Elder Scrolls: Skyrim [DARGONS EDITION]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Okay, so I've decided to take a break for all the sidequests and progress the main plot a bit. I've only just now spoken to Paarthurax and damn, it was awesome. He mindfucked me a bit and added a lot of depth to the story. I'm just absolutely in love with this game right now.

Also, I got a chuckle out of seeing this on my way there:
[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/Dm5Gz.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

I had a weird bug where halfway through out dialog he just skyrocketed into the air and spun around until the dialog was done - had to turn on subtitles to know what the hell he was saying.. lol.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I got on top of the Throat of the World without that shout.
Horse don't give a shit too.

I went there in literally the first 20 minutes of playing, without a horse. Right when that first scripted castle dragon attack was over, I walked straight toward the top of the mountain. Got notched pickaxe at level 1... :lol:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Isn't Top of the World where High Hrothgar is? I walked right up there...

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Throat of the World is technically the entire peak. Yeah you can get to Hrothgar fine, but to go higher to the very top of the peak that's also called "Throat of the World", you're supposed to use a specific shout to clear the way.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
I just bought this game. So far it seems to be comprised 85% of the kinds of places I deliberately avoided in Oblivion (iced up mountain caps, monotonous steppes, scrub land).

Where in Skyrim can I find nice green forests like the Great Forest/Chorrol region in Oblivion?

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
It's uh... Skyrim. The nordic province of the continent of Tamriel. There will be mostly snow.
Most forests are in Whiterun Hold (Region of Whiterun), The Rift (Region of Riften) and Falkreath Hold (Region of Falkreath), with Falkreath having most of what you are looking for.
But yeah, it's Skyrim. This ain't Cyrodiil anymore.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Avoiding these places in Oblivion was pretty easy to do and also who cares because they were mostly terrible.

In Skyrim they are awesome. The vistas alone are worth the climbs.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
In Skyrim they are awesome. The vistas alone are worth the climbs.

Um, I hate to say it but the vistas in Skyrim are much like they were in Oblivion; masses of incompletely rendered blobs floating in a green-yellow soup. Only this time it's partially obscured with fog.

Last edited:

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Finally hit level 10 and decided to do some side quests etc and am enjoying it so far. I never got in to Oblivion etc.

It seems once you hit level 10 the dragon encounters start (away from the main story) which has made running between places more fun than running from the odd giant.

Think I'm going to take on some more Misc. quests once I have furnished my house and can store loads of crap.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Um, I hate to say it but the vistas in Skyrim are much like they were in Oblivion; masses of incompletely rendered blobs floating in a green-yellow soup. Only this time it's partially obscured with fog.
um, I hate to say it but you're completely wrong.
either you're playing the game with low graphics settings or you're partially blind; it's one or the other.

[SCREENSHOT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Slainchild/778694f9.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Slainchild/7900d558.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Slainchild/53edd5be.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/Slainchild/c9f85a7f.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

"incompletely rendered blobs floating in a green-yellow soup"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Google screenshots of Oblivion and say that Skyrim doesn't look better. I didn't feel Skyrim looked that much better at first, but then I went back and played Oblivion and realized I just remember Oblivion looking amazing.

It's pretty impressive considering Skyrim was made to push the same console hardware that Oblivion was.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
um, I hate to say it but you're completely wrong.
either you're playing the game with low graphics settings or you're partially blind; it's one or the other.
"incompletely rendered blobs floating in a green-yellow soup"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, very convenient shots, but Skyrim suffers from exactly the same issue as Oblivion: massively inconsistent visuals. You can set up the most stunning frame and then turn 180° and be looking at a rather hideous piece of landscape. I could take a hundred captures proving that Skyrim is the best looking game, and that it is the worst. What matters is consistency in-game, and whilst it is a bit more consistent than Oblivion, it still looks like rubbish a lot of the time.

And you didn't choose very good shots to support your argument, they kind of reinforce what I said about that foggy haze being used to mask imperfections.

I saw that third shot before I purchased the game and my first though was that it looked really good. But then I clicked on it and in full size an it wasn't nearly so impressive.

At least they fixed they've fixed the stuttering issue that rendered Oblivion nigh on unbearable, and provided a more reliable means of AA than forcing via NVIDIA's lousy CP.

It's pretty impressive considering Skyrim was made to push the same console hardware that Oblivion was.

There is nothing impressive about this kind of technological stagnation.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Sorry.... but is there a game that looks better?

I mean, you're right. You can get to White Water Watch Overlook and look down at Whiterun and it doesn't look like the best thing ever, but you're also looking down on what would be thousands of highly detailed rendered objects if it DID look good.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I think that yeah, there are games that look better, but they are all looking better on smaller scales. Like BF3 or Crysis, you can look at individual textures in MASSIVE environments and say that they don't look as great as they could, and it's true, but it's also missing the point by a lightyear.