D3D9Drv.dll

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
Alas, after playing thru 2 onlsaught matches and 2 CTF matches without incident, I had high hopes that switching the voltage settings on the AGP in BIOS as you suggested might have actually fixed the problem.
But in an empty deathmatch map where I turned off the bots and was just inspecting the model in game and testing the taunts, it happened again.
Not a spontaneous reboot at least, but a total system lockup - where the game freezes with the screen showing whatever was happening at the time, and the speakers emitting a high pitched whining shriek sounding like a cross between the emergency broadcast system buzzer and a loop of whatever sound was playing when the system froze up.

Even control+alt+delete can't pull you out of the lock up, and you have to shut down the power and restart. So it may as well be a spontaneous reboot, since it ends in rebooting anyway.

Back to the drawing board. :( Any other suggestions....?

Slyrr

Last edited:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
TomWithTheWeather said:
There is no reason to use it. Other than a few bugs, there is absolutely no difference when using this file. It doesn't unlock any DX9 specific features. There are no visual changes or performance improvements. As a matter of fact, I've heard this file is actually slightly slower than the DX8 version. Using this file with a DX9 based video card won't get you any improvements in any aspect. At least that's what I seem to remember hearing a few people at Epic say...

I remember them saying that too. Yet it does work better. It doesnt look better, in fact i has some issues. But performance is what I care about so it works better than D3D.dll and the opengl api. Honestly I'm happy with this buggy .dll :)

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
I'm suspecting your PSU. 350 is pretty low nowadays for a gamer - you need like 400-450 to be pretty clear.

If that is indeed the case, what are my options short of buying a whole new system? Because you can't replace the power supply unless you replace the tower. And you usually can't replace the tower without replacing the motherboard. And once you have to replace the motherboard, you may as well just get a new system and be done with it....

On a similar note, is it possible the OUTLETS into which the power strip and so forth are plugged may not have enough juice flowing thru them? Is there any way to verify that? Maybe the apartment itself just isn't getting enough power. Can you recommend a voltage meter or something that techies may use to measure how much power an outlet SHOULD have vrs. how much it's acutally getting?

Another thing that might be useful is some way to measure how much power computer is getting vrs. how much it should be getting. Is there any way to measure that? The CPU adn motherboard I got from ASUS came with voltage measureing software. It's the same thing that measures the temperature of the CPU and other components while running. Sensors in the motherboard keep track of where the voltage and temperature is at.

In every case, when playing a 3D game, the temperature is always in the green. During 3D game sessions it sometimes gets into the yellow, but only in the borderline between green and yellow - never anywhere near the red.
By the same token, the voltage and power readings for the major components is always in the green, and has never so much as gotten near yellow.

Problem is, when the computer freezes or crashes as a result of UT2004 game playing, you can't measure any spikes or glitches with this software. Because of course, the computer has crashed and you can't go out to the software to see if there were any spikes anywhere.

Any thoughts on these subjects? If the computer isnt' getting enough power, I'd like to fix that. I've never had problems like that before and I'd like to confirm it one way or the other. How much power is your average outlet supposed to put out, and is there a way to measure how much it's actually getting?

Slyrr

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Slyrr77 said:
Because you can't replace the power supply unless you replace the tower.

Whoah, what? You can definitely buy a power supply without a new case.

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
If that is indeed the case, what are my options short of buying a whole new system? Because you can't replace the power supply unless you replace the tower. And you usually can't replace the tower without replacing the motherboard. And once you have to replace the motherboard, you may as well just get a new system and be done with it....

I don't know where your arrived at that conclusion but that's certainly not the case (no pun intended :p), especially with a branded case such as Antec. I wish all my clients thought along those lines. ;)

In every case, when playing a 3D game, the temperature is always in the green. During 3D game sessions it sometimes gets into the yellow, but only in the borderline between green and yellow - never anywhere near the red.

That's all relative; what Asus consider borderline green/yellow, I might consider as yellow/red, you need to give us actual figures.

Problem is, when the computer freezes or crashes as a result of UT2004 game playing, you can't measure any spikes or glitches with this software. Because of course, the computer has crashed and you can't go out to the software to see if there were any spikes anywhere.

Mother Board Minitor 5 and SpeedFan will both log temps & voltages for you, which you can go through after a lockup/crash. MBM5 is my personal fave but SpeedFan is easier to set up.

Going off your previous posts, you/we have ruled out most things except the PSU (I highly doubt it's your home ring that's at fault). You can either disconnect any fans, lights, drives, 2nd stick of ram, etc for testing purposes so as to reduce the load on the PSU, or borrow a higher rated PSU and swap that out. It might sound a bit of a pain but at least you'll know one way or the other if it is indeed the PSU at fault.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
I ask about measuring the voltage in the outlets at the apartment only because I see occasional flickering with the lamps. It's not severe and only happens every so often, but that could probably be said of any house or apartment.

If we're narrowing down on the source of the issue, that would be great. I'll try to post my actual voltage figures when I get home from work :)

I'll also ask my friends, who have similar vidcards what THEIR PSU is....

Slyrr

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Dark Pulse said:
I'm suspecting your PSU. 350 is pretty low nowadays for a gamer - you need like 400-450 to be pretty clear.

I dunno, I have a lot of crap running on mine (Including an extra black light and some Blue LED displays) and Im cruising with 350w.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
I'm inclined to try it at least - as I have tried everything else.
According to the ASUS probe software, which monitors the voltage used in various parts of the computer, there are 4 sections:
Vcore: which always seems to remain at 1.518
+3.3V: whihc always seems to remain at 3.312
+5: which is always at 5.026
+12: which is highest on the graph, and fluctuates between 12.03X and 11.95X
(where X is a variable)

The temperature monitor has 2 windows:
CPU: which remains at a constant 35 celcius / 95 farenheit
Motherboard: which also remains at 35/95
That is during normal computer use. During 3D games.... (HL2)

CPU: 45 c / 110 f
MB: 36 c / 97 f

Voltage readings reamined virtually the same

Donno if that will help, but there it is - most other 3d games cause identical changes, whether they are complicated games like HL2 or UT2004, or simple ones like HL1 and Jdoom.

The demands on my comp. aren't too stiff - I have the computer itself, and the only components are: the vidcard, soundcard, 2 HDs, an A drive, CD rom and a network card. That's pretty much it....

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
My ASUS motherboard came with software called "PC Probe". I mentioned it before, but never noted until now that it has a summary tab that has a 'record' option in it, so you can record temperature/voltate/fan speed at any given time.

I used it to record these things while playing several UT2004 games. And sure enough, on the fourth one, I had the system lockup with the buzzing speakers.

I had to reboot, as I always do when that happens, and quickly ran PC probe and went to the summary panel, examining the recording it had made, all the way up to the instant of the crash.

Alas, there is nothing unusual on any of the graphs. The voltage remained at a steady 12.0XX (see above), the temperature showed the usual 10 degree increase from 35f to 45f when the game is running. But no severe spikes in any of them. Everything was perfectly normal up the the instant the system froze.

Anything that sounds weird or wrong, feel free to point it out....

Slyrr

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
So even an absolute record of the voltage the comp is using can't confirm it one way or the other? (I just like to be absolutely sure before swapping out major components.)

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Well, I remember a long time ago my comp would reset or freeze at odd times, and getting a new PSU fixed it.

The only other thing I can think of is you're using a 8x, .8v AGP card in a mobo that is expecting a 8x, 1.5v AGP card - in which case downclocking that card to 4x will work.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
Dark Pulse said:
The only other thing I can think of is you're using a 8x, .8v AGP card in a mobo that is expecting a 8x, 1.5v AGP card - in which case downclocking that card to 4x will work.

Don't think that's it, but I'll allow anything's possible. One of the first things I did when getting my computer home after building it was to make sure in BIOS that the AGP was set to 8x speed so there wouldn't be any smartgart conflicts....

Slyrr

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Just play the 3369 64-bit build if you 'need' d3d9 so badly.

This. Or you can extract the patch (its an archive) and grad the .dll from the extracted folder.

I've been using the 64-bit executable for a long time without issue, in DX9. FWIW, I tried the SweetFX for UT2K4 - which needs DX9 - and with some tweaking, it looks pretty....well, sweet.

Last edited: