Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Whiskey 7

Just another Earthling
Feb 2, 2008
www.whiskey7.org
Belle

I was impressed. A powerful and moving movie depiction of a slave girl taken into a high aristocratic society English family in the late 1770's.
Look, probably not fit for most here, truly, but if you fancy a divergent* course from the usual**, I was moved.

* I was about to but tickets for the movie Divergent but thought I'd try something completely different

** Inspired by the true story of Dido Elizabeth Bellethe illegitimate mixed race daughter of Admiral Sir John Lindsay

8.5/10

IMDB

PS: Tom Wilkinson playing a truly great role :up:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Jack Reacher: Surprisingly good flick. Occasionally a scene would have some really bad dialog, but it was mostly a tense film with fun little twists and some solid action. A little ridiculous at the end, but cool. I was not expecting much out of it, so I came away pleasantly surprised.

I felt the same way. I was expecting it to be a generic action movie but what I got was a mystery based off a book series. The protagonist is a bit too much of a "21st century action hero" (ex special something drifts around, gets into minor trouble, disillusioned with his service in special something, etc"), but the plot kept a good pace.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I don't care to debate a person's opinion about a film, so like it or like it, I don't care, but I'm sick of this completely ridiculous argument.

The planet is literally being ripped apart, and if the process isn't stopped, all of humanity will be lost. Superman is actively trying to stop this. It's true, there are doubtlessly people who died in the fighting and the attack, but that's not because superman doesn't care or try, but rather because, well, there is a massive thing destroying the world.

Likewise, there were bound to be casualties of the super-fight between supe and zod, and that sucks and all, but, again, this is actively saving millions and billions of lives by fighting him.

Yes, people died in this film. No, not a single one of them is because superman is a jerk or isn't trying.

People can rant and rave about what a superman film should or shouldn't be (they've all been absolute trash), but I'm sick of the idea that because some people surely must have died in an event that could have potentially destroyed the world, this means Superman killed people or let them die. It's inane.

Oh, yeah, movie I just saw...

Jack Reacher: Surprisingly good flick. Occasionally a scene would have some really bad dialog, but it was mostly a tense film with fun little twists and some solid action. A little ridiculous at the end, but cool. I was not expecting much out of it, so I came away pleasantly surprised.

Yes, you're getting quite worked up about it? Is it really worth it in the end?
(Why did they send zod with his battleship and crew into the void in the first place? That seemd so silly.) You're right, though. I guess I didn't think it entirely through.

Still a terrible movie. At least not on the same level as superman 4... luckily...

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
People getting bent out of shape over Man of Steel's loss of life - makes me laugh hard. You guys want something to bitch about, bitch about this

Jor-El is killed off, only to return in hologram form that can pretty much do anything and everything he could have done while still alive. So why kill him off besides being a plot progression mechanic?

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Godzilla - 6.5/10

I'm no Godzilla fan, I've seen the 1998 version (unfortunately).

This one has a decent cast but none of the characters is really interesting apart from Bryan Cranstons character. The first half of the movie is too slow.

Elizabeth Olsen's character doesn't do much else than cry, Ken Watanabe's character does pretty much nothing but stand still with a stare like he has seen a ghost. Aaron Taylor-Johnson is alright but it feels like too much of a coincidence that he encounters these monsters wherever he is.

The second half of the movie is pretty fun, I liked most of the fight scenes with Godzilla.

And most importantly, the title character is not present nearly enough.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Godzilla - Shitty. / 10

I walked in expecting to see a shitty godzilla movie. What I got was about 4 minutes of screentime of gozilla. They always had to cut away to soldiers doing shit we dont care about, or the civilians we don't care about, or the next morning aftermath we don't care about.

Nobody cares about the shitty plot or stupid shit the military comes up with. There was such little screentime of godzilla, and even less of him doing anything like fight the other monsters. They didn't even introduce godzilla; he just "shows up" in the pacific. I can't recommend this movie as to anyone as a shitty godzilla movie because there isn't even a shitty godzilla movie to watch. My friend watching with me fell asleep. That isn't something that should happen in a godzilla movie. Godzilla isn't even in the movie.

tldr; They didn't even have the decency to give us a shitty godzilla movie. Probably the worst movie of the entire year.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Transcendence: 0/10

Total and utter nonsense. Plot holes like black holes sucked in all time and reason and spit out nothing but fragments of meaninglessness. Johnny Depp jumped the shark years ago and is now an aging has-been, phoning in mediocre performances only rivaled by Nick Cage's miserable decline.

Too bad as well; from a guy who brought many of the screen's most disturbing, quirky and unforgettable characters to life. See ya later Johnny. Also, you're 50 now man...."John" is more fitting for the wallflower you have become.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Godzilla - Shitty. / 10

They always had to cut away to soldiers doing shit we dont care about, or the civilians we don't care about, or the next morning aftermath we don't care about.
I have to admit that was bugged me most about the film.

I was more expecting a big Godzilla exposition based around Bryan Cranston's character's investigations but they managed to kill that off a third of the way into the film.

Like I said; it was more like I was watching two different films....... Hollywood strikes again.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Godzilla - ****ty. / 10
They always had to cut away to soldiers doing **** we dont care about, or the civilians we don't care about, or the next morning aftermath we don't care about.

If reading the email, look away now - mild spoiler below.

Those characters followed what was essentially the Transformers plot. Different desert, different war, same plot.

And how clunky was the foreshadowing regarding the specific skills that the Aaron Taylor-Johnson character had picked up whilst serving in the forces?

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
If reading the email, look away now - mild spoiler below.

Those characters followed what was essentially the Transformers plot. Different desert, different war, same plot.

And how clunky was the foreshadowing regarding the specific skills that the Aaron Taylor-Johnson character had picked up whilst serving in the forces?

I was also strongly reminded of this:

Battle: Los Angeles

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
At least in Battle LA the build up was only half an hour then action/bad plot for the rest of the movie. At least you got to see a bad action movie on top of it.

This movie shouldn't be upsetting me as much as it did, but really all they had to do was show Godzilla/monsters destroying a city. It always cut away to the day after/aftermath or something far less entertaining.

Last edited:

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
Godzilla - I'm torn between thinking it was just okay and outright hating it. The trailers made it seem like it would be serious and grounded and not just another Hollywood movie, but it wasn't even that. At least Pacific Rim didn't constantly cut away to focus on the boring human characters, which would have been okay if
Bryan Cranston didn't die so early on. If he had been the main character, maybe it would have turned out better.
The fight scenes that they showed were really good, but there were too few of them.

The advertising campaign for this movie has to be the most misleading in recent memory. I know it's more common to cut scenes from trailers, but come on. I don't understand how Toho could have loved it unless they were show a completely different movie.
Every single scene in the trailers that featured Godzilla on his own were replaced by scenes of him fighting MUTO. The international trailer scene where MUTO was flying towards Godzilla was cut, and not a single part of the ComicCon teaser made it in the movie. The trailers made it seem like Godzilla would be at least as much trouble as the main villain, but the majority of the monster scenes in the trailers were cut or replaced. Godzilla shouldn't have been a hero, but throughout the entire movie, he's promoted as such for no reason. If I didn't see most of the older Godzilla movies, I would have had no idea why.

It was promoted as the American equivalent of the original movie, with its serious and somber tone, but it was made to be like Man of Steel in ways that didn't even make sense. What may have worked for that movie definitely did not work here. Godzilla isn't supposed to be a saint, he's supposed to be a force of destruction.

At least people cheering for Superman in that movie kind of made sense. Even though a ton of people probably died in the fight, at least Supes had the intention of saving the world. Why were those people in the stadium cheering for Godzilla? He's a giant lizard, and even though he seemed to cause less damage than the MUTOs, he still ended up killing a ton of people (particularly during the flood scene). We don't even know his motivations, and there are nothing but hints suggesting links between him and MUTO.

Probably the most disappointing movie I've seen in a long time. If a sequel is ever made and people remember just how misleading the ads for this movie were, it's going to flop hard.

Last edited:

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
Godzilla - 8 - I might be one of the few who liked it? I thought it paid an honorable tribute to past early Godzilla movies, and appropriately so. It felt like it had a 'B-movieesque' quality. People in the audience cheered when the blue flame shot out of the beast, and cheered again upon triumphantly taking down the 'bad-beasts'. I don't remember the last time I was at a movie and that happened (and I go a lot).

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Godzilla - 8 - I might be one of the few who liked it? I thought it paid an honorable tribute to past early Godzilla movies, and appropriately so. It felt like it had a 'B-movieesque' quality. People in the audience cheered when the blue flame shot out of the beast, and cheered again upon triumphantly taking down the 'bad-beasts'. I don't remember the last time I was at a movie and that happened (and I go a lot).

I am in the boat of liking it. Few things I don't understand from these people

1. Waaa Bryan Cranston not in movie for very long. Who cares? He doesn't even receive top billing so that should have been a nice red flag for those who wanted to go see God Cranston.. or Bryanzilla. If he wasn't in Breaking Bad then people wouldn't have given him a second fuck. I still know him as the dad from Malcolm in the Middle so him not having much screen time did nothing for me.

2. Too much human element and not enough Zilla - Again so much fucking whining about this. Go watch any previous Godzilla and be amazed at how much he really is in his movies. Some he is featured more prominently than others, but overall its mostly the HUMAN element with Godzilla coming in later.

3. Ken Watanabe is a lifeless soul - No.. no he isn't. Go watch the scene with him and and the General again. That was a very powerful message he stated with that
watch of his. I even had to do a double take on it. Its basically this. We dropped bombs to try and kill him.. he survived and we killed millions. What makes you think your bomb will do any different?

4. Godzilla is a hero and I hate him for it - No he is an anti-hero. The people that died in Hawaii should be a nice clue. He isn't there to save the idiots, nor is he there to wreck havoc. He just wants to get in and restore balance.

Now I am admit the movie was not perfect. Aaron Taylor Johnson and that Olsen chick were the weakest links in the entire film. The cut aways when it was about to get good were pretty annoying, but the finale did make up for it. And finally some scenes appeared a bit forced, almost faked but they were few and far between.

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
1. Waaa Bryan Cranston not in movie for very long. Who cares? He doesn't even receive top billing so that should have been a nice red flag for those who wanted to go see God Cranston.. or Bryanzilla. If he wasn't in Breaking Bad then people wouldn't have given him a second fuck. I still know him as the dad from Malcolm in the Middle so him not having much screen time did nothing for me.

lol yep. I see him at the dad from Malcolm in the Middle that's why I could never take Breaking Bad seriously.

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) [Cinema, April 20]
Pure imaginative, creativity, touchy, darky, and visibility funny. Wes Anderson's latest project is one of the strongest in 2014 and one of his best. Ralph Fiennes' performance is unstoppable and hilarious.
Grade: A+

Last edited:

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
1. Waaa Bryan Cranston not in movie for very long. Who cares? He doesn't even receive top billing so that should have been a nice red flag for those who wanted to go see God Cranston.. or Bryanzilla. If he wasn't in Breaking Bad then people wouldn't have given him a second fuck.

1.Well; as I stated, that was the whole reason I am a fan of the guy's acting abilities. I'm a bit funny like that. I tend to think that good acting can make or break a film (or tv show). It's an old-fashioned concept I know but that's entertainment.

2. As I stated, if you see the pre-release trailer it makes it appear that Cranston's (and Godzilla's) billing is much larger. So, as I said, if you go and see the movie on the strength of the trailer you are bound to be disappointed.

3. Watanable was a limp fish in the film. Old sushi......... (I didn't originally state that but I'll throw that fact in for good measure).

So; that's what I stated.

Have you forgotten how to read lately?

Godzilla - I'm torn between thinking it was just okay and outright hating it. The trailers made it seem like it would be serious and grounded and not just another Hollywood movie, but it wasn't even that. At least Pacific Rim didn't constantly cut away to focus on the boring human characters, which would have been okay if
Bryan Cranston didn't die so early on. If he had been the main character, maybe it would have turned out better.
The fight scenes that they showed were really good, but there were too few of them.

The advertising campaign for this movie has to be the most misleading in recent memory. I know it's more common to cut scenes from trailers, but come on. I don't understand how Toho could have loved it unless they were show a completely different movie.
Every single scene in the trailers that featured Godzilla on his own were replaced by scenes of him fighting MUTO. The international trailer scene where MUTO was flying towards Godzilla was cut, and not a single part of the ComicCon teaser made it in the movie. The trailers made it seem like Godzilla would be at least as much trouble as the main villain, but the majority of the monster scenes in the trailers were cut or replaced. Godzilla shouldn't have been a hero, but throughout the entire movie, he's promoted as such for no reason. If I didn't see most of the older Godzilla movies, I would have had no idea why.

It was promoted as the American equivalent of the original movie, with its serious and somber tone, but it was made to be like Man of Steel in ways that didn't even make sense. What may have worked for that movie definitely did not work here. Godzilla isn't supposed to be a saint, he's supposed to be a force of destruction.

At least people cheering for Superman in that movie kind of made sense. Even though a ton of people probably died in the fight, at least Supes had the intention of saving the world. Why were those people in the stadium cheering for Godzilla? He's a giant lizard, and even though he seemed to cause less damage than the MUTOs, he still ended up killing a ton of people (particularly during the flood scene). We don't even know his motivations, and there are nothing but hints suggesting links between him and MUTO.

Probably the most disappointing movie I've seen in a long time. If a sequel is ever made and people remember just how misleading the ads for this movie were, it's going to flop hard.

Yeah; that's pretty much it.

Godzilla - 8 - I might be one of the few who liked it? I thought it paid an honorable tribute to past early Godzilla movies, and appropriately so. It felt like it had a 'B-movieesque' quality.
I do agree with you on that point. If the movie had stuck to just radioactive monsters destroying sh*t it would have been a great homage to the B movie genre. It was, in my opinion, poorly sold to the viewing audience in the advertising as what the whole movie turned out to be like.

Also; the whole US army dude returning hoe from the war plot mechanic was just so lame as an excuse to tell a story. It's been so overdone and was pointless in the context of this flick; in my opinion. We've all seen the Hurt Locker........

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
People getting bent out of shape over Man of Steel's loss of life - makes me laugh hard. You guys want something to bitch about, bitch about this

Jor-El is killed off, only to return in hologram form that can pretty much do anything and everything he could have done while still alive. So why kill him off besides being a plot progression mechanic?

Now you make me laugh. What plot?

Another godzilla movie... just use this material for the next one. It's brilliant and godzilla gets practically all the screen time and does what he's best...for a certain price hmwuha...

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDBlfC0K1Ko[/m]

Last edited: