Unreal Evolution for UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Today I've decided to start organizing an Unreal remake for UT3 that I'm (tentatively) calling Unreal Evolution.

Obviously, this is an enormous project to undertake, so I've decided it should probably be done in small sections and released in sections as well.

I'm planning to support level streaming, co-op, and lots of other things as well.

To do this, I'm going to need a lot of content authors. The code will probably be fairly straight forward, but there is a lot of content to make. As an introductory pass I want to remake NyLeve's Falls (it's the first complex map) in UT3.

If you want to help, let me know. We mostly need modelers, texture artists, skinners, animators but we can also use the help of coders and mappers (we have some mappers). Drop me a PM with an example of something you've made before possibly if you are at all interested.

Hope to see some positive response!

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Splendid idea, I really like it. I must finish the Unreal mod for UT2k4 I have installed. Basically it's the Unreal beta with some non-linear gameplay. It feels non-linear because some things are in a different order, but they might be linear anyway. To find out I have to try to complete the maps in another way.

Will you do the beta or the original game?

Will you bring everything to the quality standards of UE3 while keeping the game essentially the same?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Will you bring everything to the quality standards of UE3 while keeping the game essentially the same?
That's the plan. Not sure what "version" of the game we'll base it on.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
I'd hope so... we certainly don't want it brought to the quality standards of UT3.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
I could translate the original music into the current dynamic system. MP doesn't do it much justice, imo it would shine in SP. If this was an original Unreal inspired SP I would gladly offer up originals. I'm not very interested in rewriting or remixing Unreal music since the general response from this would be "I like the original better", which I understand.

jasposfagot

My opinion is My opinion, Yours is Yours
May 22, 2005
Failboat.jpg

It would be much more fitting to remake Unreal2 than Unreal, as UE3 seems to be pumping out the fail on the PC, UT3, GOW, etc, etc, so remaking another fail, Unreal2, makes sense.

Either way, I really don't think this will get far, if it even gets off the ground for starters, but if you are going to give something a try, why not go original, lot more work, but may appeal to more people, and there really isn't that many people left to choose from these days.

I see it a bit like this,

Fail-Urinal-2.jpg

unless you have more than 1 penis of course.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yes! A thread in the UT3 forum, let's bag on it :rolleyes: give it up, fools.

This would interest a lot of people, and it would get people to buy UT3 for sure. I don't care if it gets them online, doing something like this would hopefully improve the community.

I don't want to go original. I'd have to recreate even more assets, do something that would interest people (this implicitly interests people, while my idea may not), and come up with end to end design whereas in this case the design itself is already done.

So you go right ahead and continue whining about UT3 instead of trying to do something about it. Good work.

Apr 11, 2006
I think if there's sufficient time and desire someone will probably make their own new stuff with the content. "Bonus levels" or what have you.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I for one love the idea, and wish you the best of luck.

One question though, are you planning to make it work with mutators? Olskool Amped (UT) did that and i must say it was good, gave me reason to play it many times with a different twist.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
I think that the idea is great:

That would be awsome

I'd happily do whatever I could to help

But, what is the purpose of this thread? Is it to recruit people, to plan the mod, or just to find out what people think about the idea? I just think that you need to be clear what stage of developement you at if you want this to be successful.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
That's a very ambitious idea. I hope it will get the needed attention/interest. Not trying to sound negative, but how realistic is this. But if you don't give it a try, you'll never know what might/could have been...right.

Good luck, I'm sure many would like seeing this become reality.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
But, what is the purpose of this thread? Is it to recruit people, to plan the mod, or just to find out what people think about the idea? I just think that you need to be clear what stage of developement you at if you want this to be successful.
Recruiting and to see what people think. So far there has been a lot of positive response.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
sounds like a good idea. I hope that the project will actually get some things done instead of having "yeah, we'll do this this and this" and finally it's dropped when they realize the huge task that is demanded.