Textures are rendering poorly.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheArtfulDodger

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
Textures that render properly with the UT2003 Editor appear in the Runtime Editor and in Runtime Player to have large blotchy patches.

I've considered a possible problem with my textures but the "GreySkin" texture which is native to the Runtime editor also appears blotchy.

I tried adjusting lights even running with ambient light only, but the problem persits.

Full bright renders the textures clean with no artifacts.

Vito

Mar 18, 2002
TheArtfulDodger said:
I've considered a possible problem with my textures but the "GreySkin" texture which is native to the Runtime editor also appears blotchy.

What video card are you using? Have you upgraded to the latest drivers? Have you tried not using DXT1 and using DXT3 or 5 instead?

It sounds like you're using an older video card with a DXT1 rendering bug.

TheArtfulDodger

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
Thank you for your input Vito.

You were right about the problem being the video card.
It's was a Radeon 9000 series 128mb with the latest drivers and directx9,
however it has given me problems before, it's time to replace it.

I'm looking forward to the non-game licenses and hope I can afford to get one.

rodrigoelp

Feb 1, 2004
Directx have some problems with the newest video cards cuz try to implement some "card code supported" to speed up the performance of the software...

http://udn.epicgames.com/Content/TextureSpecifications

Radeon and Nvidea use opengl in its video card, if you are having problems with your software and you can change the video driver (used in the software) to opengl, then do it ;) ... your card is just fine... (but hey!, if you have money to buy a brand new one, would be not bad)

oneirotekt

Aug 24, 2003
Actually, if you're using those textures in a level, and the lightmap is set to DXT1 or DXT3 with Dithering (check the lightmap section in the build options) that might explain the blotches... dithered DXT1 lightmaps can look pretty assy, so try RGBA8 and do light rebuild. If it's not that, it might indeed be something hardware related.

Mayaboy

Mayaboy
May 30, 2004
www.mesoamerican-archives.com
oneirotekt said:
Actually, if you're using those textures in a level, and the lightmap is set to DXT1 or DXT3 with Dithering (check the lightmap section in the build options) that might explain the blotches... dithered DXT1 lightmaps can look pretty assy, so try RGBA8 and do light rebuild. If it's not that, it might indeed be something hardware related.

Had the same problem, and this works like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

-MB