UT99 & 2K4 Map Remakes / Conversions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
What maps would you guys like to see brought forward to UT3? There are some maps that i'm amazed haven't been brought forward.

There's absolutely nothing amazing about it at all. UT3 is a dead game. Upon its release it was a stillborn. Custom map-makers are not going to come out in mass to produce maps for a dead game.

I have a remake of my best UT99 CTF map sitting on the cutting room floor of the UT3 editor. It's all cut out and mostly textured, but I completely lost all interest in making UT3 maps once I realized, a few months after its release, that the game was dead and that Epic had no interest in acknowledging nor fixing the game's fundamental problems.

The best thing Unreal Tournament fans can do is to vote with their feet. Reject the consolized UT3 and play the original UT99 or the respectable UT 2004. All we can try to do is to keep those two games alive with our personal contributions to their player counts as long as we can.

LordFarqWad

Dec 16, 2009
I have a remake of my best UT99 CTF map sitting on the cutting room floor of the UT3 editor. It's all cut out and mostly textured

It's not that one in the screen shot in your sig is it? If so do us all a favor and leave it on the cutting room floor :lol: for dead.

As far as your other statement that UT3 is dead.... that is a funny statement I think it doesn't have the following that it once had but there is still a huge following. I see numerous mappers and modders out there working on good stuff.
You just have to look.

alex904

Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for CTF-Football port. Very close to the original.
I wish somebody did a port of CTF-Bridge. ;)

1x.

UT99 Instagib 'ladder' champion
Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
Thanks for CTF-Football port. Very close to the original.
I wish somebody did a port of CTF-Bridge. ;)

Glad you like CTF-FootBall alex904 :)

Thx for the compliment and for taking time to post on the Epic forums too, appreciate it.

Last edited:

1x.

Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
By proper you mean well done ala ut HOLP style? or fully meshed UT3 style?

And yeah, I loved zeto too, though I think it wouldn't work that well on UT3, just a thought

Hiya Ignotium.

IMO there is a place in the middle between HOLP & MESHzilla

So to me when someone says proper it could mean many different things, such as good lighting, good texture work, good custom content, trimmed well, not super plain or unfinished but not overkill, etc.

I prefer BSP and then mesh trim - it seems most many people actually like this style, i think sometimes people went very far in the direction of HOLP because Epic had gone too far in the direction of meshing maps to death and dropping out the quality in other important areas. There is a balance IMO. ;) BTW, i'm a big fan of HOLP.

You'll see when some of my other maps make final, i believe i've actually found a nice balance on some of my WIP.

alex904

Feb 24, 2006
Glad you like CTF-FootBall alex904 :)

Thx for the compliment and for taking time to post on the Epic forums too, appreciate it.
No problem. I fully understand the scope of the work. I once tried to build maps myself back in UT99, none of them was released publicly. :)
As for CTF-Football. It used to be our clan's signature map and we loved to play it, knew it inside and out. Here's a bit messy gallery of screenshots with us playing it in matches and scrims:
http://pictures2.com/gallery3/index.php/Sreen-Shots/Football
One suggestion regarding the map. I would reduce color saturation of walls and the field. They're probably as bright and saturated as it was done in UT2k4 port, but UT99 map was less colorful, which is a good thing to my opinion. Less colors = better visibility.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
33vg0g1.jpg

:D

1x.

Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
No problem. I fully understand the scope of the work. I once tried to build maps myself back in UT99, none of them was released publicly. :)
As for CTF-Football. It used to be our clan's signature map and we loved to play it, knew it inside and out. Here's a bit messy gallery of screenshots with us playing it in matches and scrims:
http://pictures2.com/gallery3/index.php/Sreen-Shots/Football
One suggestion regarding the map. I would reduce color saturation of walls and the field. They're probably as bright and saturated as it was done in UT2k4 port, but UT99 map was less colorful, which is a good thing to my opinion. Less colors = better visibility.

Hey thanks for posting the links to your screenshots, i looked through those, i wonder if that was the same clan bAd i think it might be. As far as the color saturation, (i know what you mean however) you have to make some compromises with UT3 for flow, what worked for UT99 doesn't always for the newer engine, as far as the 2k4 version i was never happy with the visuals on that, i think the UT99 and mine have the right stuff.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
2wno3tt.jpg

Some of the progress I've made so far.

ATM I'm hard at work with the meshes, modeling pretty much everything in 3DS, HNY :D

alex904

Feb 24, 2006
i wonder if that was the same clan bAd i think it might be. As far as the color saturation, (i know what you mean however) you have to make some compromises with UT3 for flow
Flow is there I believe, though in map feels somewhat smaller in LowGrav. I understand that colors are more like state of personal preferences, but my strong opinion is that good map should not use saturated colors.
Not sure if it's related to map itself, but it seems that our server got stuck at CTF-Football few times after game ended and people left. New people could join the server but could not change map. Also couple times when server traveled to Football, it just got stuck in loading cycle. It showed the map, but did not want to start game. Server did not crash. Might be a server bug, but since it happened on Football, I would double check that. Our server ip is 68.232.162.13:7777. Thanks!

1x.

Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
Some of the progress I've made so far.

ATM I'm hard at work with the meshes, modeling pretty much everything in 3DS, HNY :D

I went ahead and updated the initial post and put your name under Zeto ..

Appreciate you stepping forward on this buddy, very kewl indeed. (double thumbs up dude you the man) :)

1x.

Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
Flow is there I believe, though in map feels somewhat smaller in LowGrav. I understand that colors are more like state of personal preferences, but my strong opinion is that good map should not use saturated colors.
Not sure if it's related to map itself, but it seems that our server got stuck at CTF-Football few times after game ended and people left. New people could join the server but could not change map. Also couple times when server traveled to Football, it just got stuck in loading cycle. It showed the map, but did not want to start game. Server did not crash. Might be a server bug, but since it happened on Football, I would double check that. Our server ip is 68.232.162.13:7777. Thanks!

I have the same issue with my server with non-retail maps hanging at the start, they won't let people click in and they won't let players move, it's usually worse when i initially install a new map because the server hangs building the shader cache. Keep on eye on this if there is something we can pin-point or a consistent problem then we'll get it fixed, if you have bugs or comments regarding gameplay i'd appreciate it if you'd post them in the official Football thread (link is in my sig as you know) - trying to keep this thread on track. ;)

Once thx for the comments, here is the thing, i didn't want to over-scale the map because so many people seemed to have had that issue with UT2KX (ridiculously over-scaled maps) so i tried to get it as close to the UT99 scale as possible, it might be scaled a tad smaller or it might have to do with the physics, speed, and gravity of UT3, not sure. Going back to the color, 99% of the textures in the map are custom and it has a very metallic / concrete look to it, less color might have worked well in UT99 but i couldn't make it work to a level of satisfaction in this engine i put a good effort into it believe me, all things considered i appreciate your feedback and i'm glad to have found someone who consider one of my maps their signature clan match map. - That alone makes all of my hours worth while. I also have a day job so the only pay for this hobby/work is the thanks. ;)

I'll check out your server thx for the info. (perhaps you can provide the server info in the official thread when you have time, - lets keep an eye on the hang issue - OK?)

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
It's not that one in the screen shot in your sig is it? If so do us all a favor and leave it on the cutting room floor :lol: for dead.

I was working on a remake of Pussywhipped. It's been played in 5v5 pug matches before. It's a fast-paced clan ladder-grade map that would have been a hit had it been released in 2000 and not 2006. You can find screenshots here:

http://whippersnapper.unrealmaps.net/Pussywhipped.html

The one in the sig, DagnysBigAssMap-V2, was on the world's most popular regular weapons custom map CTF server and survived being voted off for over a year (which is no small feat). It has been played in 5v5 pug matches and often resulted in good games that went into OT ending with scores of 3-2 or 4-3. You can find screenshots here:

http://whippersnapper.unrealmaps.net/DBAMv2.html

Main mapper webpage is here:

http://whippersnapper.unrealmaps.net

Last edited: