked awesome.

Thanks for the pic, hal. That is probably the best looking heavy armor character I've ever seen.

I feel very very tempted to buy xbox360 instead of upgrading my Q4 comp(buying soon) for ut2k7. That would be my 1st console.

Juguard

The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!
Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
great, another exclusive. I still wont buy a Xbox 360. Bioware rules, but thats crap. They just simply gave in and made a deal with Microsoft for a few games, just like Epic did.

I love both Epic, and Bioware, but its nothing I can do about it. If one day they will be ported, I'll buy them, till then,...

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Just buy the fecking console..
God, all these 'i like that, but i want it on this' people.

How about you have ferrari performance in your Ford? Yeah that'd be nice, but will it ever happen? Nah. You'd have to buy the fecking thing. It's what you have money for, it's why you have jobs, it's why a thing called 'credit' exists.

If you want something, go and get it. Doh.

Otherwise, stop whining about not having the system - WHICH YOU CAN GET IF YOU WANT.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
eh, exclusives are a good thing.
They lift and separate, like a good bra.

BTW, does anyone think that fat little robot thing looks like Neban from Unreal2?
I admit I haven't seen a pic of Neban in a while, but still.
________
Child zoloft

Last edited:

SiN-BiN

Aug 21, 2004
Plumb_Drumb said:
BTW, does anyone think that fat little robot thing looks like Neban from Unreal2?
I admit I haven't seen a pic of Neban in a while, but still.

Didnt quite look like him but reminded me of him as well.

Trenar

Amateur
Mar 5, 2004
Germany
After i heard that Bioware wanted to create a RPG with the Unreal-Engine using a RPG-Layer they wanted to create specifically for that purpose, i had hoped it would be coming out with an enchanced UnrealED or an additional Editor for that Layer.

I guess i got my hopes a bit too high up. :(

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Bioware will probably release it on the PC eventually anyways, not all exclusives stay exclusive.

U

Unregistered

Looks like they are making Kotor without the starwars name, hehehe.

The screenshots looked pretty good, but its only when you see it in motion in the trailer where it looks damn good.

um.... is it just me or does this game sound EXACTLY like the plot of Unreal2? common "As the first human Specter – sworn defenders of galactic peace – your mission is to halt the advancing armies of a legendary agent gone rogue. But as you lead your elite team across hostile alien worlds, you will discover the true threat is far greater than anyone imagined."

even that fat alien looks like Neban. then again what do I know.... I cant imagine this game will be anywhere near as rediculous as that game.

Dean Avanti

who watches the watchers
May 13, 2002
UK
i switch off on most of these sci fi stories, i can never be bothered to read them, how about something simple that people can relate to without all the daft sci fi cliches attached to it. Least this one keeps it down to a few plot lines which is something.

Last edited:

DarkWaver

Mar 24, 2000
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
Hehe - all this sounds very exciting but then again: I'm always critical with this "everything the player does affects the whole world". It never worked for me in games like Outcast or Morrowind. But then again I find this game very interesting: it may will get what Unreal 2 and Pariah wanted to be.

About this console stuff: a Xbox 360 will cost less then a 3D card you need to run UEngine 3 on a PC and as far as I know I can connect my 19" TFT to it so I'm really thinking about buying an 360 if more cool games like GoW or this one come out.

Looking forward to this game,

Alex