Why can't Epic fix the Bot Selection Team Based Game Modes UI

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Actually it is to some extent, sure they all use the same AI class but there are settings in there which set them apart like aggressiveness, combat style etc. Compare akasha to reaper and grobar and you'll see what I mean :cool:

I can't find a single trace on characters based rules for bots. They're all the same as far as I can tell.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Hmmz interesting, I could have sworn there was a multiplier in there when playing players vs bots. Maybe its not in the ini, wait a sec...

Code:
var bool				bPlayersVsBots;
var globalconfig	float	BotRatio;			// only used when bPlayersVsBots is true

Okies so unless the gamemode is bPlayersVsBots this ratio wont work, strange it doesnt seem to be set in the defaults anywhere maybe thats a commandline option you can get at. Hopefully this helps alittle, Epic might not have made an easy way to use it but that doesnt mean its not there. We've heard the screams about the UI so yeah, instead of complaining about missing features because you cant see them perhaps do alittle research and you'll find out its in there. Ofcoarse being in there and usable are two different things I guess clicking submit post is easier then checking out server admin and code info :p

Actually it is to some extent, sure they all use the same AI class but there are settings in there which set them apart like aggressiveness, combat style etc. Compare akasha to reaper and grobar and you'll see what I mean :cool:

Player versus Bots is needed for gametypes like "Invasion" if i am not mistaken, it is not there for normal Instant Action use (nor would it have done anyone any good hidden away in some ini somewhere).

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
I can't find a single trace on characters based rules for bots. They're all the same as far as I can tell.

At first glance the bots seem to act all the same but MonsOlympus is right. There are custom AI settings that give certain bots different behaviors. Is interesting because sometimes it looks as thought the bots more complex personalities than this is actually there.

On the topic at hand I know it can be annoying sometime to see yet another thread with someone complaining about their favorite feature missing for UT3 but in most cases can you really blame them? I'm sure everyone can agreed that the UI in has taken out much more that it has added compared to previous.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Player versus Bots is needed for gametypes like "Invasion" if i am not mistaken, it is not there for normal Instant Action use (nor would it have done anyone any good hidden away in some ini somewhere).

So again youre just talking about the crap UI, talk about necrohorsey!

I mean sure Im up for discussion things to improve UT3 but the UI is the least of my worries, thats Epic's problem so they can deal with it honestly. You'll have to forgive me for being blunt but as a modder I look at UT3 as a modding platform not just as a game I play but trust me when I say I play it alot (offline even).

PlayersVsBots "only" puts humans on one team does it? ****ed if I know honestly, Im not the one trying to find something to whine about every week!

Im just sick of hearing about how crap the UI is, lets talk about the features themselves, lets talk about ini settings, avoiding the UI completely would give you a better UT3 experience anyways.

So send Epic an email listing all this **** already and keep it outta here, talk about booooring, same **** different month for 7 months FFS already :rolleyes:

You can say oh Epic didnt do x or y or z in 7 months but you cant expect them to read every post on every thread in all UT forums, its just not going to happen. If you feel that strongly about a feature setup a petition (think we had one of those before it was released). Either way complain as much as you like on the forums, all you'll do is piss people off and it'll never get looked at.

Missions(129)=(MissionID=129,Title="<Strings:UTGameUI.FriendlyMapNames.TorlanDelta>",Map="WAR-Torlan_Leviathan",URL="?NumPlay=11?GoalScore=1",OpponentFaction="Krall",RequiredTeammates=("Jester","Othello","Bishop"),RequiredOpponents=("Blackfang","Bargest","Claw","Lockjaw","Worg","Scar","Hellhound"),Style=EMT_Battle,Location="<Strings:UTGameUI.MapLocationDescription.TorlanDelta>",GlobeBoneName="B_ONSTorlan",GlobeTag="Taryd",cameraDist=200.000000,BriefingText="<Strings:UTGameUI.CampaignBriefing.BriefDesc9>",BriefingAudioCue=SoundCue'A_Character_Reaper_Cue.MissionBriefings.A_MissionBriefing_Reaper_Torlan02Cue',ObjectiveText="<Strings:UTGameUI.CampaignObjectiveDesc.ObjDesc129>",Objectives=((Image=Texture2D'UI_Objectives.WAR.T_Gen_11_0',Text="<Strings:UTGameUI.CampaignObjectives.ObjDesc11_0>",FocusTime=8.000000),(Image=Texture2D'UI_Objectives.WAR.T_Torlan_9_1',Text="<Strings:UTGameUI.CampaignObjectives.ObjDesc9_1>",FocusTime=8.000000),(Image=Texture2D'UI_Objectives.WAR.T_Torlan_15_1',Text="<Strings:UTGameUI.CampaignObjectives.ObjDesc15_1>",FocusTime=8.000000),(Image=Texture2D'UI_Objectives.WAR.T_Torlan_15_2',Text="<Strings:UTGameUI.CampaignObjectives.ObjDesc15_2>",FocusTime=8.000000)))

UTCustomChar.ini
(CharName="Lauren",Description="<Strings:UTGameUI.CharLocData.Lauren_Description>",CharID="A",bLocked="true",Faction="Ironguard",PreviewImageMarkup="<Images:UI_Portrait.Character.UI_Portrait_Character_Ironguard_Female_Head01>",CharData=(FamilyID="IRNF",HeadID="A",TorsoID="A",ShoPadID="A",bHasLeftShoPad=true,bHasRightShoPad=true,ArmsID="A",ThighsID="A",BootsID="A"),AIData=(Tactics=1.0, StrafingAbility=1.0, Accuracy=0.5,FavoriteWeapon="UTGame.UTWeap_ShockRifle"))

(CharName="Sharptooth",Description="<Strings:UTGameUI.CharLocData.Sharptooth_Description>",CharID="F",bLocked="true",Faction="Krall",PreviewImageMarkup="<Images:UI_Portrait.Character.UI_Portrait_Character_Krall_Male_Head02>",CharData=(FamilyID="KRAM",HeadID="B",HelmetID="B",TorsoID="B",ShoPadID="B",bHasLeftShoPad=false,bHasRightShoPad=true,ArmsID="B",ThighsID="B"),AIData=(Accuracy=0.25,Jumpiness=0.5,StrafingAbility=0.5,Tactics=0.5,CombatStyle=-0.2,FavoriteWeapon="UTGame.UTWeap_RocketLauncher"))

Last edited:

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I just do not understand how it is that we are at patch 1.3 on the PC and yet you still can't set up teams easily like you were able to do in ALL previous versions of UT.

I guess folks just didn't read this part or chose to completely ignore it. This is not a thread complaining about a broken feature for no reason or simply to nag Epic ... its a legitimate question asked about something that imo should be fixed by this time. I don't complain about stuff like this anymore but given the the patch is due to be released soon I wondered out loud how this could be the case.

I really don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over some else posting what is on his mind ... that is what a forum is about and if you don't like a topic then ignore it. I know I ignore plenty of topics everyday ... there is just no need ... no good reason for me to complain about someone else complaining. Talk about looking hypocritical.

Anyway I think this is a valid issue at this time and if you don't fine I can respect your right to disagree and think differently but please don't litter this thread with meaningless posts. It doesn't benefit any body.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Mons, honestly, it would do you some good to remember that you are not forced to participate in any thread on this forum, if you don't like the topic you can just skip the thread and read another one you like better.

There's no need to have a tantrum, just read something else instead, or come back to this one when you are in the mood for this kind of discussion, nobody is forcing anything on you here.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
^^^ Can a mod please delete that post? See this is just what I was talking about and I just asked nicely for folks not to litter this thread with meaningless posts. *sigh*

Edit: Not yours Grobut ... the one above yours.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Actually anuban the thread title says, Why cant Epic Fix! They never said they couldnt, they never said it was going to be added, theres no expectations that it should be in there.

I mean sure Im not going to say the feature isnt worth putting in (Im for adding it actually) but there could be a good reason why its not (not that epic couldnt do it). Its just simply not in there, whats so hard to understand about that?

If youre not asking to have it put back in whats the point of the thread besides more horsery?

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
In addition to Mons post a couple back, there are lots of features missing. Why is this one more important than the other ones?

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
I already answered those questions Mons ... obviously we don't agree on this ... fine ... I can live with that. I hope you can to. And I don't understand your point about my thread title ... maybe you are analyzing this too deeply ... I don't know but at this point I honestly don't care. As I said many many IA and Offline players are negatively affected by this and it doesn't make any sense that it would be changed when the system for choosing teammates has been great for many years now.

Edit: Really I have said all I have to say on this matter. I am not going to keep repeating myself. If others agree fine ... if people don't agree that is fine as well. If you want to keep debating this among yourselves that is fine also. As I said many times a new thread is started because someone is thinking aloud and wants others to hear it but not necessarily to get into a protracted discussion. I brought this up in particular because yet another patch is near to being released and yet another feature that is very important to many many offline players was left untouched again ... and this is now 7 months into the life of UT3. So to me it is a letigimate question ... maybe Epic will respond someday (not to me but in general about this issue) and say they can fix it but they just haven't had time yet ... I don't know and can't say for sure. But what I do know is that from time to time I will mention issues like this and keep Epic aware that certain things should have never been excluded from a game meant to satisfy both online and offline gamers.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
We are talking about UT3 though, we have only had the game 7 months, it hasnt negatively affected me too much being almost exclusively an offline player!

Dont agree on what? You arnt making any sense, I just think you put things across in a poor manner sometimes. For instance the thread title for starters could have been "Bot Selection in Team Based Game Modes". Maybe there is a way to do it and someone could post a howto, maybe its not possible and its good for adding to the wishlist.

I just dont get why you are using a feature of another game to be dissapointed about this one for, as I said I actually agree with getting it added so again what are we not agreeing on?

Edit:
And if we are doing play your most wanted feature to add! The ability for modders to adjust the Game Settings menus comes in about 100 places above this one... sorry!

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
In addition to Mons post a couple back, there are lots of features missing. Why is this one more important than the other ones?

Which features are the most important is ofcourse highly subjective, different players will have different pet peeves about UT3, but we can make one devide here, Offline versus Online, thease are basically two different "halves" of the game, and we know from Epic that the UT community is split pretty much 50/50 between the two.

With 1.3 the Online portion of the game will finally be in a pretty desent shape, they have added Webadmin and alot of needed tweaks to the Serverbrowser, thats all good, but the Offline portion has had barely any tweaks at all, they have tweaked the bots slightly 2 times, but that was also needed for Online play (since bots are used online aswell to fill servers), and it has done nothing to fix the most damning flaws of Instant Action.

You have often said it yourself, Instant Action is the weakest part of UT3, so is it really odd that the aprox 50% of UT'ers that play Offline want this half of the game to see some much needed attention now too? i don't think it's asking much..

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[Snarf];2148528 said:
Yes, and people ask me why I like Crysis better than UT3? Because Crytek took pretty much every negative aspect of Far Cry, and improved it. As you say, EPIC have done the very opposite. They seem to have abandoned everything they have learnt over their years of making quality games. They can't even maintain the standards they set.
They hardly added anything at all for Crysis other than graphically. AND they use Gamespy for multiplayer as well :p

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Pretty subjective I guess.
[Snarf];2148591 said:
Storyline - Far Cry: absolutely ridiculously stupid, Crysis: stupid
Far Cry: Lame, Crysis: as lame or lamer (the only redeeming quality was the design of the alien stuff, imo).
Voice Acting - Far Cry: Terrible, Crysis: Decent
Far Cry: Crap, Crysis: Crap.
Weapon customization - Far Cry: No, Crysis: Yes (improved stealth gameplay)
Uhhhh... this was hardly an enhancement.
Destructable environment - Far Cry: No, Crysis: Yes
Ok.
A.I. - Far Cry: almost OK, Crysis: Very good
Far Cry: limitless levels of retardedness, Crysis: Infinite levels of retardedness.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah I was gonna say I didnt think the AI was anything to rave about, even farcry where it actually got hyped was a disappointment.