Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Paranorman 3D
With Kids: 8/10
Without: 7.5

I should preface my comments with a mention that this stop-motion movie is from the makers of Coraline - a brilliantly dark and twisted "kid" movie of the same genre. A boy with a "gift" of seeing (and talking with) dead people goes through his daily routines of being bullied at school and misunderstood at home until he learns (from his uncle played by John Goodman) that a decades-old task of holding off a zombie apocalypse falls to him by default.

I thought the story was just a bit more mainstream than Coraline, but the premise and unfolding twists were just off-beat enough to keep it from feeling pedestrian. I wish it had been just a tad bit scarier but the spots of humor were just right. It's pretty much the cutting edge of stop motion and it looked great and, though tastefully done, I'd love to have seen them do more with the 3D aspect of the movie.

For parents, there are a couple of mild curse words (and implications of curse words) and some very mild sexual tension between the older sister and her would-be boyfriend. The violence is minimal. There are spots were it could be intense for very young children but it always tempers the horror with a touch of whimsy.

It's not as good as Coraline, but it's a real solid story and looks great, plus it's the kind of movie parents and kids can watch together without either group feeling dumb or uncomfortable.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Paranorman 3D
With Kids: 8/10
Without: 7.5

I should preface my comments with a mention that this stop-motion movie is from the makers of Coraline - a brilliantly dark and twisted "kid" movie of the same genre. A boy with a "gift" of seeing (and talking with) dead people goes through his daily routines of being bullied at school and misunderstood at home until he learns (from his uncle played by John Goodman) that a decades-old task of holding off a zombie apocalypse falls to him by default.

I thought the story was just a bit more mainstream than Coraline, but the premise and unfolding twists were just off-beat enough to keep it from feeling pedestrian. I wish it had been just a tad bit scarier but the spots of humor were just right. It's pretty much the cutting edge of stop motion and it looked great and, though tastefully done, I'd love to have seen them do more with the 3D aspect of the movie.

For parents, there are a couple of mild curse words (and implications of curse words) and some very mild sexual tension between the older sister and her would-be boyfriend. The violence is minimal. There are spots were it could be intense for very young children but it always tempers the horror with a touch of whimsy.

It's not as good as Coraline, but it's a real solid story and looks great, plus it's the kind of movie parents and kids can watch together without either group feeling dumb or uncomfortable.

I would have thought the better score came from being without kids. Having to hear constant yammering and loudness that just makes you want to throw them from the top of the theatre.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Alpha Dog - 4/10
Part of the movie is very well made, gripping and occasionally a few of the actors shine through a lousy script which sadly made most of the movie messy and painful to watch.

Would also have liked the pool scene to be a bit longer.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I would have thought the better score came from being without kids. Having to hear constant yammering and loudness that just makes you want to throw them from the top of the theatre.

I should clarify that by saying the score refers to seeing the movie with your own kids. Other peoples' kids always suck and knock down the score a good point or so.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Tekken-4/10

I didn't know this flick existed until last night when it came on cable tv. It's probably just as well.

I've followed the evolution of this game from the PS1 days and played all the releases up to the latest one on my brothers PS2 and PS3. It's been a bit of a perennial game for me.

The film, while looking o.k., was a stale blend of Running Man/Rollerball corporate philosophy mixed with some other archetypes and some average action sequences. Eventually the story went nowhere as if they were in a hurry to get the movie over and done with.

It was interesting seeing some of the game characters brought to life but I wouldn't bother with this film again........

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
SPOLERS ahead - Line of Duty

Line of Duty 9/10

Easily the best TV police corruption drama I've seen since Between the Lines.

Just go and watch it before you read any further.

Many SPOILERS below. Look away now if you are reading this in an email.

Right from the start, this is something special.

A counter-terrorism operation gone badly wrong establishes the investigator. His honesty about what went wrong has left him as damaged goods but the strength of character he has shown lands him a berth in AC-12 as an anti-corruption investigator.

He's set to investigating the Police Force's Golden Boy - Officer of the Year etc.

This series has two great strengths - an outstanding performance by Lennie James as DCI Gates (the officer under investigation) and the ability to tread that fine line (aided in no small part by James's performance) between is he or isn't he corrupt (and without cheating).

The character of DCI Gates follows an almost Macbeth-like trajectory. He is ambitious and able but he makes mistakes (or are they?) and as his situation becomes more desperate he is driven to more and more extreme measures. James captures that descent from confidence to desperation very well. Although DCI Gates commits extreme acts in the later stages of the series, they could still be the acts of an innocent who is convinced that his explanation will not be believed.

The series is also very strong on the petty corruption of bureaucracy. In some ways, it seems worse than the corruption of which DCI Gates is accused (in the beginning, merely minor administrative corruption - padding clear-up rates etc - later, far more serious).

Why not a 10? Well, some of the less important characters seem a bit thinly drawn and I did guess some secrets before they were revealed but these are minor gripes.

This gripped from the start to the very finish (where the significance of the title was revealed).

It's about a week since I finished watching it and it is still echoing around in my head.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Starship Troopers: Invasion - 6/10

A big step up from the atrocious third film and the nonsense that was the second, it's still not a patch from the original. The entirely new CG format does however they can be a lot more grandiose with the setting, and this pays off. Still totally lacking of the humour of the original, and despite bringing back much of the original cast, it just doesn't feel the same. Too much military action, none of the dark humour and style, it's a generic sci-fi romp with a reasonable plot. Too much pointless female nudity in the early film and there are a couple of absurd female costumes that I blame entirely on the Japanese animation studio.

Last edited: