Why can't Epic fix the Bot Selection Team Based Game Modes UI

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
No actually Im not, Im just saying generally I wasnt all that impressed with the AI. I could say that about alot of other games though to be fair like say, doom3, quake 4, halflife 2 (its actually half decent in garrys mod when spawning npcs), fear and ummz well anyways you get the picture. Im usually fairly dissapointed with AI, see Im not so much into how well they can aim and shoot Im more into the reactions and what they portray to the player. So sticking with being fair Crysis did show alittle improvement over other games but not so much Id say wow you gotta see this AI dude, farcry the AI was actually laughable after what they said about it even in the 1.3 patch it wasnt fixed much. I guess the Crysis AI is more solid so thats a bonus but like I said it wasnt actually improved upon a great deal and if it was I didnt notice it at all.

You'd think great AI would stand out, I mean the ole see me shoot me thing is getting a touch old :cool:

Best not mention the stand out infront of a vehicle and hope the human doesnt run me over :lol: so many games do that :p

It actually reminds me of old action films or b-grades where the stuntman does a dramatic leap around 2 seconds before something explodes or 2 seconds after being shot. Guess Im just hoping for some AI that reacts to me, I dont mind being the hero but hey you see a crazy mofo in a nanosuit coming at ya best play dumb :)

Last edited:

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
Exactly ... I just wonder how they could play the game offline and then think "hey lets just leave this the way it is and not make it user friendly like it has been" ... that is what has me puzzled.

Yes, same here. I've opened a thread about it, but it got closed :D

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Epic is probably not reading this forum, but they really should. It's rather brief. Public relations should be a priority.

Why can't we, the users, do anything about, lets say, the menus? Is it that hard to modify? I know I can't, unless there is a good tutorial somewhere.

What if you take the do-it-yourself approach, would that be useful? If you post in the Mod Request / Idea Sharing section or the Programming & Unrealscript section, will that put a spanner to the works?

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
Epic is probably not reading this forum, but they really should.

We most definitely do.

The issue here is simply one of resources. Since everything had to be re-implemented in the new engine, from my perspective it's not valid to say that since UT2004 had a feature, UT3 must also include it. New features or old features eat hours equally.

Like any development effort, we had n resources for n months with n feature list. We had to prioritize what to work on and this feature simply didn't make the cut.

I'm not saying it's not important to a portion of our customers, nor that it won't potentially come in a future patch. Ultimately though there were features we felt we more important to implement and spent our resources accordingly.

Last edited:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Its GREAT but it doesnt do anything for those who already dropped the game and moved on and doesnt do anything for future players who NEVER go online or read forums or use mods. Its great for me n you maybe, but for most doesnt mean a thing... :(

WT - its great that you guys do read this forum (and hopefully a few others) and even better that you reply n interact! even better because most players prob have no idea how a game gets produced and have no idea what goes into doing it, so any insight is always a good thing to those who are willing to stop being a fanboi/grrl for a sec and read it... :)

resources or not, the UI and other features, like bots and modability did admittedly get the short shrift because of the "early" release as you guys have already stated that you simply 'ran out of time'. those who are in similar businesses or especially those of us who are independant workers or have our own biz can definitely understand this, even if we don't like it ;)

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Aye, another issue with a modded UI like Uwindow2 is: Will mods embrace it? will their setup menu's and such use it and its features? and how many mods will? will we have to boot into sepperate UI's to configure different mods we want to use?

User created UI fixes are certainly not a bad thing, but they just can't fully replace a propper official one from Epic.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Well in that case the documentation should be published so that mod creators can use the uwindow2 gui and are able to look up how to impliment it... i like to call it spreading the love

SolidSnake is doing that allready, and i have no doubt he will do all he can to help moders use his new UI, but thats no garuentee that modders will infact use it, they might very well come to the conclution that 100% of the people who would use the mod has UT3 and its default UI, and somewhat less than that will have Uwindow2, and decide to tailor their mod for the default UI instead.

This is why many of us are calling for an official fix as opposed to a user made one (though a usermade one could allways be made official, and i would certainly love it if Uwin2 was a standard part of the next patch!).

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
We most definitely do.

The issue here is simply one of resources. Since everything had to be re-implemented in the new engine, from my perspective it's not valid to say that since UT2004 had a feature, UT3 must also include it. New features or old features eat hours equally.

Like any development effort, we had n resources for n months with n feature list. We had to prioritize what to work on and this feature simply didn't make the cut.

I'm not saying it's not important to a portion of our customers, nor that it won't potentially come in a future patch. Ultimately though there were features we felt we more important to implement and spent our resources accordingly.

Hi,
actually most part of the complains are not toward missing features, but toward things that are supposed to work but do not. For example the UI not saving settings between matches, the bot roster not working at all (I cannot manage to play against a particular bot, they all get the same skin), or weird bot behaviour in WAR (please take a look at http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=614324).

But I seriously appreciate you working hard for a game already released: I bought UT3 as soon as I could because I knew that it would have received support like the previous UTs. When the bugs will be fixed, for me this game will be 10/10.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
But I seriously appreciate you working hard for a game already released: I bought UT3 as soon as I could because I knew that it would have received support like the previous UTs. When the bugs will be fixed, for me this game will be 10/10.
The unfortunate problem is people lack patience, because they're worried if they're patient and the bugs don't get fixed that it create the image that Epic doesn't care.

For me, the game is plenty fine as is. Flawless, no, but far from unplayable, and I know Epic will (hopefully) be patching the heck out of this thing once the 360 version comes out.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands

The marketing part of your company didn't tell the public this though. With phrases like "Its done when its done", it sounded like Epic had n resources for unlimited months with n feature list. I understand things don't go like that in the business, but why was marketing allowed to spread phrases like that?

(Sorry for going off-topic, but I'm curious how things work in a real business. I understand you can't please everybody when it comes to it. :))

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Hi,
actually most part of the complains are not toward missing features, but toward things that are supposed to work but do not. For example the UI not saving settings between matches, the bot roster not working at all (I cannot manage to play against a particular bot, they all get the same skin), or weird bot behaviour in WAR (please take a look at http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=614324).

I would call "not saving settings" a missing feature.
Not being able to select a both to play against is also a missing feature.

No, most complaints are about some part in UT3 not working exactly the way people want it to work (often not specifying how it should work, just that it's wrong; but that's common in case of bug/issue reports from people that never worked on a project others are (going to) use).

And there is of course the awesome bandwagon everybody wants to take a ride in. (pun intended).

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
I would call "not saving settings" a missing feature.
Not being able to select a both to play against is also a missing feature.

No, most complaints are about some part in UT3 not working exactly the way people want it to work (often not specifying how it should work, just that it's wrong; but that's common in case of bug/issue reports from people that never worked on a project others are (going to) use).

And there is of course the awesome bandwagon everybody wants to take a ride in. (pun intended).

I have worked on a project (videogame) before, and all the complains I have are about things included in the game that don't work properly. If it saves some settings, and if it has a button with "bot" on it, means the above features were decided to be in.
I'm not complaining like "I want multimegajump" or "I want a sniper rifle without laser" because I understand that those are CHOICES of the developers, and if I don't like them I go play another game. Loads of people that are complaining should just understand that this is a UT game, and cannot encompass features of other games like stealth, real life weapons, and so on.
I just like the game the way it is, only, they could have forgot about a plot and cutscenes and fixed more bugs - but I understand that a single player campaign can make the game sell more than a fix for pro players.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Internet and the whole world shrunk when Epic quoted me and replied to my post.

I know from own experience that I don't play along well with people complaining. I usually don't do anything at all and put my defense on. I can't really blame Epic if they are doing the same.

This UWindows thingy sure could prove useful if it's fully modifiable, open source and functional. I hope the authors will add some nice features mentioned above like remembering last game settings after restarting the executables and improved bot selection.