Why the low UT3 adoption?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
If you want to see some good netcode, check out HoN...
Still have no idea how they do it. With 400 ping I'm able to throw a javelin with minimal delay.
With 250 it feels like you playing on a LAN

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I play that as well. If you're interested in checking it out, give me an email and I'll send you a beta invite.

And he's right, their netcode must have gained some kind of lag compensation since Savage 2 (same engine, click link in sig for info, fun game) because no matter your ping, the gameplay is smooth and responsive.

Last edited:

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
I've been pretty pleased with HoN, but seriously, it is much easier to deal with lag in an RTS type of game than in an FPS. For the most part aiming has nothing to do with it. You click on a spell, then click on an enemy, and he's hit. When you are looking down at units, lag isn't as noticeable as when your point of view is changing with your character. In HoN when things get laggy, game play gets choppy like you have an extremely low framerate. Just think about that if you were in first person view... your position jumping along every quarter second would look horrible! UT3's guesses at object location on client side and occasional corrections from the server is better. I for one find UT3's experience online better than TF2 though it seems not everyone agrees. Under even slight lag i can't hit anything with the sniper in TF2.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Plus in an isometric game it's just easier to fake. Since every hit is a "guarantee" (or a static calculation perhaps based on random rules) you can easily do it on the client side in many cases with no ill effects or desyncing with the server (which would explain the appearance of dropped frames).

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Some things in HoN do need to be aimed, though the level of precision required isn't anywhere near what you need to aim a gun in an FPS

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Why low uptake?

Because Deathmatch is too difficult for novice players, CTF was full of aimbots and there was no cheat protection or way to ban antisocial or lame players, leaving War as the only way to get the game established.

War failed because all the maps are chokepoints - so if there are players that are too good for you, in ut2004, you could go to another bit of the map. In ut3, you will get fragged over and over, for this round, and the next map, and the next map after that since the teams are not balanced or randomised either.

In a nutshell, Epic thought they knew best, ignored everything that the commnity had done to improve ut2004 (team balancing, very big ONS maps, team randomisation) and dumbed it down. They thought their niche was people who want in your face gore.

The actual ut2004 players were fans of an an in depth, intelligent, high learning curve difficult game that takes a lot of practice and mastery.

They made the same difficult high learning curve game but with no tutorial, and gave it an in your face, gansta front end. It is that essential incongruity that broke the game, and all the sub decisions that derived from that initial and wrong creative direction.

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
They made the same difficult high learning curve game but with no tutorial
UT3 doesn't have a high learning curve, and the first few missions of the campaign serve as a tutorial.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
UT3 doesn't have a high learning curve, and the first few missions of the campaign serve as a tutorial.
Yes it does.

Even I had to do some rather serious adjusting to UT3 before I got to a level I felt I could be of use to my team. People who are just jumping into the game get completely blown away by me or anyone else who've already adapted to it and know how to play it.

The campaign my help a bit, but it still doesn't prepare players for online matches.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yes it does.

Even I had to do some rather serious adjusting to UT3 before I got to a level I felt I could be of use to my team. People who are just jumping into the game get completely blown away by me or anyone else who've already adapted to it and know how to play it.

The campaign my help a bit, but it still doesn't prepare players for online matches.
I think he must have meant compared to UT2004, since UT2004 was "newbs get 0 kills" whereas UT3 is "newbs get 2 kills".

Plus, I think just learning the overall game mechanics is easier in UT3 because you don't have to deal with people that can avoid every single shot you take at them.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
pull up, hop out all in one motion, dance on the hood while the car's still rollin

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Sir_Brizz said:
I think he must have meant compared to UT2004, since UT2004 was "newbs get 0 kills" whereas UT3 is "newbs get 2 kills".
They prefer UT2004 because they survive longer

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
I still remember my 1st online match for UT3.

I bought it the first morning it was out in Germany and went online around 11AM, because I thought those other players online must be the hardcore players. I was wrong.

There were 5 players on Deck and the leading player had 18 or 19 frags (goalscore was 25). I won and within these 2 minutes 3 of the lower scoring players left.

And no, I am not that good of a player... ...so much for longer surviving in UT3 when you are new.

The long surviving in UT2k4 fits gametypes like TAM and FREON* and is IMHO better for gametypes like ONS/WAR.

BUt EPIC already showed they don't know much about the UT franchise's gameplay anymore when they released the ECE.

*) One reason the became so popular in UT2k4.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I always forget that the game came out in Germany a week earlier than everywhere else. WTF was the point of that?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
German version = green blood etc. Maybe they speculated on disappointed customers buying the international version without giving back the German version, i.e. double profit.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
With Epics talk about classes and customizable character I had hoped for something like.

Light class ut2k3 mobility but carries less ammo and armor
Medium class UT mobility default ammo and armor
Heavy class UT3 mobility extra ammo, health and armor

Custom character, ability to fine tune character to your own personal playing style.

And default symetric pickups for the pro gamers.