Unreal Tournament Shelved For Several Years

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
So, aside Shadow Complex (that I really, really want), has Epic hinted the development of other new games? Like the one from People Can Fly, I mean.

Maybe thats the main reason to not making another new ut, right? ;) shadow complex is very interesting xd

Northrawn did you put name's girlfriend in spacenoxx map? Lol is very distracting :p Anyway the sacrifice map is very fun!... now this remember this map xd

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
I did one for UT3 (a simple one to practice) which made it to Planetunreal's news page.

planetunreal still exists? I though it died together with PC gaming

So, aside Shadow Complex (that I really, really want), has Epic hinted the development of other new games? Like the one from People Can Fly, I mean.

Actually, Epic did hint they were working on something new at around the 3:10 mark he says that Epic is working on a few _new_ things. Remember, Chair and PeopleCanFly are not Epic, they are partially independent teams.

intentsly

Feb 20, 2008
"save 2k3..."
I feel the fundamental problem with UT these days is that most people want class based fpses (give or take with mmo elements like levels and unlocks) with goals that give a context nowadays. Flat-out deathmatch or CTF with 'all weapons for everyone' is seen as archaic and out of date.

I still enjoy UT3, but I don't have the time and energy to 'get into it' in terms of working on my skills and playing competitively.

There was no saving 2kx by the way.
I don't think people want class based fps's, its just what's thrown at them.
It's the fad.
Flat-out deathmatch and CTF still Kicks-A$$ and unless you're a bloody purist who can't play 'below pro level' you're the ones missing out; kind of killing the community at the same time.
I don't see much difference in obtaining unlocks and topping the ladders. You have to play a lot to get there in either case. Both are rewarding.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Then what about the competition between Quake series and the Unreal series? I doubt it. Unreal4Life!

That has nothing to do with what I was referring to. The UT series, for many, has not gone onward & upward since UT2003 was released. For a great many, it went the opposite direction. Nevzat was speaking for a great many in that regard.

And now we're being told UT is being shelved. In the end, the word "shelved" could just end up being a smokescreen for "sh!tcanned". Time will tell.

Last edited:

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
It has been a nice 10 years. RIP best FPS of all times.

I believe (and I wish I am wrong) that we are never going to see an FPS with such a depth in movement, gametypes, mods, weapons, and overall madness. The skill bar is just too high to get sales in the millions with this kind of games.

Kafros

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Oh, now it is the mappers' fault... :rolleyes: ...it is simple (as Lruce stated): He moved on because the game didn't do something for him. Putting the blame on people who don't like the game is stupid... EDIT: very stupid.

Did you make a map, Sonny?

No?

I did one for UT3 (a simple one to practice) which made it to Planetunreal's news page.
The overall pessimistic attitude about the game didn't help it at all. You really can't argue with that. If people didn't like it and just moved on, fine. But a lot of them didn't. They hung around whining about every little thing for months and months.

brold9999

Apr 5, 2009
Epic could still be planning another arena shooter. I'm not in love with the Unreal setting particularly - an arena shooter in some other setting might be just as good.

I doubt Epic is planning to leave UE modders out in the cold - I would expect they are still going to release "tech demo" games that is just as moddable even if they aren't "UT".

Forgetful

Here is party?
Sep 21, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
Visit site
More like RIP Big production FPS.

They just aren't worth putting money into. If we ever see another decent twitch FPS it will come out of an indie developer.

I'll probably never buy another high end PC for gaming again if they make keyboard and mouse an option on console

It was a nice run and I'll never forget the original "Unreal".

Peace out fellas.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
If they open up the engine to modders that will be a good then. Then maybe they could leave the job of creating the next UT to the community. The community right now could probably create a better UT than Epic anyway.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The overall pessimistic attitude about the game didn't help it at all. You really can't argue with that. If people didn't like it and just moved on, fine. But a lot of them didn't. They hung around whining about every little thing for months and months.

they even continue now ... *blergh*
In fact for an engine as mod-friendly as the UE there sure are a lot of lazy trolls.
Pretty much any defect that is/was mentioned could have been fixxed if people were willing to spend a little time in learning how to do it. Instead modern communities appear to demand that the 'official' developers make it so or else ... they'll throw a temper tantrum and curse the developers to hell and back !

OTOH a lot of mod-teams/mappers had and continue to have extremely unrealistic expectations as far as time, effort, publicity & fanbase were/are concerned.
As such I doubt that moving on to a different game/platform will help no matter how refreshing a change of editor/platform can be ...
the more things change, the more they'll stay the same

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The skill bar is just too high to get sales in the millions with this kind of games.

That was one hell of a issue.
After UT3's release, lots of people who were new to the series didn't want to play it anymore because the game was just too frenetic/hard/pros everywhere. Certain players don't like losing.

And the game kicked ass. Oh well, Epic shelved UT again, just like they almost did after UT1 and UT2k4. It's not like we're new to this. It's a series that doesn't necessarily need a new game every four years.
And keep Epic developing the games, not the community. I can smell an even bigger ****load of wars between spam and hitscan, real man movements and monkey-dodgejumping, etc...

Last edited:

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
I have just read that they plan to "open the engine" even more to the community.
In wich way could this be done?

Make the future (no ut) games based on UE3 more opened to modders?
Develop new patches with the new engine improvements to use for modding in UT3?
Release a new an advanced unreal runtime with a newer version of the engine?

I hope is not the unreal runtime option.
Its always faster to have some game as a base to begin to mod.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
It's a good thing, to many people kept wanting more and more UT which meant pushing games out quickly (UT2003, UT3) which needed massive addons later on.

It now leaves open the chance for Unreal 3, maybe some more work with DE or maybe something away from massive suits and blowing the crap out of everything.