Has anyone managed to lose weight via a diet only ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I have a toddler and don't have time to exercise at all aside from mowing the lawn and playing with my daughter. I've lost 40 lbs since January. All I did was cut out all processed foods and stay away from grains. Grains are great if you plan on running a marathon every day, but all the "health benefits" people say about them aren't that realistic. If you look at the structure of a grain, it's mostly pure energy in the form of starch. If you're not going to expel that energy you'll get fat. The only nutrition is in the bran and germ and they're tiny compared to the endosperm.

anatomy1.jpeg

I'm not advocating a low card diet at all. I eat fruit and veggies daily, but the carbs in those don't come even close to what is in grains, plus you get the added benefit of real nutrition intake without the calories.

http://puu.sh/9bP9Y/491fbfe876.png

Learning how to cook and controlling your ingredients is the most effective way to lose weight. Healthy food doesn't need to taste like cardboard. There's a world of spices and herbs out there that tastes far better than any processed sugar concoction you can think of. Just eat real food from raw ingredients. It takes as long to prepare as you want. You can make an awesome Greek cucumber salad in a few minutes.

The simplest rule to follow is avoid three things if you're not active. Flour, potatoes, and processed sugar (any sugar, brown or white, in a bag is processed). These are all high energy foods with a nutritional value that doesn't offset the high energy intake. White potatoes are just bad, but sweet potatoes are a little better. Different colors mean different vitamins and other nutrients. White usually means it's pointless to eat. Cauliflower is indeed pointless to eat aside from some Vitamin C.

Last edited:

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
The only way you can lose weight is through changing your diet, it's virtually impossible to exercise enough to lose weight. There have been times where I've worked out 15 hrs a week and still not lost weight. Eat a lot of vegetables and meat, cut out anything that comes in a box or contains a ton of sugar.

For real weight loss I would really recommend looking into intermittent fasting (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110403090259.htm). You need to prime your body to pull from your fat reserves. Once you acclimate to it the low-energy feeling that normally accompanies low carbohydrates will stop.

I don't believe you are correct. Diet is a key component to losing weight, but yes you can exercise enough to lose weight. I do 25 to 50 mile bikerides two to three times a week, and without changing my diet I went from 180 to 165lb over a summer, that's 15lb in less than 3 months, 5lb a month, that was without dieting.

Had I included dieting it would have been faster of course, but yes you can exercise weight away, you just have to do long periods of cardiovascular aerobic work.

Deathbooger you are misinformed about 'white vegetables'.
Cauliflower has decent amounts of fiber, folate and actually has a high nutritional density. It just doesn't have a lot of carbs or fat.

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I actually wonder how to gain weight.

Word. I can't gain weight at all and I eat the worst shit. I actually lost about 15 pounds recently eating big macs and shit tacos from Taco Bell. :(

I'm usually about 160, but I went down to 145.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Some people are just genetically prone to be stick figures to the point it doesn't matter what you eat. I'm prone to be fat so I have to eat less than most people.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Word. I can't gain weight at all and I eat the worst ****. I actually lost about 15 pounds recently eating big macs and **** tacos from Taco Bell. :(

I'm usually about 160, but I went down to 145.

I'm also normally about 155-160, I 'm currently at 138lb and dropping due to liver problems and things that I never expected to deal with at 28... Shit sucks, but once it's over with I'm gorging myself on fat and carbs. :D

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'm also normally about 155-160, I 'm currently at 138lb and dropping due to liver problems and things that I never expected to deal with at 28... Shit sucks, but once it's over with I'm gorging myself on fat and carbs. :D

Damn man, good luck with that. Hopefully everything gets fixed. :)

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
What's wrong with your liver?

No clue yet, just that my bilirubin levels are more than double the highest they should be. I've got a colonoscopy and liver biopsy coming up on friday. Probably alcohol and bad genetics. Between 22-26 I was drinking pretty heavy, two to three 22oz bottles of 7-10% microbrewed beer a day, average. I've but back to 2-4 beers a week in the past couple of years, but maybe the damage is already done?

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
2-3 bottles of beer a day is not that much, I'd worry about bad genes or worse hepatitis.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
No clue yet, just that my bilirubin levels are more than double the highest they should be. I've got a colonoscopy and liver biopsy coming up on friday. Probably alcohol and bad genetics. Between 22-26 I was drinking pretty heavy, two to three 22oz bottles of 7-10% microbrewed beer a day, average. I've but back to 2-4 beers a week in the past couple of years, but maybe the damage is already done?

That's not it. I mean, drinking alcohol when you already have unknown liver problems is bad of course, but that amount wouldn't do it. My uncle drank maybe 10 times that amount daily for decades before his liver finally shut down.

If I were you I'd just stop drinking altogether for the time being just to be safe.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Yeah when I found out about my liver enzyme levels I haven't had a drop since. I don't have an addiction to it thank god, no cravings or anything, I just like the taste of a rich beer with a meal, but if it's my health, fuck alcohol, I can give it up.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
No clue yet, just that my bilirubin levels are more than double the highest they should be.
The liver is fantastically recoverable and if you are honest about your alcohol and you aren't an IV drug user then it will probably be OK.

Don't screw around with this. If they skipped an ultrasound and went right to biopsy (considering your weight loss) then you don't want to play games. Time means everything if there is a problem.