Food stamp glitch leads to Wal-Mart stampede

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
:shake:

Wal-Mart (WMT -0.19%) stores in Springhill and Mansfield, La., saw a stampede and a shelf-clearing rush Saturday after a computer glitch for food stamp recipients led to benefit cards allowing unlimited purchases.

Police were called as entire shelves were being cleared out, until the glitch was fixed and low-income residents using the cards were no longer allowed to make purchases.

From news station KSLA:

"Springhill Police Chief Will Lynd confirms they were called in to help the employees at Wal-Mart because there were so many people clearing off the shelves. He says Wal-Mart was so packed, 'it was worse than any black Friday' that he's ever seen.

Lynd explained the cards weren't showing limits and they called corporate Wal-Mart, whose spokesman said to let the people use the cards anyway. From 7 to 9 p.m., people were loading up their carts, but when the cards began showing limits again around 9, one woman was detained because she rang up a bill of $700 and only had .49 on her card. She was held by police until corporate Wal-Mart said they wouldn't press charges if she left the food.

Lynd says at 9 p.m., when the cards came back online and it was announced over the loud speaker, people just left their carts full of food in the aisles and left."

No arrests were made.

"Just about everything is gone. I've never seen it in that condition," Mansfield Wal-Mart customer Anthony Fuller told KSLA.

Source

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Like no one here wouldn't do the same thing.

Those asshole poors! We should deport them! Also, poor fucking Wal-Mart. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
And everyone despises them.

Some people think not being poor is a simple decision. HEY! I think I'll not be poor today! Simple!

yep, I skimmed the comments on that article. It's shameful how some people start to judge a huge number of people based on one anecdote and arrive at the conclusion that everyone( in the food stamp system) is a lazy thief who deservedly is poor. I hope these people wake up one day to find out they got fired for reasons not concerning them(outsourcing, downsizing due to errors on CEO level, etc...) . Just a little reality check.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
yep, I skimmed the comments on that article. It's shameful how some people start to judge a huge number of people based on one anecdote and arrive at the conclusion that everyone( in the food stamp system) is a lazy thief who deservedly is poor. I hope these people wake up one day to find out they got fired for reasons not concerning them(outsourcing, downsizing due to errors on CEO level, etc...) . Just a little reality check.

One does have to wonder what percentage of these people are poor from their own making. This is not typical activity or attitudes from people who strive to be self-sufficient, nor is it atypical of persons who are generally dependent on taxpayer funded services. Just sayin'.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I find it funny that just a few days ago some woman came out and was all like "Don't judge us, we all aren't that bad". Then this happens. People are people. They see a loophole and they will take it. If they are able to track who went over on their limit, I say take the card away and fuck off.

Now some bitches will say "omg you hate the poors". Well I also hate people who take advantage of a glitch and steal a couple hundred dollars more than their card allows.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
You wouldn't do it? Be honest.

No I wouldn't. It's called integrity.

The people that went all wookie that day lost all integrity and respect. Take their card away or if anything do not let them use the thing till the over balance has been justified. Better make that food last.

Honestly I try to find good reasons to believe people are on foodstamps for a justifiable reason, but this incident certainly doesn't help matters. It also doesn't help matters when you see an obvious food stamp user who is also packing a nice shiny cell phone.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If I were to guess, I would say you're in the minority.

If you found money on the sidewalk, you'd return it to the nearest police station, right?

ITT: Good and wholesome ladies and gentlemen. Breakers of no laws.

The only reason you people are pissed off is because it had to do with people on food stamps. They got free shit from Wal-Mart?! Those fucking savages!

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I find it funny that just a few days ago some woman came out and was all like "Don't judge us, we all aren't that bad". Then this happens. People are people. They see a loophole and they will take it. If they are able to track who went over on their limit, I say take the card away and fuck off.

Now some bitches will say "omg you hate the poors". Well I also hate people who take advantage of a glitch and steal a couple hundred dollars more than their card allows.

Generally word.

What about rich people who avoid taxes and the banks who have made billions out of everyone and then pay their directors multi-million dollar payouts during GFC's? Or multi-million dollar fraudsters........

I think there has been a lot of hate directed there too.

People are people. They see a loophole and they will take it.

Greed is good.........

evolution-greed-money-284152.jpeg

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Personally I think good on them. I only hope they got canned food/stuff that preserves well and store it up, because that would save money for a couple of weeks which is actually a massive plus when you're poor and could actually do a lot of good in the long run if they plan well and keep it in mind.

If they were just grabbing ALL the blu-ray players and a shopping trolley full of chicken... Well that's a bit short sighted.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
This year active duty military members will receive $100,000,000.oo in SNAP (food stamps) assistance. Frick'n "dependent on taxpayer funded services" free-loaders!

81% of SNAP recipients either work full-time jobs, are children, elderly, or disabled. Frick'n "dependent on taxpayer funded services" free-loaders!

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Americans spent almost $75B on food assistance programs in 2012. The Obama Administration has increased the SNAP roles by offering it to more and more families, many of whom aren't living in or near poverty, including military personnel. This doesn't implicate or exclude military recipients form abusing the system.

SNAP isn't the only such program. While abuse of government programs isn't limited to any economic class of people, just take a look at how individuals in the same state abused government assistance after Katrina.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
You see poor walking around with cell phones because companies do everything possible to make them affordable so they can have a sale, even if it is not as grand a sale as they can make on someone else. You can buy the phone outright, you can get a phone for cheap with the yearly contract (IE making the phone affordable so they can milk you for money with the service), or as readily available as buying minutes. All of these options were created for varying levels of customer. For a company to shun a demographic because they are poor or rich would also mean they would loose sale. So they make some special deals and advertise the industry and culture so that everyone has to have a phone, and everyone can get a cell phone deal.

The reality is that people are weak minded. Our society revolves around advertisement, sales, marketing, and making profit. If you can convince weak minded, whether poor or rich, to buy your product then you make money whether or not it screws the person over; their monetary status dos not matter. You can always blame them, for they fell into societal pressure to have the latest gadget.

Or, you can accept that as a universal constant, and actually try and do something to shrink the income gap. Close loopholes. Get rid of retarded trickle down taxes. Make corporate fraud and high-income crimes have much bigger punishment when violated. Lock up CEO's for 20 years after stealing billions instead of a teen with some drugs.

Oh yeah and also, being in the military totally pays well.

http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/money/basic-pay-active-duty-soldiers.html
http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/13poverty.cfm

Lets take a Corporal with 4 years of experience...$27,659
Poverty line for him/her to support spouse and two kids...$23,550

Such great pay!

You can play with the numbers/experience/size of family...military DOES NOT pay well. Then you consider the fact that most of our force consists of the poor, less educated, and immigrants. Just what our nation needs! Lets keep gutting education programs and making it difficult to become a citizen so we can supply all our war effort to topple dictators and hand out contracts to mega-corporations that our leaders have stock in. Rich get richer, poor get fucked.

Last edited: