Capitalism is bullshit.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
The company I work for was just bought by some corporate douchebags from Silicon Valley. They are well-known sweatshop operators apparently interested in absorbing our APIs and firing everyone who isn’t critical to maintaining them. As a designer, I assume I am unemployed starting tomorrow. If not... that might be worse?

The moral of the story: Always think ahead and have a contingency plan ready to go, folks.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I'm so glad I don't work in The U.S. anymore. When I worked for Siemens in Ohio it was very much the same sort of thing. They would bring in efficiency experts that would ingeniously come up with "If you get rid of half your staff annually, you double your moneies every times." I made all the cuts, but I figured it was only a matter of time before the axe fell on my neck. My wife and I decided it would be best to live in Japan after getting married, so here I am. It's 5 years later and I have no regrets. Fuck America. Move out and find a job elsewhere if you can.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's 5 years later and I have no regrets. Fuck America. Move out and find a job elsewhere if you can.
... but keep your citizenship and make sure you vote on things that don't matter to you anymore :p

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
... but keep your citizenship and make sure you vote on things that don't matter to you anymore :p

Excepting international policies ;) you Americans always forget your impact on the world.

crypto, I'm sorry that sucks.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com

Damn right! To have a say in what to do in the most powerful country in the world is not something anyone should give up.

On a more serious note; your nationality is a huge part of your identity. Even though Japan feels a lot like home now, I will always be an American in the way I identify myself with a country.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Capitalism is great if you have the cojones to go at it by yourself. Working for some other schmuck rarely works out.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Urm, humans are the planet, if they consume it, then it is by design.

Not intelligent design, but, something like that.

Don't fight it.

Thanatos amen

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
it continually surprises me that software designers haven't scripted effective replacements for HR.

*edit* The Teamster in me says "Unionize!!!".... the old school in me says "Molotov cocktails!!!'.... the realist "find a new employer, ASAP"

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Yeah, it's becoming more and more important to participate intelligently in this deteriorating market. Both in where you spend your money, and in who you make it from. With out current election funding sources, you have to account for the politics of who you buy from and work for.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
That sucks crypto :(

Still, that is how the industry do these days. It doesn't matter what sub-field you're in; if it has anything to do with tech, you basically have zero job security anymore.

On a more serious note; your nationality is a huge part of your identity. Even though Japan feels a lot like home now, I will always be an American in the way I identify myself with a country.

I'm sure this has nothing at all to do with the fact that it is incredibly hard for foreigners to become Japanese citizens (even if you're married to one.)

TL;DR: You must speak Japanese fluently, have a squeaky-clean criminal record, and reside in the country continuously for at least five years. That's not mentioning the other ~45 steps. Japan does not allow dual-citizenship making the process doubly hard because you've got to renounce your original nationality. For us Americans, that means you've also got to pay the "Loss of Nationality" taxes which tend to be very expensive; I've heard that the entire process can cost over $100,000.

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
That sucks crypto :(

Still, that is how the industry do these days. It doesn't matter what sub-field you're in; if it has anything to do with tech, you basically have zero job security anymore.

I'm sure this has nothing at all to do with the fact that it is incredibly hard for foreigners to become Japanese citizens (even if you're married to one.)

TL;DR: You must speak Japanese fluently, have a squeaky-clean criminal record, and reside in the country continuously for at least five years. That's not mentioning the other ~45 steps. Japan does not allow dual-citizenship making the process doubly hard because you've got to renounce your original nationality. For us Americans, that means you've also got to pay the "Loss of Nationality" taxes which tend to be very expensive; I've heard that the entire process can cost over $100,000.

Learning Japanese is not hard if you have lived here for 5 years. You have to have a "criminal record" to even get a visa to live here, so non-issue for those applying as you've had to have been here for five years.

Anyway, I'm not sure why anyone from Australia, Europe, or The U.S. would want to get citizenship anyway. You are much better off applying for permanent residency.(which is what I plan to do) You get all the stuff you would care about in citizenship minus all the BS.

My daughter has both American and Japanese Citizenship. She is suppose to renounce one or the other per Japanese Law, but Japan never checks nor has any way to verify that she did. They also never check. I know many dual citizens here well over 20. Nobody really cares. It's one of the many things here where they won't say anything if you don't bring it up yourself first.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I may just very well end up moving to our not-nearly-as-shitty neighbor Canada.

Do it. I've met a lot of Americans that took a job in Japan because of the terrible working conditions in The U.S. Fuck America. Let it become the next Guyana full of drooling, Nascar watching, Walmart shopping idiots.