UT3 DM-Phyos-SE [Final][PC][PS3][Dynamic][Pics]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeathoX 8

Beta Toaster
Jan 20, 2008
================================
D M - P H Y O S - S E

Version 2.00
Last update 15/05/09
Cooked with UT3 2.1

Filename: DM-Phyos-SE
Author: XYZ 8000

Description

This map is the Second Edition of DM-Phyos, a map I released some months ago.

The map is a 4 - 8 DeathMatch/Team DeathMatch map full with Z-Axis ction.
Its main feature of the map is the dynamic layout: there are 845 destroyable objects (floor tiles, wall panels, etc.) that will react to the players' weapons changing the layout as the match goes on.
Unlike many other destructible maps, the map doesn't turn into a flat terrain after most of it has been destroyed, but I designed this layout with the after-destruction in mind to make sure that the map would be fun at any time of the match.
A downside of having many dynamic objects is the bot performance, the poor AI just can't understand well dynamic objects and sometimes it will happen that bots get stuck if their path is blocked by a KActor.

Major changes in the SE version:
- Replaced the UDamage with a Berserk. The UDamage doesn't double the damage inflicted to KActors, so I preferred to add a powerup that boosted the destruction of the map and the Berserk does a good job at that;
- Heavily reduced the health of the dynamic objects - now the map will be destroyed considerably faster, and you will not have to waste half of your flak ammo just to clear up a walkway;
- Slightly scaled down the dynamic objects, so that they don't "stick" too much to each other and to the walls;
- Fixed the old "black squares of death" particles and added some more particle systems around;
- Revamped the lighting, adding more contrast and some volumetric effects;
- Fixed edgy mesh collisions, and added some blocking volumes in sensible places;

There are many other changes, to find them out just play the map!
I am fairly satisfied of how this SE turned out, it's much better both on the
gameplay and the visuals side and overall it feels more solid.

Enjoy

Credits

Thanks to Evil Lair for the Evil Lair X texture set that I used in this map.

Thanks to El Chico Verde, Raz, Sabrewulf, and the HOLP 2 team for feedback and help during map development.

ScreenShots

[screenshot]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h46/XYZ8000/Unreal%20Tournament%203/DM-Phyos-SE/DM-Phyos-SE-1.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h46/XYZ8000/Unreal%20Tournament%203/DM-Phyos-SE/DM-Phyos-SE-2.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h46/XYZ8000/Unreal%20Tournament%203/DM-Phyos-SE/DM-Phyos-SE-3.jpg[/screenshot]

Download

PC Version:
- Filefront:http://files.filefront.com/DM+Phyos+SEzip/;13764397;/fileinfo.html
- FilePlanet: http://www.fileplanet.com/200283/200000/fileinfo/Unreal-Tournament-3---DM-Phyos-Second-Edition

PS3 Version: Coming soon (in a few days)

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Its good acctualy.
The Kactors really add to the gameplay, like the pillar things can fall and form ramps up to other platforms etc.
Its cool seing bits of the level smashed around the place, although theres only like, what, 3 or 4 different Kactors in the level? so there wasnt much varity.
But its acctualy a really fun layout, good low-poly styled visuals too.
Also i like how nearly all the player starts are directly in front of a weapon, you get straight back in the action like, its cool imo.

The only problems is that if you feign death on a Kactor you die (but i was playing against bots so i didnt need to obviously)
Also the rocket launcher, surprisingly; has little affect on the Kactors, but this isnt your fault like.

Good map, nothing amazing like, but its fun, and the physics objects are a nice touch.

Last edited:

DeathoX 8

Beta Toaster
Jan 20, 2008
Thanks for comments :)

I didn't know that feigning death bug, but I think that I can't solve that as probably it is a KActor thing (I didn't set up anything strange for those KActors, just normal UT Rigid Bodies...)
I do know about the Rocket Launcher not having much effect on the KActors, again that's not something I can solve :(. Other powerful stuff barely having any effect on KActors are the Shock Combos, Redeemer and the BioRifle alt fire. The best things to destroy KActors are Flak Cannon primary, link (which when combined with the Berserk can clean up a load of KActors) and Minigun secondary.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Finally, a map I can see the water surface from below; I'm sure there are others, but some of the custom maps I tried lately have this aspect missing. The lighting that is here is done well, but more varied color would be preferred; I know this was changed from the original but it still doesn't look quite right but I can't put my finger on it. It could just be the atmosphere is what you were striving for, so in that case it's fine. I like the architecture and rock surfaces as well as the repetitive paths and you definitely could almost get lost in here. The bots are not too good and can get stuck but I liked the moving pieces of floors and walls (ah, dynamic objects...that's it!). I like the fast lifts and kinda glad you left out the 'Deemer.;)