Let's Build a Goddamn Tesla Museum!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
well the Tesla Museum already exists.
it's in Belgrade. you know, because he's a Serb.

also I can't support an organization that badmouths Thomas Edison like that.
they called him the pioneer of douchebaggery and suggested that a Google search for "douchebag" return the result "Did you mean Thomas Edison?"

now he may have besmirched Nikola's ideas about AC and the wireless electrical grid because his DC and power lines grid was a direct competitor, but he was right. wireless electricity was not and is not (as of yet) practical; by extension it is not as efficient even though technically (if the 2 technologies were equal) it could provide more power for less maintenance.

Tesla was surely the better man in terms of sheer intellect and creative genius. and he was a much more prolific and original inventor than Edison. but Edison was never about raw intelligence or turning out patents. he took existing ideas and improved them significantly with a vision towards the mass market; the big picture. he was at least half businessman to inventor. at least 60/40.

but yeah, maybe if he had asked nicely and not tried to rip Edison to shreds in the process I'd consider donating something. because it's kind of cool that he wants to resurrect Tesla's old wireless test lab in New York. unfortunately he lost me the moment he went with the defamation angle.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
well the Tesla Museum already exists.
it's in Belgrade. you know, because he's a Serb.

also I can't support an organization that badmouths Thomas Edison like that.
they called him the pioneer of douchebaggery and suggested that a Google search for "douchebag" return the result "Did you mean Thomas Edison?"

now he may have besmirched Nikola's ideas about AC and the wireless electrical grid because his DC and power lines grid was a direct competitor, but he was right. wireless electricity was not and is not (as of yet) practical; by extension it is not as efficient even though technically (if the 2 technologies were equal) it could provide more power for less maintenance.

Tesla was surely the better man in terms of sheer intellect and creative genius. and he was a much more prolific and original inventor than Edison. but Edison was never about raw intelligence or turning out patents. he took existing ideas and improved them significantly with a vision towards the mass market; the big picture. he was at least half businessman to inventor. at least 60/40.

but yeah, maybe if he had asked nicely and not tried to rip Edison to shreds in the process I'd consider donating something. because it's kind of cool that he wants to resurrect Tesla's old wireless test lab in New York. unfortunately he lost me the moment he went with the defamation angle.

He is right Edison was a douchebag. Just because Edison stole at least one design of Tesla's while Tesla worked for him and didn't give him the bonus he promised Tesla for it claiming the promise a joke, doesn't make it pertinent too the creation of a museum in Tesla's honor. Tesla was brilliant hands down and we owe the 20th century in large part to that brilliance.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
[GU]elmur_fud;2570226 said:
while Tesla worked for him
it's not "stealing" when you're working together.
lots people worked for Edison and most of them were glad to let him guide their projects or inventions in whatever direction his vision had in mind.

just because he and Tesla had a falling out and only one of them went on to become wealthy doesn't mean Edison was an evil douchebag.
that's ridiculous hyperbole.

Tesla was brilliant hands down and we owe the 20th century in large part to that brilliance.
uh yeah.
no one is disputing this.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
yeah, I said he besmirched Tesla's ideas because they were in direct competition.
doesn't change the fact that Edison was right.

wireless electricity is not viable (yet).
it certainly wasn't viable at the time.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
it's not "stealing" when you're working together.
lots people worked for Edison and most of them were glad to let him guide their projects or inventions in whatever direction his vision had in mind.

just because he and Tesla had a falling out and only one of them went on to become wealthy doesn't mean Edison was an evil douchebag.
that's ridiculous hyperbole.

It is when you don't pay what you said you would for something that it is stealing. Even if he was joking as Edison claimed he was notoriously stingy and cruel too his employees. Which you had to be pretty bad to get that sort of thing noted about you pre-labor laws. This is after-all a man who spent reportedly almost an hour electrocuting an elephant to prove how evil AC was. Which was in fact probably a calculated personal attack as Tesla was very fond of animals.

uh yeah.
no one is disputing this.

Yet Edison is in all the history books and everyone knows his name. Furthermore a quick google search shows there to be at least seven museums in his honor. Not to mention if you ask most people if they have heard of Nikola Tesla they say things like "who?" and "nope".

The US and the world owe the man allot. A museum in his honor seems only fitting at that site. Edison was a douchebag but the guy who made that webpage is also a douchebag, and IMO he may be doing as much harm as good in the way he is presenting the idea, but he is right.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
[GU]elmur_fud;2570279 said:
Yet Edison is in all the history books and everyone knows his name.
well he was certainly the better businessman and marketer.
plus there's that whole American Superiority complex where we boost up and embellish the accomplishments of our own people and (relatively) ignore the contributions of foreigners. even though Tesla had US citizenship.

Edison isn't to blame for any of that.
he didn't write the history books.

Furthermore a quick google search shows there to be at least seven museums in his honor. Not to mention if you ask most people if they have heard of Nikola Tesla they say things like "who?" and "nope".
yeah ok but like I said, Edison can't be held responsible for pop culture and elementary history books.

The US and the world owe the man allot. A museum in his honor seems only fitting at that site.
Tesla has more than one museum.
just because there's not a major US museum doesn't mean that the others are chop liver. it's not like I'm against the idea. I'm just against the shitting on Edison.

you think he was a douchebag for being a smart businessman?
agree to disagree.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
well he was certainly the better businessman and marketer.
plus there's that whole American Superiority complex where we boost up and embellish the accomplishments of our own people and (relatively) ignore the contributions of foreigners. even though Tesla had US citizenship.

Edison isn't to blame for any of that.
he didn't write the history books.

yeah ok but like I said, Edison can't be held responsible for pop culture and elementary history books.

Tesla has more than one museum.
just because there's not a major US museum doesn't mean that the others are chop liver. it's not like I'm against the idea. I'm just against the shitting on Edison.

you think he was a douchebag for being a smart businessman?
agree to disagree.

I understand the path to where we are (why Edison is known and Tesla fairly well the opposite) I think it is high time we set the record straight is all.

And no I think Edison was a douchebag because of how he treated others. I think he was douchebag because he exploited others. Tesla was just easy to exploit. I also don't see that as a supporting argument for a museum in Tesla's honor though.

What I am saying boils down too... Edison being a douche is part of history. Not part of what made either man relevant there-to, as such Edison being a douche has no place in why Tesla deserves a museum. Which makes me think this Oat fellow a douche also.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
If Edison had been a Republican, Jacks would be flaying him for all of the shitty things he did. Instead, he has a childhood crush on the man. It's pretty cute.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
i'm all in for this.

And Edison was an utter and complete douche, no doubt about it.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
If Edison had been a Republican, Jacks would be flaying him for all of the shitty things he did. Instead, he has a childhood crush on the man. It's pretty cute.
well first of all, you're wrong.

and secondly, you guys seem really hung up on Tesla versus Edison. this isn't the point.
Edison may have behaved less than honorably while he was facing off with Tesla over the future of the national power grid. so he electrocuted some animals. I wasn't that upset when Michael Vick did it, I'm not that upset with Edison. the point is that he was right; wireless electricity was not going to work for the entire country.

you seem to forget that Edison had a long career that extended well beyond (and existed well before) the scuffle with Tesla. most of what he did was not stealing or exploitation, it was partnerships and cooperatives with people who knew exactly what he was doing with their patents. his disagreements and rivalry with Nikola were especially bitter because of what was at stake.

but it doesn't define his entire life or body of work.
hey Jason, I'm sure you've been a dick before. so does that mean your entire life can be summed up as "douchebag?"

certainly not.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
you seem to forget that Edison had a long career that extended well beyond (and existed well before) the scuffle with Tesla. most of what he did was not stealing or exploitation, it was partnerships and cooperatives with people who knew exactly what he was doing with their patents. his disagreements and rivalry with Nikola were especially bitter because of what was at stake.

He was a dick to a great many people over many, many years. That is the point. It isn't like he got carried away this one time. The dude was a douche and he acted especially douchey in this particular instance. To protest the need for a museum in the country (but he haaaaaaas them in OTHER countries) because you feel that people shouldn't call out someone you obviously idolize for the things they did is pretty funny. Edison was a genius and a shrewd business man. He was also a tool.

Edit: I would also like to point out that he wan't trying to prove that wireless electricity wasn't safe (this was something that Tesla would work on later and never get the funding to really spend much time on), but that AC wasn't safe. Which, you know, is wildly and wholly incorrect.

Last edited:

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
:lol: Jason what are you doing?
I don't idolize Edison. not sure where you're getting that aside from the depths of your ass.
I'm defending what I see as unnecessary defamation. now this translates to "obviously idolizing?"

you're not even reading what I'm writing lol...

I'm not protesting the museum.
I'm all for it. which I've said more than once.

I just think the accusations against Edison are overblown.
that's all it is. not sure why you decided to bring politics into it either. Edison or Tesla being a democrat or republican wouldn't change my opinion on such a non-political issue.

lemme elaborate slightly.
the only point I ever tried to make here was that it's pretty silly for the guy who is sponsoring this fundraiser to make almost HALF his argument by crapping all over Edison. surely he could have made his case for Tesla's importance by sticking to Tesla. surely??
I don't see how the Edison assassination is necessary when there's so much to say about Nikola alone. clearly his individual achievements and brilliance far outweigh Edison's.
trying to persuade people of how incredible Tesla was should easily be accomplished with Tesla's merits on their own.

it just struck me as odd that this guy had to work in this huge angle about how horrible he believes Edison was and how the dictionary should have his picture next to "douchebag."
I mean really? really?? I think it's safe to say that if anyone's picture should be next to "douchebag" in the dictionary, it should be like... Hitler's. ok? ok.

2rgib12.jpg

it's like, calm down bro.

Last edited: