Unreal Cascade: An Introduction - Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
A brand new UE3 DVD tutorial is available for purchase at Eat3D. This one deals with the cascade interface.

In this demonstration the instructor starts off by going over the entire cascade interface and then through most of the common modules. Once the foundation is laid it's on to creating several effects from scratch. Everything from creating an explosion, hit effects, water drips, laser beams, and trailes are covered.

If you have never used cascade you should be able to follow along and understand. Even if you are experienced using cascade, you should pick up useful information throughout the DVD.

About the Instructor:

Bryan Erck has worked in the video game industry for over 10 years and has shipped 15 titles. Some of those titles are, "Star Wars Ep1: Racer", "Gladius", "Matrix: Path of Neo" and "Blacksite: Area 51". Bryan started in the video game industry in QA at LucasArts when he was 19 years old and from there he became a Technical Artist and then has been doing in game special effects for the last six years.

Bryan is currently the Lead Visual Effects Artist at BioWare working on Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Maybe I'm the only who thinks so but I feel like modding in general feels so... commercialized now. No more those times when everyone did it to actually make a good game (in this case, mod), not to get a head of competition (but I'm not speaking against Make Something Unreal here). Before the same people who used to make mods were players. Right now, modders never even play the game they're building their content over or is that one point of modding?

Last edited:

Riki

Apr 8, 2008
I think the answer to that could get complicated but a lot of people want to be able to make games (or content for games) as their primary job and not just for fun at night and on the weekends.

Having said that there are probably a lot of people who enjoy just doing it as a hobby without any desire to make money and have the time to learn everything by trial and error and then release that knowledge for free. Those kinds of people keep the mod community strong.

As an artist and not a modder, Id like to say that UE3 for me is a tool for creating art and not games, so there are a lot of different people out there.

Also with UDK now available, anyone can make a full game for very cheap, and professional training from someone like Eat 3D can help those people get up to speed fast.

Just some rambling thoughts.