Unreal 95 / 97 Alpha Research

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
What do you mean, he "still" can? :p As long as there are alpha/beta items somewhere out there, the answer to that question can be only one:

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W7c8QghPxk[/M]

:lol:

[]KAOS[]Casey

227 dev
May 17, 2009
California
www.klankaos.com
What I was saying was I didn't think it was possible to find even more undiscovered stuff, Epic themselves lost the src to the 225f build, they presume it was overwritten with the horrifying 226f, yet, we can find ancient and previously unknown stuff... repeatedly? The fuck?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Holy shit
damn

Gargolye is so beast

Also I want to know if somebody managed to recognize that reptile-like monster shown in the Crypt package (C_Sarc5). Looks like a Skaarj turtle.

Last edited:

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
My face when I saw all this stuff the first time.....

It turns out development for Unreal probably did not even begin till 1994, in this X-COM package with the Unreal Alpha content came some executable called ED2.exe, it appears to be an early model/polygon editor made for dos. The Alpha-era Male model seems to date back to 1994.

There was some early Unreal Tournament stuff as well but whether that belongs in this topic or not is beyond me (I'm guessing no) If enough people ask for it I'll upload screenshots of stuff.

hogsy

Dec 5, 2011
Trocara
hogsy.me
My face when I saw all this stuff the first time.....

It turns out development for Unreal probably did not even begin till 1994, in this X-COM package with the Unreal Alpha content came some executable called ED2.exe, it appears to be an early model/polygon editor made for dos. The Alpha-era Male model seems to date back to 1994.

There was some early Unreal Tournament stuff as well but whether that belongs in this topic or not is beyond me (I'm guessing no) If enough people ask for it I'll upload screenshots of stuff.

I'd love to see some screenshots please ;)

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I don't know if Delacroix received this message, but I found also complete uscript code from August-September 1997 of Unreal. Has impaler and stunner code as well, but some stuff is already missing, dragon was cut from that version for example and etc etc. Nothing else seems to exist though from that related to Unreal. Wish there was the full build of that recovered.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Well if some of those things are still somewhere, then:

Q: Can we recover them?
A:

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W7c8QghPxk[/M]

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
Every model has been exported, here's what I've determined

The Automag will probably replace turboman's version, the animations fit the alpha screenshots exactly as well as the uv maps (hand texture was included too, fits right on)

The Eel and automag are the only models that will be left untouched, everything else is getting new animations.

Minotaur work as commenced about 5 minutes ago, more updates to come

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Every model has been exported, here's what I've determined

The Automag will probably replace turboman's version, the animations fit the alpha screenshots exactly as well as the uv maps (hand texture was included too, fits right on)

The Eel and automag are the only models that will be left untouched, everything else is getting new animations.

Minotaur work as commenced about 5 minutes ago, more updates to come

Good to hear! What's the problem with the old animations? The

Which model is the Automag? aniv40.3D looks kinda of like it, but it's too blocky to be an Automag.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Animations are sometimes nonexistent, sometimes they're more of a joke.

Ah. That makes sense.

Have you guys run the "ED.BAT" file when browsing models? It adds textures to certain models. Most of them don't fit it all, but there are some where the texture seems to fit, like A14 uses TEXTURE3 and TEXTURE7 well, while the strange-looking face on the Dragon leg texture sheet fits the Wizard/Priest perfectly.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
So the Skaarj Eel is a completely different creature. Thought it was an early version of the Slith.

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
The minotaur

minotaur1.png

Variant 2

minotaur1b.png

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
This is my rundown of the stuff, analysis:

A=automag it seems?
DATAT-v=maybe saw? missing aniv file so it messes up, hard to tell, tried using aniv00
DATAP=sprite-scocne, whatever
56=flame
42=Tentacle-only swinging anim here, again different from 97
41=Devilfish
40=weapon(no idea what this is, looks a bit similar to biorifle but it isn't biorifle, maybe flamethrower as delacroix says)
39=some branch with leaves, don't think this is in unreal
38=Health pickup
37=exists in unreal, one of the torches, nothing special
36=Armor
Data35=automag clip
Data33=skaarj mask-skull
Data32=newvase
Data30-31=WHAT THE FUCK I DONT EVEN- hanging lamps maybe
29=Manta(has only the flying anims, this was used for the manta demo presentation video)
Data28=Gasbag
Data27=some torch
Data26=automag pickup
data25,09, 12, 34, 43 vertex error
25 quadshotpickup 34 shells?
Data23-24=Blade
Data22=Automag first person
Data21=Eel-stingray
DATA20=Quadshot(has aditional anim, perhaps it is third person mesh? Since it would go well with player looking around but not sure, maybe its just first person feature)
DATA19=Weapon(has blade like thing, looks like impact hammer with bigass blade in the end)
Data18=Weapon (not sure which one, seems like pistol, maybe old automag or soething else)
Data17=SkaarjHunter
Data16=Bigman(different anims than 97 one)
Data15=Minotaur2
Data14=MaleOne
Data13=Wizard?
DATA11=woman
DATA10=Gargoyle
Data8=Pegasus
Data7=Minotaur
Data6=Dragon
Data4-5=golem
Data1-3=effects, sprite stuff

EDIT: Data 12 is apparently some half dog, this pic was taken by Gizzy.

[SCREENSHOT]http://i40.tinypic.com/24w7bc7.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Gizzy's report here:
http://pastebin.com/ZxLhyCXN

Last edited:

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
It's a shame about the Krall's UV maps. That model would have been perfect for rigging/animating a skeletal krall.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Oh wow the Gasbag is old. Pretty expected since it's probably the most "fantasy"-like creature in Unreal. How the Skaarj Eel looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.