FragBU: Friday 11/4 and Saturday 11/5

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Catalyst 5.10, which is the current.

I played a bot match on Slainchild's CTF version of his Campgrounds and I seriously got 37 FPS at points in bot battles when I was getting 120 just running around. WTF. :(

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Dark Pulse said:
ggs tonight, even if it was only half the night due to Funk finding that absolutely wacky VCTF server that pulled several other people away.

Those of you who didn't follow us... you missed something special, indeed. ;)

I've been playing there almost daily for months. I heard you on TS and decided I had to go kick your butts for a change.

Oh, something I've been wondering about for a long time:

"Cymek loaded an unknown class"

What exactly is going on there? (I mean other than h4x!!!111)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
To clarify - if this is something that has just recently begun to happen, of course it won't be the CPU, but like I said before - UT2004 is highly CPU dependant. You're talking about a scene filling up with players and your frames dropping... well, it isn't necessarily the model polys that'll cause slowdown... there's A LOT going on in the scene that requires CPU power. I have an AMD, so I can't compare your specs, but if it's been an ongoing problem, that's a possibility.

Bots require lots of CPU too. So that's also a good indicator.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
nuttella said:
I've been playing there almost daily for months. I heard you on TS and decided I had to go kick your butts for a change.

Heh, yeah I was wondering about that, the people there seemed to know you. :)

I "load an unknown class" because I use a custom voicepack, although it's a stock skin. So whenever that pack gets loaded (ironicaly, its stock UT2004 content that just had to be enabled) it calls me on hax. I have yet to be kicked by antiTcc for it though, although I have yet to NOT be kicked by safegame for it.

ArcadiaVincennes

Level Designer
May 20, 2004
Joisee
www.avld.org
T2A if you've had the machine 2 yrs and done no maintenance, then I'd reccomend running as many virus and spyware sweeps as you can, uninstalling programs you no longer use, making sure you don't have many 'backround' prgrams running when you play, and even consider cleaning your registry and doing a defrag after everything else is said and done.

I do agree that it sounds like your CPU rather than the vid card is the one taking a beating for some reason. My first bet would be the backround programs eating up some extra cycles but there shouldn't be enough to cause the game to chug that significantly.

Still, if you haven't done any maintenance, then I'd suggest going through the above list.

Could also consider some BIOS flashing and even check the windows update but we all know those are 'dangerous' tasks, lol.

Good games Fri night. Thanks for the fun as always. :)

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
A reformat always helps as well. I reformatted a few months ago and I increased my FPS by about 10-20. You'd be surprised at how many random programs run in the background or take up HD space etc.

Before you do anything though, download the latest drivers for your mobo, vid card, sound card, etc. This way, even if your internet doesn't work immediately after you reformat, you can still have everything in working order.

If you haven't already, download Crap Cleaner as well. It's powerful, small, and free.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
No maintenance? Pfft. I reformatted a month or two ago due to Fedora Core 4 eating my boot record. I've got no extra programs running except the usual mIRC, Xfire, AVG, and whatever. I might need to defrag now, but I doubt that would do much in the way of FPS.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
nuttella said:

You really didn't kick our butts... Cheese on the Hellraiser map, and admittedly a 7-5 win on that last one... but you had human help there. ;)

As for Cymek, he has a voicepack that AntiTCC Freaks out on. It's just customary to shout "hax!" when a warning pops up... for anyone.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Dark Pulse said:
You really didn't kick our butts... Cheese on the Hellraiser map, and admittedly a 7-5 win on that last one... but you had human help there. ;)

Compared to our match-ups on FragBU, I positively owned you :p
I outscored all of you, too, but then I was the only one who knew how to do the poo poo combo.:lol:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
JohnDoe641 said:
First poop!
Double Poop!
Multi Poop!
MEGA Poop!
ULTRA POOP!
MONSTER POOP!
Ludicrous POOP!
Devine Feces!!@airplane
Oookay...You are hereby banned from all public toilets on the planet earth.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Hyrulian Hero said:
We have a thread for favourite skins, we should also have a thread for favourite voicepacks so we can actually hear your custom voices :)

Yep that'd be cool. Rewdalf is a Scottish laddie that's just hilarious to listen to... http://ut2004.levels4you.com/downloads.l4y?cat=191&review=13474

I don't have my own 'cause I sound more like an Irish laddie and that's just yuk :lol: (also why I don't use a mic)

@ T2A I'm surprised no one's recommended you first check your user.ini file as that gets really bloated with useless information. I keep mine trim and haven't had a problem since it's a good habit to have. What I did is backed it up, deleted it. Started up 2k4 using the default and added any entries I needed from the old one. ut2004.ini is another one might be worth looking at.

Anything new you might have installed recently such as a new model that might cause the problem? Other mutators could cause it I suppose. I know I got my first GPF in months once AntiTCCi was installed on Friday's FragBU.

Defrag whatever drive 2k4 is on. Defrag whatever drive your pagefile (virtual memory) is on. They're just some suggestions as I've pretty similar specs and rarely if ever have issues :)

Last edited:

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
While I'm here, any chance of getting JB's EnableJailFight add-on on the server as it'd give us noobs something to do while we're there ;)

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
klasnic said:
While I'm here, any chance of getting JB's EnableJailFight add-on on the server as it'd give us noobs something to do while we're there ;)

That's on already. Whip out your shieldgun and have some fun :)