EXTREME 1on1 Mapping challenge

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Judging system for contest

• Open (Community decideds whether Hourences gets to stay in the house)

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Closed (It's up to the corrupt judges to have the final say)

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
nope. If i tried to include a prize it wouldn't be very good and probably easy to brush aside as pathetic so i'm not going to bother with that :p

It's something to put on your game-dev resume if nothing else :lol:. Winning a game design competition based around uniqueness is surely something potential employers would like to see.

Raccool

The Fistmancer
Oct 22, 2008
Boise, ID
Sign me up to be challenged! I'm all for any excuse to practice. Also have a really cool idea for a 1v1 warfare map but I'm not sure how to make it work yet...

boogler

Banned
Jun 4, 2008
@IronKnuckle

I'm pretty sure someone who has played the UT series competetively in regards to lans, ladders, clanbase cups, and pickup games for years has more credibility in regards to what makes a map good for competition than someone who plays Logue 24/7. You are an offline player. You make map strategies based upon predicatable paths and movements that are constantly used by bots everytime you load the game. You have no idea what makes a map have good flow just for that simple fact. Competetive online players are the ONLY ones who can truly judgement a map for great gameplay flow. That's why some maps make the cut for competition and others end up on servers that have CTF-DagnyPlayhouseAdventure.

This is a response to your statement that offline players have just about the same ammount of knowledge when it comes to map flow as to competitive online ones.

Here is a challenge. Name me ONE offline mapper who has successfully created maps that are in constant rotation in regards to ladder play, server access, and cup matches.

Smart Mappers ask people who play 1v1's constantly what should be included or excluded from a map. They ask people who are in the top of the community what kind of flow will make their map excel. They don't asked Malcolm and the Necris to make decision for them. rofl.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
@Boogler: you forgot the "/elitistTwat" tag...

Btw, you're not making a logical statement here.
Yes, top competitive players are probably the best at judging maps for competitive use.
However, I didn't read anywhere that this contest should only feature comp maps.
In fact, the introductory post states multiple times that "tight CliffyB pretzel-shaped maps", "1337 floorplan business", etc are specifically NOT what this contest is about.

What's to say that these maps will not be played offline, against the very bots they were built for?

You fail.

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

@IronKnuckle

I'm pretty sure someone who has played the UT series competetively in regards to lans, ladders, clanbase cups, and pickup games for years has more credibility in regards to what makes a map good for competition than someone who plays Logue 24/7. You are an offline player. You make map strategies based upon predicatable paths and movements that are constantly used by bots everytime you load the game. You have no idea what makes a map have good flow just for that simple fact. Competetive online players are the ONLY ones who can truly judgement a map for great gameplay flow. That's why some maps make the cut for competition and others end up on servers that have CTF-DagnyPlayhouseAdventure.
Ok, before i say anything that is on-topic, i'll just compliment you for getting across your point without swearwords and (personal) insults.
The impersonal insults remain however.
I think all the rebutal that is needed is this quote:
@Boogler: you forgot the "/elitistTwat" tag...
i mean come on! you've got to be kidding. "Competetive online players are the ONLY ones who can truly judgement a map for great gameplay flow.".
Total BS. :lol: Superiority complex much?

Sign me up to be challenged! I'm all for any excuse to practice. Also have a really cool idea for a 1v1 warfare map but I'm not sure how to make it work yet...

This is one that i really look forward to. :tup: These are the kinds of maps that are going to be totally different

Last edited:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Off topic but:

In reply to the discussion on how mappers or level designers understand gameflow:
Designers can learn how flow works in levels for any game mode by either extensively playing online themselves and immersing themselves in ladder/clanplay style matches to learn flow, or they can study human player behaviour in levels by either spectating aforementioned ladder/clanplay matches or by walking around in your own level a lot OFFLINE by yourself.

I think it is true it is easier to understand gameflow in levels if you have other human players show you how they behave, all the more so if they play at a serious level. However, it is not by any means an absolute necessity for designers to see others or high-level playing people play.
I myself have grown to hardly even test my layouts online, if at all. Yet people seem to enjoy playing them! How curious indeed.

Raccool

The Fistmancer
Oct 22, 2008
Boise, ID
So how does it work, then? Do we throw out a challenge to someone listing a game and gametype and they set the deadline and we haggle? Or do we just submit our work for it to be judged?

Last edited:

TheIronKnuckle

oh....... i don't exactly understand what you mean.
You pretty much make your map whenever, and submit it whenever. I'm likely to call a deadline when it seems that all submissions have arrived. The deadline is a bit like the "going once, going twice, gone" thing that happens at auctions. If i call the deadline and someone still has a map to finish i will try to give them more time.
Off topic but:

In reply to the discussion on how mappers or level designers understand gameflow:
Designers can learn how flow works in levels for any game mode by either extensively playing online themselves and immersing themselves in ladder/clanplay style matches to learn flow, or they can study human player behaviour in levels by either spectating aforementioned ladder/clanplay matches or by walking around in your own level a lot OFFLINE by yourself.

I think it is true it is easier to understand gameflow in levels if you have other human players show you how they behave, all the more so if they play at a serious level. However, it is not by any means an absolute necessity for designers to see others or high-level playing people play.
I myself have grown to hardly even test my layouts online, if at all. Yet people seem to enjoy playing them! How curious indeed.
This is generally true. Beta testing can get the human factor into a map even if the mapper is an offline gamer.

TheIronKnuckle

New submission! From chaos snake again. :lol: what a beast. It's 2k4 bombing run as the flavour this time. And this is a great example of how to make extremely unique maps in the 1on1 style. It is a small map, but it also has the Super Agility mutator embedded! Automated SPEED and BERSERK combos on at all times. It appears that to get at the scoring hoop you have to do some 1337 wall dodging for the full 7 points. But if you can't pull that off you can just shoot the ball for 3.
TBH this is the first map i've seen where there is a risk and some real skill involved with taking the 7 points.

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
could it be dm-1on1, and what that i hear of hourences doing something noughty tutut

Last edited:

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Great, I'll make sure that a version of DM-TitanFortress will be made as a 1-on-1. The traditional format for DM-TitanFortress is a Fatal 4-Way map, but I can make it 1vs1, if you want.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Well, the fact that the original Titan Fortress is a "Fatal Four Way" means that it's not exactly free-for-all. My original intent with that was to make it a closed-circuit, more controlled Deathmatch map. For starters, the stipulation was that you are only limited to fights in the central "hub" of the map, and the four of you would have your own quadrant of the map to play in, and you'd have your own pickups, your own weapon, your own ammo, your own armor, your own health, powerups, etc... If you went into another player's quadrant, my intent was to penalize you in some fashion, whether it be 10 health points deducted, armor reduced by half, something along those lines, if you were out of bounds or offsides, or whatever that penalty was. So yeah, it's a more restrictive version of DM, and I may probably make the prefix "DM-4Way-TitanFortress" in its final phase. Well, I think that I would probably put like a lava or slime river to set a boundary for everyone.

Now, for the 1-on-1 version, I may probably have it a little simpler. You'd have your lava river keeping you on your half of the map, and you'd meet on the boundary line, and have it out there. It's more on the lines of what you had in the old days with 1-on-1 duels, triple threats, and fatal four ways, so for UT2004 and UT3 it's a concept, but it's been done in real life since ancient days, where you set boundaries in a firefight.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Actually, for a true 1-on-1 map, I'm probably going to do a nightclub map of some sort. That should be awesome and receive a bunch of downloads. Getting to do that right now.
I'll save Titan Fortress for a 4-person DeathMatch for right now... This nightclub map, for a side note, it was one that I did as a rematch map for Duke 3D back about 10 years ago, where you took on the Cycloid Emperor in a nightclub, and started a barroom brawl, and you had the strippers all over the place that you could splatter with a few RPG rounds, that was fun. Of course, UT2004/UT3 doesn't have all that, but I can promise you a fun 1-on-1 DM, nonetheless. Love doing remakes of maps that I have done way back when into a new game.

Last edited:

2_Face

Dec 21, 2008
I've already finished my 1-on-1 map and i have a couple of doubts, do we have to mention the 1-on-1 mapping challenge in the ReadMe file or something?
Is there any criteria about the map's name? i mean something like DM-1-on-1MC-[MapName] ?