Those funkay coronas

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ThreeDee

Resident Foo'
Nov 15, 2000
Canada
tbns.net
Well I finally finished the original Unreal game =P and I came out of it wondering how the heck those amazing coronas were accomplished. Yes, I'm well versed in how to do basic ones; what I'm talking about is having them fade from dim orange to bright white as you approach them. Is it a trick with mipmaps, or what?

ThreeDee

Resident Foo'
Nov 15, 2000
Canada
tbns.net
Thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question. Like I said, I already know how to make coronas, I was wondering how to make them change as you approach them.

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
:noitacoL
Detail textures only affect the brightness, not the color.
It might also have been done with volumetric lighting of some sort... have two lights, one for the corona and one for the "orangeness". The corona is pure white, but the light isn't too bright, which doesn't affect the corona. The orange light is volumetric, meaning that the closer you get to the light, the less "orange space" is between you and the light, making it orange from a distance, but white from close up.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
ThreeDee could you mention a level for example...I'm not sure about the thing you mentioned but I could make things clear if you could point me to the effect...

ThreeDee

Resident Foo'
Nov 15, 2000
Canada
tbns.net
The effect was used in almost all the levels, but one that I'm completely sure of is the very beginnning of "Nali Castle". It's just to the right of the pool of water and just to the left of the opening that leads to the castle.

For some reason I can't open Unreal 1 levels in UED2.. I just come up with a blank map.

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
:noitacoL
That's because you don't have the Unreal music in your UT music directory... copy them over to be able to open the levels, and it's safer to copy the levels over too, because otherwise it will crash if you try to play it from UnrealEd.

aspie

It's all good baby.
Feb 24, 2001
Australia
I finally bought unreal on the weekend, (just entering isv kran). It has the best single player gameplay i've ever played. I wish i had bought it earlier and could've got in on the singleplayer map scene (hopefully this will return with U2 or UW).

I'm not entirely sure what is going on but if you look in the GenFX.utx file theres a corona lensflare which is white in the middle and orange on the outside.