Which do you think is the best UT from all series?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which do you think is the best UT game from the series?

• UT 99 / Classic

Votes: 63 48.1%
  • UT2k3 / UT2k4

Votes: 48 36.6%
  • UT 3

Votes: 20 15.3%

• Total voters

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
Hands down UT because of the DM and CTF. CTF died after UT2003 came out and nothing has ever revived it an ANY FPS game. They screwed with the balance so much in 2k3 that is just wasn't fun anymore. Part of what made the translocator so critical was that the grounded movement in UT made the use of the xloc a liberating piece of technology. When you could double-dodge halfway across a map in 2k3/4 it started to blur those lines.

I would also like to point out that it's unfair the Unreal Championship 2 was left off this list even though it was not technically a "Tournament" title. It is the only standalone console title in the Unreal series and damned near perfection. It's still not UT though.

There are lots of reasons why the UT community completely degraded after UT. Part of it was simply FPS community choices in general became so vast. Gone are the days with any shooters where you can just load it up and find a vast number of servers populated. God, what happened to popping open the UT CTF server browser and literally having a 150 populated servers half full to capacity or more?

What the 2k3 and beyond haters of the franchise don't seem to be able to come to terms with is that the entire series is quite simply among the best of the best of it's generation. However, when comparing 2k3, 2k4, UT3 against its mother game UT they didn't pass muster. However, hold 2k3 and UT3 up against virtually any other FPS made. They are still the top of the top. Had there been no UT99 to be in the shadow of, 2k3/4 would have been hailed as one of the most brilliant shooters ever. Still think so. But nothing could live up to that.

In that same vain, 2k4 still in my eyes stands as one of the best vehicle combat experiences ever produced.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
I think that UT3 is undervalued mainly due to the gameplay which has in many cases been described as "poor". UT3 has potential, but due to the poor stock maps, a large amount of people have been put off. The core gameplay of UT3 is actually very good, but it is in no way complimented by the level gameplay.

Have you ever played any of the classic map remakes such as DM-Rankin for UT3? If you have you'll probably realise how much better UT3 is when played on a decent map. The stock maps are just too small and full of too many tight corridors to provide a chance to add to the core gameplay as a decent game should.

I've played all of the UT games for long periods of time and I think that they all have their pro's and con's, but I don't think that I can really say which is the best because they all have strengths and weaknesses.

UT is great online due to some of the great servers, but the offline play was a bit boring due to the bot AI.

UT2004 was fairly good online and off, but I wouldn't call it the best in the series because some aspects of it just don't compare well to the features of the other UT games.

UT3. I like UT3 and play it frequently, but there are few servers that have anyone playing on them. The stock maps are boring, but on a few custom maps (I usualy only download the more realistic maps rather than the insane ones) the game play can be very gripping and intense.

I think that everyone should give UT3 another try on a few decent maps and re-evaluate it because I really think that it is undervalued.

Magwa

Sep 28, 2004
For total package UT99 it had it all ..the others have had good parts but not the total package UT was and still is Uwindows for the win...

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
Liandri Mining Facility: ***
[VaLkyR]Assassin;2137309 said:
I'm a bit stuck between 99' and 2K4 when considering the gameplay and mapping perspectives, and I agree with what most have said. I think due to variety of modes and mods and mapping flexibility compared to 99', that 2K4 will just get my vote, but 99' is my preference from a solely gameplay view-point.

That's exactly the same for me.
Love UT3 graphically.
Love UT2k4's gore
and love UT99's grit, gore, gameplay, and taunts.

UT99 and 2k4 are actually on even grounds for me.
But I still play UT3 more simply because I'm petty and like my eye candy.

omie jay

Awesome User
Jul 20, 2008
Sydney, Australia
If UT3 had all the features of UT2k4 (game types, heaps of characters) then it'd be awesome.
I need ut2k4 on my new laptop, last time i played it was on the crappy family laptop on the lowest settings, since apparantly its gore is good, i gotta see at max settings.

thinsoldier

Jul 30, 2008
I like UT3. A lot.

I "played" the first two, but not in any really serious way. What's so god awful about 3?

The overdone details. The monotonous color schemes on some maps. The effing bloom and post-processing effects. The useless story. Sound and music nowhere near as memorable as the previous games. Unfun/cheezy/forgettable/bland/mediocre taunts. The overwhelming similarity to gears of war. The lack of a feeling of connection between either of the previous games in some ways. The appearance/style of the user interface. The lack of features/options in the user interface.

Sudden crazy idea to find out which is best!
get some 12-14 year olds who've never played any of them (the less gaming experience in general the better-think poor people).
Make them listen to (but not watch) you play both for about 1 hour each. Let them pick which they'd most want to play.
Wait a week.
Bring them back, let them play each game for 1 hour each with no sound.
Again, let them pick the best in their opinion.
Wait a few days then let them play normally. The discussion afterward about the best/worst of each would probably lead to a perfect list of how to fix ut3.

*the above very closely mimics my introduction to gaming in general*

thinsoldier

Jul 30, 2008
I think that UT3 is undervalued mainly due to the gameplay which has in many cases been described as "poor". UT3 has potential, but due to the poor stock maps, a large amount of people have been put off.

I strongly agree with this. I remember in the lead up to the ut3 launch there were all these articles about the epic map building process where they start with a featureless shell and work on just that until it's fun by itself. But I find myself not playing any of the maps that shipped with the game. My absolute favorite maps, the only ones I play, are remakes of classic levels from ut & q3 (most of which I rarely or never played the original of) and most of the HOLP pack and some of the CBP and a ton of beta quality maps from epics ut3 forums that (no matter the lack/abundance of details) have a great fun feel to them.

Actually I'm looking for map suggestions if anyone has any.
Examples of the types of maps I like:
campgrounds, cathedral, longestyard, sniper training facility, white realm, CTF-TutorialClassicBeta1, dm-1on1-park-beta1, Dm-][CPM1a (quake challenge pro mode arena), dm-codex, dm-codex-necris, ctf-turbo, ctf-ultra, dm-noca, any other map with great lighting/texturing that lets it stand up to the default maps while still letting me get 200+ fps 80% of the time.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
What I hated in the UT3 editor most was the fact they removed the possibility to put a texture directly on a surface, removed the skybox technology which did have its purpose and now you have to use giant space-wide meshes for the sky though that was needed for the advantage of making your map in space rather then a substract, and a few other things I can't fully remember now.

I agree about how having to add "materials" (or are they called "manufactures") to surfaces instead of just textures is cumbersome. I wish they could have set it up so that you could add either plain textures or materials to surfaces.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
The poll is really only meaningful if only people who have played each game for a significant amount of time vote. My vote is for UT99 with UT 2004 as a close second.

UT99 wins in the area of gameplay but I think UT 2004 has a better user interface and Onslaught is an excellent game. I think UT 2004's Assault game is better too and I like the Invasion Monster Hunt RPG mod. UT 2004 falls short in the area of the on-foot game types--DM and CTF because the floaty-dodgeyness transforms it into a game of hit-scan. Also, they screwed the pooch by not reverting UT 2004's DOMination game back to the UT99 domination game. If UT 2004 had been a real UT99-2 -- if it had had the UT99 feel and movement then everyone would be playing UT 2004 right now. Also, Bombing Run would have been a big hit I think (get rid of the floaty-dodgeyness hitscan and it would be fun).

For competitive CTF I play UT99 PUG matches (5-on-5 matches where the teams are picked by captains and played with Teamspeak voice comm). When I want to play on public servers I hit up UT 2004 and play Onslaught and Invasion-RPG. I think UT3's Warfare game and DM are decent but I prefer UT 2004's Onslaught for the most part and I've never been much of a DM'er.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Got Unreal anthology the other day. After playing Playing UT99, UT2004 and UT3 and carefully analysing them I can say.

UT2004 is da best.
Nothing beats a 1 vs 1 against homer simpsion in DM-MF-TheLongestYard.

poompoom500

DnM (aka Y_Knot?)
Jan 23, 2008
NJ, USA
www.angelfire.com
Unreal Tournamnet game...

:rolleyes:To Mircea,

About the only UT game I ever played is UT2K4! So for me, that is the game. The thing that I really liked is the Unreal Editor. It allowed me to make custom maps - mainly Assault maps!

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
UTGOTY.

I have made my install of 2k4 better through mutes and by importing many of the better 2k3 maps. I use healthonly mute and a few others. (I cant stand adrenaline etc. Generally all that is left are ammo and simple health packs). I would have voted 2k4 except that I had to do too much work to make it playable. (In know, people love it. I understand. Its just personal preference).

P.S.
I do prefer the t-loc in 2k4. UT3 improved gameplay in general (closer to the original) but I find it unplayable due to system requirements. I really dont give a damn about the 'improved' graphics. That is all too carmackian.

Last edited:

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
voted 2k4 but loved UT99 in it's prime

I voted 2k4.UT became harder,funner, and more rewarding with the intro of the new moves,the lg,less rox,etc. imho.The shield was unneeded,but overall the changes grew on me,even though I was a die hard 99er for many years.

2k4 for the last few years has been a great game and made me forget about 99.UT3 just doesn't even compare in the most important factors of them all.Is the game fun enough that you will play regularly and have other people to play?I want to love it and play it,but it's just not there after giving it a fair chance.When I did this for 2k4 it grabbed me.UT3 sadly has not.

Metaltron

choppin' broccoli
Mar 3, 2009
Santa Cruz
steamcommunity.com
voted UT only because it's the one I played the most through the years, hell even on the dreamcast.
Honestly I like all three, they all have strengths and weaknesses that make me sit an stare at my steam list trying to figure out which one I should play this time.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Did anyone notice that this thread is atually from previous year? But meh