My "Thing I'd like to see in Envy" thread.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Go&nd said:
There is a distinct difference between the grim and gritty sci-fi bloodbath portrayed in UT and the brightly-colored flamboyance and contrived over-acting of pro wrestling.

Exactly. UT had a dark, almost underground feel to its tournament. 2k3 Portrayed a campy, fanboyism with it's contestants strutting to the stage like smug wrestling stars ("Can you smmmeeeeeeeeell what the Brock is cookin'?") 2k4 tried to get back to the UT feel, but disregarded the tournament them in its introduction and tried to portray it as a war.

Personally, I think a happy medium would be a them along the lines of the movie Running Man. It had a dark, underground feel to it, yet it also had the fanboys. Though some contestants compete for the thrill of the kill, many are force to play for various reasons. Regardless, it's a very dark and violent scene.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Captain Kewl said:
The pro wrestling intro r0x0r3d (they kinda ruined it in the final build-- it was funnier in the leaked alpha build I downloaded from teh interweb but only becuz I'm TEH BIG UNRELA FAN OLOLOL I culdn't wait 0_°!!!!!1111). :p

Edited. Makes more sense now.

Hehe :D

1337 version

Last edited:

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Renegade Retard said:
Personally, I think a happy medium would be a them along the lines of the movie Running Man. It had a dark, underground feel to it, yet it also had the fanboys. Though some contestants compete for the thrill of the kill, many are force to play for various reasons.

OMG SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Epic people read this board! Next thing we know my beloved Gorge will be entering the arena singing opera like Dynamo!
(Movie rules heavily by the way. Now I must go watch it again)

Anyways a little OT, haven't you ever wondered what the "home game" for Running Man was like that those people won on the show?

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
But then he got owned, by a skaarj. Who was subquesently owned by an errant spidermine.

Death Cube K

You'll be seeing him alot.
Mar 1, 2005
Big Apple, 3:00 AM
FireCrack said:
But then he got owned, by a skaarj. Who was subquesently owned by an errant spidermine.

Not in MY version.

Thx u Boo.

BooGiTyBoY said:
One major thing I'd like them to do for the new game is capture that "arena tv show feel."

The whole point of this thing is it's supposed to be a futuristic pro-wrestling bloodsport with guns.

UT captured that pretty well with it's map designs and backround.
2K3 captured it perfectly with it's single-player intro.... then kinda forgot about it during the level designs, etc.
2K4... welll... 2k4 is more of a wargame than a televised bloodsport and feels nothing like what it's supposed to be.
UC2 from what I've seen from the videos it seems like they tried to stick with it and bring that feel back, (although I'm still mad at Epic for changing Gorge from a psycho penitentiary planet killer to an eyeliner fan-jealous malcolm-wannabee wuss. DAMN YOU!!!!)

I agree with all this. ESPECIALLY the part about how Epic ****ed up Gorge in UC2. Although they screwed over pretty much everything in that, especially the Necris.

Phayder != corporation
Necris != futuristic zombies

Last edited:

BooGiTyBoY

They only respawn IN the arena :)
Besides I'm sure it's not a perfect science and there are side-effects/risks to it. SUch as Malcolm's broken spine, Gorge's scar from malcolm mentioned in the 2k3 intro, etc. Look at the translocator. Tells you right in the weapons description that too much usage causes the people using them to go skitzo and insane. :)

Which brings us way back to the underground fighting thing and using society's undesirables to fight in them. For example, Gorge is from a penal planet. (I said penal , hehe) Think the tournament people actually care wether he respawns safe and sound everytime without harm? haha.

Man, I love debating useless information and topics. :D

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
BooGiTyBoY said:
Fixed :tup:

He was smart enough to kill Brock and break Malcolm's spine, hehe. ;)

Gorge would've been pwned by Loque. Pyschotic, mad whatnot.. he would've **** his cyborg pants and ran off.

LOQUE=DAH MAN :rant: :tup:

And don't you EVER forget it!

Epic did :O( ;O)
Useless topics indeed :D

Brock is a wimp.

BooGiTyBoY

HOW DARE THEE!!! :lol:

Juggernaut:
Definition: "A massive inexorable force that seems to crush everything in its way"
The term juggernaut is used to describe any literal or metaphorical force regarded as unstoppable; that will crush all in its path.

See that?

ALL in it's path! ;)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Loque is above and beyond ALL, hombre ^_^

And not too mention George, the Skaarjbersker.

I wonder if Gorge could take on those Skaarj from Xidia. Those praetorian skaarj...
I'm not so sure he could. Those blades can easily cut through 30 cm of steel...
At least.
And they're a lot bigger/quicker than Gorge :p