X-COM / UFO DEFENCE

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BlackAce

Wing Commander
Jan 7, 2002
Mons - Belgium
www.planetunreal.com
Hi there fellas,

Im a X-Com fan and Modeller of old AirfightUT MOD for UT. These days Im looking for a X-Com mod but all the "remake"s in work-in-process are just horrible (except UFO2000) and on the other hand UFO:AA/AS series are, well they just forgot the main concept of X-Com...

is there any coder who is willing to work/develop some X-COM remake these days? I would like to help as a modeller,

my thoughts upon concepts about possible and successfull X-COM remake are,

Technical:
*Tactical game play needs to be turn based, 3D can be supported by UT graphics engine, (thats why Im posting this into UT community)
*Base overview can be displayed through same engine, (top/down - isometric view of iconic facilities like in old X-COM (or actual: as in tactical view)
*For the start:
-There could be only one map with random insertion point (via APC or Dropship)
-Only few major base buildings that could be placed (a Hanger/a Store/a Personnel Quarters)
-Only one personnel outfit/weapon

Conceptual:
*Atmosphere design could be reffered to "Aliens" theme
*Equipment design can be reworked in some areas (armor/weapons)
*Base buildings can be taken from X-Com TFTD
*Fighter aircraft can be reworked (small interceptors cant fly that long time, a modified B1 can intercept UFOs)
*Dropship can be modified to an APC carrier, because landing a Dropship near to a crash site / or assault ufo incident is a real backdraw.. an APC can give both firepower and assault entry chance...

briefly this project can be converting the X-COM UFO defence to a higher resolution / closer look "remake" since Atari has bought copyright of X-COM and locked it down. (I COULD HAVE MY X-COM GENESIS if they didnt!!!!)

well if any coders/modellers there looking for a X-Com replica, may be we can gather around and work on something (since this kind of project will be a hell of a coding I dont think there will be much support....) pff my good'old X-Com is dead, may be its time to die!!! :rolleyes: