Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
BBA: What happened with the stolen photo settlement thing?

It's still going on, but I feel it is going to end with that the thief getting away with it due to New Zealand's wacky IP laws. Fuck me...:(

Anyway, I took some photos while out skiing in Niigata Prefecture at Kagura Ski Resort. So far the best place I've skied in Japan. I wrote some words about it too if you are interested.

Getting Out And Away From The Noise by Jason_Combs, on Flickr

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
It's been a while since I've had a chance to really go out and shoot. I run in the mornings before work along the Edogawa River and I turn around at this point. On weekends there is tons of baseball games going on and to me it feels like kind of a staple of Japanese summers. The imagery of it all sums up summer in Japan Tokyo for me. People love baseball here possibly more than Americans and they've been playing it about equally as long.

Summer By The Edogawa by Jason_Combs, on Flickr

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I took my wife and son to a state park. It had an old cemetery. Not a photo for the sake of artistry but I found the content interesting and I thought some of you might also.

ZHx0EQB.jpg

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Might not have had anything to do with it, but Fort Parker (the state park where this is at) and the subsequent ghost town of old Springfield was right on a westward expansion trail used during the California gold rush (1848-1855).

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Sorry for the double post but I saw this and thought of some of you people. I don't qualify :)( ) I wish I did but then that might well be too much camera for a beginner such as myself. Perhaps however some of you do... Given the prize I felt the almost off-topic double post was warranted, but then maybe I have been naively sold on the hype about that thing.
http://www.digitalphotopro.com/8th-annual-emerging-pro.html

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
[GU]elmur_fud;2611269 said:
Sorry for the double post but I saw this and thought of some of you people. I don't qualify :)( ) I wish I did but then that might well be too much camera for a beginner such as myself. Perhaps however some of you do... Given the prize I felt the almost off-topic double post was warranted, but then maybe I have been naively sold on the hype about that thing.
http://www.digitalphotopro.com/8th-annual-emerging-pro.html

Thanks, but I usually avoid them. There is either some kind of scamming catch, or they have a very particular style of photo in mind which doesn't match my style.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Thanks, but I usually avoid them. There is either some kind of scamming catch, or they have a very particular style of photo in mind which doesn't match my style.

It is an annual contest hosted by a well known magazine even so I did look into it pretty thoroughly before I posted it here.

They are pretty stringent though. The categories are sports and photojournalism, fashion and beauty, and fine art. Additionally you must either be a student enrolled in a photography or filmmaking course or a pro with no more then 5 years experience as such.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Last week we had the "Tall ships regatta" in Falmouth, and there will be hundreds of photos of the ships and boats in all their finery and flags.
However this basically happens in my back-yard, so I am very de-sensitised to ships and boats.

On the first and last day, I went outside before sunrise to capture my world waking up (my fave time), and get the only pictures of peace and tranquillity you will see, before the drunken sailors wake up and head to the start of the race.

111177580.jpg

111177634.jpg

111177707.jpg

111177658.jpg

I did a quick video clip at the same time, just to show the peace, and my position in the landscape.
[M]www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9K0Vs_r5hs[/M]
There are a few more uploaded and geo-tagged at Panoramio
http://www.panoramio.com/user/doc.flay/tags/Tall Ships
Mostly my photos try to be as WYSIWYG as possible, so you know these are the real views and not retouched, filtered or enhanced in any way.
This tends to makes me think more creatively on-site, and since my camera with RAW has died, getting the contrasts right first time is now far more important :(

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Thanks, I just have a nice view I can practice with :D
Southern Cornwall is a bit nicer / warmer than most of the British Isles.
And just to prove I am in the UK, here is a picture of a tree outside the train station along the road :lol:
(Not a good shot, but just done to include the sign)
108005096.jpg

I am hoping for one of the rare occasions we get snow here so I can get photos of palm trees covered in snow.
That will really fry a few heads !

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I'd like to think my photography skills are improving even though this was taken on a cell phone. (Note 3 using open source camera app instead of stock camera app)

[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/nlpybLH.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I installed a camera app on my note 3 awhile back that claims to bring professional grade features to the note (FV-5 is the app name). It is bloody foggy here this morning and I was taking advantage of that. At the time this was taken I was messing with exposure length trying to understand what effect various lengths had on the practical outcome of a still photo.

I was just photographing some leaves with the grey foggy sky as a background. When the neighbors dog came running across the road and knocked me off my feet and onto my face before I could react. I can guess that the long blurred bits are probably grass or whatever was streaking past as I went down but how did everything turn blue?
2tvcWtj.png

Turned out kinda cool looking though. I ain't even mad.

This is another photo taken from the same point (facing the opposite direction) the fog appears slightly pink or red tinted (color blind at that spectrum so I am guessing to an extent). The leaves were green... just can't figure out why it turned blue.
dzLV6Ui.jpg

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Dr. Flay, those shots are really nice. I would love to live near something like that. Now that I'm a broke dick old man, I too love getting out early. I seldom can bring myself to go out without some reason to do so, but it feels good to be up and out of the house at an early hour. I feel really productive.

Anyway, it's been a while since I've had the chance to go out and shoot. I dragged my wife and daughter out of the house early one Saturday morning a few weeks ago to get a shot of Mt. Fuji from the Tokyo Skytree since the weather was forecast to be sunny and clear. I'm pretty happy with my shots. I wanted to use a PL filter, but the windows were so dirty that you it would make the dirt show up in the shots. If I could of used it, Mt. Fuji would be a lot more clear and the haze in the shot gone. Oh well...

Also, this is my first posted shot with my new sexeh Plustek OpiticFilm 8200i dedicated 35mm film scanner. These are the sharpest scans I've ever gotten. It's pretty tits.

Good Morning Tokyo by Jason_Combs, on Flickr

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
So for a while now I've been contemplating buying a new camera, but don't really want to go too high. It seems like the newest entry level cameras have vastly improved over what I have now, the Canon EOS 1000D, which was entry level back in 2007 or so.
So much that the 100D actually appears to be a better purchase than a 7D. I mention the 7D specifically, because I've found a pretty good deal on it. However it is an old camera, and in some areas it appears to show its age.
At the end of the day, I can still shoot some really awesome photos with the 1000D, it gets the job done, but I do sometimes miss some more megapixels and a larger view finder. Perhaps my desire to get a new camera is just me being silly.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
So for a while now I've been contemplating buying a new camera, but don't really want to go too high. It seems like the newest entry level cameras have vastly improved over what I have now, the Canon EOS 1000D, which was entry level back in 2007 or so.
So much that the 100D actually appears to be a better purchase than a 7D. I mention the 7D specifically, because I've found a pretty good deal on it. However it is an old camera, and in some areas it appears to show its age.
At the end of the day, I can still shoot some really awesome photos with the 1000D, it gets the job done, but I do sometimes miss some more megapixels and a larger view finder. Perhaps my desire to get a new camera is just me being silly.

I wouldn't worry so much about megapixels anymore. As long as you have at least 18M you are set. I would concern myself more with image quality. High ISO isn't a big deal anymore either. Just how good is the image quality compared to others.

How much are you looking to spend?

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I wouldn't worry so much about megapixels anymore. As long as you have at least 18M you are set. I would concern myself more with image quality. High ISO isn't a big deal anymore either. Just how good is the image quality compared to others.

How much are you looking to spend?

Initially I was looking at about $800, but that was based off the decent deal on the 7D. I did look into the IQ on some DPReviews, and the difference between the 7D and 100D appeared very small, almost negligible, which indicates to me that the 100D would be a huge upgrade over my current camera, and I'd not be out of all that much money then. My one problem with the 100D is that it's tiny. Reviewers say that it's okay though, so I might just go for that one.
I wanna stay with Canon because of the lenses I've got.