UDK UDK environment

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
I'm doing a lot of custom art for the map such as flowers, other plants, fish that swim around the water, a few insects, as well as a few other custom things such as the custom texture on the light rays. From the pics it looks much more boring than it does in motion as there is a ton of motion in the level. Ive done some pretty awesome stuff with the lighting that would have murdered UT3 in terms of performance but you can't see it in the screenshots :)

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
I'd love to get a video up but the last video I tried uploading to youtube just ended up looking like crap, very dark... Might try going with vimeo or somebody else...

Vimeo takes down gaming vids. We lost the CBP 3 trailer after a few days of it being on there if I recall.

Youtube does **** up gaming videos. When I made my video portfolio it looked great on my PC. Online it was not as clear. My suggestion, make the video and host the file directly. That's what I did, it will keep the video intact and not suffer from youtubes compression.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
I messed with things for quite a while and finally figured out my issue with videos turning out dark. I was recording things at 1920X1200 and I guess that aspect ratio isn't liked by youtube :p So I recorded in 1920X1080 and it worked fine. I know it was mentioned my video may be deleted on vimeo but after messing with both I am amazed at how much better quality vimeo offers than even a fully HD video on youtube :D

I will try and get a video uploaded on both youtube and vimeo with in the next hour :)

Last edited:

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
Looks really good. One of the few problems I noticed is that the animated shadows, while a nice touch, seem overly exaggerated. That must be some mighty wind to be moving those big tree branches/trunks that much (0:16 in the first video).

As a whole, I would be quite happy if my best work looked as good as your WIP.

HedgeMaster

May 3, 2009
Architecture looks amazing, however I find this green, foggy skybox pretty dull and unrealistic, doesn't match the whole. Make it clearer!

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I love the attention to detail. I lol'ed when the fish ate the Dragonfly. The dynamic shadow projections looks a bit harsh, but meh, overall everything is outstanding. It clearly proves that Ambient Occlusion and lightmass is a huge improvement for visuals.

Last edited:

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Yeah I was a bit bothered by the flickery shadows, if there's a way to increase the shadow detail level I'd do it. Otherwise I loved it, I loved how dynamic it was, great work!

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Looks really amazing (except for the dynamic shadows being a bit too obviously popping in and out)

The torches sound like a god damn bush fire tho xD Maybe take the volume back a notch.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Thanks :) The dynamic shadows were never meant to be that way, its just the default speedtree wind settings, will fix them up before releasing the map :) I don't think there is a way to increase the shadow detail. If there is it would probably hurt performance a ton anyway :(

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
I do love all the details you put in that maps. It's well constructed / animated & everything feel right. I also agreed that dynamic shadows aren't great but all the level look & feel so damn harmonious "all together" (sorry, my English need improvements lol...). Some aspect seem a tiny bit off but I presume it's caused by the vid & not from the level itself.

Both vids (vimeo / youtube) are showing good results in 1080. Still vimeo look a bit better imho. BTW, I would need to make some vids. I use X-fire but I don't know nothing about vimeo, can you indicate me where I can find more info please ?

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Its all really fantastic. My favorite part has to be the little critters and the sequence. Great job!

Last edited:

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
I do love all the details you put in that maps. It's well constructed / animated & everything feel right. I also agreed that dynamic shadows aren't great but all the level look & feel so damn harmonious "all together" (sorry, my English need improvements lol...). Some aspect seem a tiny bit off but I presume it's caused by the vid & not from the level itself.

Both vids (vimeo / youtube) are showing good results in 1080. Still vimeo look a bit better imho. BTW, I would need to make some vids. I use X-fire but I don't know nothing about vimeo, can you indicate me where I can find more info please ?

I use fraps to record all my videos.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
A few more screenshots of the level. It is currently 85% finished.
[SCREENSHOT]http://evilmrfrank.com/images/DM-Primal_Final3.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://evilmrfrank.com/images/UDKLevelShot2.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://evilmrfrank.com/images/DM-Primal_Final2.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Last edited: