Which do you think is better: UT3 or UT2k4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which is better: UT3 or UT2004

• UT3 is better

Votes: 63 52.1%
  • UT2004 is better

Votes: 58 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I remember that most people didn't like UT2k3. That's odd because I really like whatever some game developers do. Of course in hind view I realize that some things could have been better.

UT3 have a lot of hitscan too, even more since the return of the Enforcer. Rockets are still a comfortable way of killing people, but instant hit weapons give opponents no chance to escape from the damage.

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
I've only played UT3 for a short while now; I liked 2k4 because I really got to break that game in. the same may happen for UT3, but there's a couple things that will never take.

UT3's gameplay was fun; the new vehicles, fun; I preferred onslaught to warfare cuz ONS is just simpler. tardium shards?? pffft. also, the SP UT3 ending sucked!
it's a pretty game, but then again so was 2k4, and even good old UT had some breathtaking visuals.

oh, also no DOM. boo. :mad:

[edit:

UT
UT2004
UT3
UT2003

ah, yes NN. thanks for agreeing with me]

Last edited:

Sys-X

Commercialized Killer !!!
Mar 22, 2006
Netherlands
ut2004 without any doubt... anyway from my perspective as I started my online gaming venture there and still love it to this day.

And as for competitive gaming ut3 just ain't gonna work for me.. low activity and very small cups.
Plenty activity in ut2004 cups so far so no reason for me to switch over.

The game has some improvement over ut2004 like, weapons, war and... well that was it.

:)

DocB

Where does it hurt?
Apr 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
UT3. I played some UT1 online last weekend with some old UT friends and favorite maps and I was amazed how slow it seemed compared to UT3. I guess memory starts to play some tricks on you with time. I haven't played UT2004 since my favorite game is ONS/WAR and I don't think my fingers can take hopping miles across big ONS maps any more. Gimme' my surfboard and minigun (and RL and flack) and I'm happy.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Voted UT2004, of course. While it did degenerate into a pew-pew fest when newnet was bestowed upon us, it still provided me years of fun. UT3 was never fun (felt like a cheap impostor that was worse than both UT and UT2004 in its related areas) and a waste of money, so... yeah. Easy choice. :)

In UT2004 I always found if someone was really good at DM and CTF they weren't that great in ONS, and the other way around.
Because ONS was noobish crap that let people ignore the core elements of shooter games. :p

Although, I don't recall seeing what you saw at FragBU. Me, JD, Raffi, etc. were all good at ONS and AS even though we were also good at DM and CTF. Maybe we were just 2pr0. ;)

Snaps_Provolone

Part Time Retard
Sep 14, 2008
United States
I voted UT2004

I like UT3's editor features. I am impressed with the Unreal 3 engine potential in the future when more people have uber fast PC's, but game play quality in UT3 is lacking and I frankly prefer fun gaming experience over eye candy, I suppose that is why after the first night I am always turning down all the video quality on games to get smoother/better frame rates. I am thinking that the Unreal 3 engine and UT3 are just a stepping stone to the Unreal 4 engine and another UT, but we can only hope so, as it would be sad to end the series on this note.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Core gameplay: UT3
Features and cusotmization: UT2004

I really feel they did buff up and polish the core UT gameplay from UT2004. The movement, the weapons, etc. In this way, I'm really happy with the game.
My gripe, like most other people, is the very limited options available in the user interface. A LOT of settings can only be changed by editing ini files, some settings don't get remembered when set in-game, etc.

In short, while they improved the gameplay itself, they frustrated a lot of users by not including most of the little things that helped make UT2004 work. It was very easy to tailor any individual match to your personal tastes with so many customization options in UT2004. Hopefully, with the next one (they contracted with midway to do 2 games), they will not make this mistake again and provide the extra features people expected from UT2004, with fewer bugs and issues too. ;P

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
I think the timing of UT3 was bad for PC hardware as well. The hardware requirements really turned alot of players away from UT3. The minimum hardware would only just run the game. You really needed the recommended or better to have good game play. I still know several ex Ut2004 players who say "I am not going to spent $1000 updating my computer just to play UT3" Now they are playing WoW and other stuff.

So, when the UT4 or UT2010 comes out, that issue should not be as bad. I mean look how the prices on PC hardware have dropped in the last 6 months. How many people still have old slow single core machines? The stuff has never been cheaper. Now you can buy an 8800GT for $129. That runs UT3 better than my 7900GTX SLI setup at 1/4 the price.

«MechikTaj»

lolol First blood betrayals
IMO

I voted solely with gameplay in mind and IMO, UT3 is much better.

The weapons, movement, vehicles as well as Deathmatch and Warfare are all superior. Everything just feels better and improved to me and every time I play UT2004 now, well... I can't stand it. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a great game and for me too, it's the game which got me really interest in online play and browsing community websites such as this one and it's the game that turned me into a diehard fan of the series. :D But ever since I first played the beta demo of UT3, I've loved its gameplay more than 04's. I wasn't really concerned about anything else. (e.g. the graphics, since I run it on lowest settings anyway; don't care too much about the UI, the "lack" of characters, etc).

I'll be building a brand new PC soon and this game was definitely a factor in deciding on the hardware. I doubt I'll be installing UT2004 on it.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I like UT3 better if compared to 2k4 with newnet on, with it off, it's not as big of a gap but I'd still prefer UT3 over 2k4 if I had a choice.

Quaglax

May the funk be with you...
Apr 25, 2006
ATL
My first UT game was 2004...which I played the **** out of. Hours and hours everyday until UT3 came out. I absolutely LOVED the game. Though...I would have to say I like UT3 better. One of the biggest reasons I chose UT3 was because of 2004's "hitscan" dominance which isnt nearly as easy in UT3. As someone said in an earlier post, all you need is a Lightning Gun and your good to go. Not so in UT3....I love the "in your face" feel and rather someone frag me up close than from across the map all the time.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
I'll try to really quickly summarize my thoughts on this..

UT2004
- Variety of themes and visual styles
- Variety of options
- Variety of game types / Many maps
- Single player is a tournament ladder

UT3
- Narrow theme and mono visual style
- No options (especially gameplay related)
- Fewer game types / Fewer maps
- Single player is not a tournament ladder (yet they still called it unreal tournament)

There's more in the detail, but that basically sums it up for me.
I really am holding out hope for another UT, because theres no reason why they couldn't make another awesome one with fresh themes again. (unless they decide to keep going further away from the original concept, like UT3 did with its crabby storyline)

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006

Well obviously that is the best. :)
---

I voted for UT3 because I hate UT2k4's gameplay and ridiculously weak weapons. Although, I hate the way the bots can use the link guns secondary fire sense patch 1.3. I hate that I can tell that all they did to make them start to use it was copy and paste the code from how it deals with healing vehicles to how the bots use it. Nice job actually fixing the problem epic. :rolleyes:

@madspacemarinemustdie: Really the starting weapons are better in UT2K4? Sense when? The crappy assault rifle was nothing but a joke and the shield gun is crappiest idea ever. To actually give someone the ability to run away and have a shield. What kind of stupid ass came up with that? Its like the complete opposite of what UT is all about.

The enforcer in UT3 you can actually kill someone with the secondary fire if you are lucky and/or skilled. While the impact hammer can disable vehicles and if you are good can get you allot of kills.