Tencent owns 48% of Epic Games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I had no idea such a large chunk of Epic Games was in the hands of another investor/owner.
Everything that's been happening over there over the last 12 months or so starts to make sense now.
Can't be easy making creative, or business decisions when someone else owns half the company, so I can't say I'm surprised to see some of the original guys jump ship.
Damned shame though - Epic Games were my heroes for many years and the only reason I'm in this industry right now.
How times have changed.

raziel31

Nov 25, 2003
South F.
Visit site
I wouldn't doubt for a minute that some of the departures might have had something to do with the changing power structure at Epic Games. It would be unrealistic to think that everyone would be ok with it. At the same time, I'm sure each of them had other compelling reasons to leave as well.

You must be kidding :D That's the reason...

How times have changed.
+1

We just don't know atm if it is a good or a bad thing, that's the point...but Epic is no more the Epic we used to know ...;)

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Wow, it has been a while since I have posted here.

I do feel that for a company to continue to exist and grow, new blood needs to be transfused into the company.

While I have fond memories and nostalgia of the old times, I guess there is a fact of life now that things have moved on from there.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
[SAS]Solid Snake;2586059 said:
Wow, it has been a while since I have posted here.

I do feel that for a company to continue to exist and grow, new blood needs to be transfused into the company.

While I have fond memories and nostalgia of the old times, I guess there is a fact of life now that things have moved on from there.
It's never that simple. And this isn't new blood by having great artists came in, it's quite the opposite, it's blood letting.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Then is 100% for sure no more unreal nor ut with those old people, i dont like to see intruders inside Epic that did not develope/live and played the Unreal series games....wow I see more darker their future

I'm not convinced that it will make a difference either way nor that if it makes a difference, it will be bad. It isn't as though UT has been flourishing under the management of the old regime. The last version was UT3 which was a complete disaster and the company does not seem to have considered producing a UT sequel ever since. How much worse could the situation get?

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Iirc this is standard practice under Chinese trade laws. When a foreign corp wants full access to the internal market it needs to agree to a 49% shareholder stake by a domestic corp within a period of 3 years (or something among those lines).

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
49% is over half?

And yes, I know the actual consumer base in China isn't going to be the full 1 billion(technically ~1.3 billion), but even if they can only reach a quarter of China's actual(1.3B) population, it's still more people than the population of the entire US