New UT Demo Viewer!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
When is somebody going to take on this challenge. I mean comon. Haven't all of you demo-viewers had enough of the UT viewer? :mad:
- If you start the demo from 1stperson you can only watch the player that recorded.
- If you start the demo from 3rdperson, when you watch someone other than the recorder, after a while he disappears. Also, you don't see the messages.
- You cannot Pause, FF or RW the demo.
- You cannot cut out pieces and save them as a new file.
- You can't see ammo or armor on the player viewed in 1stperson.
- You can't see the scoreboard on a server-side demo (!!:rolleyes:!!)

[/rant]

PS: for the speccers out there this allows you to spectate in 1stperson view (good for spotting the aimbots).

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Arrg, you fooled me there, Pope. :stick:
I thought you had find a new 1337 demoviewer.

I really hope someone can come up with a viewer you described.
Maybe we should have a contest? Get someone to sponsor a price for the best UT Demoviewer?

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
i thought usaar had made a demo viewer that seemed to work pretty well. i couldn't get any demo to work on it however. but there are alternatives for the standard UT demo viewer.

as for rewinding, i think it's impossible. as far as i know (which is not that far :)) it uses control points sequentially or something, so it would be impossible for a demo to roll back. anyone who actually knows what he's talking about is free to correct me. :)

SU3000

Bringer of Fear and 0wnage
Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
my comments in bold.

- If you start the demo from 1stperson you can only watch the player that recorded.

you could use the ?3rdperson option (see next point)

- If you start the demo from 3rdperson, when you watch someone other than the recorder, after a while he disappears.

That is because for some reason demos 'forget' to record people outside of a certain range (I think visual+ something)

Also, you don't see the messages.

has to do with the same thing as serverside demos

- You cannot Pause, FF or RW the demo.

I think because a demo is about the same as connecting to server & playing a game, you can't rewind or ff a game either

- You cannot cut out pieces and save them as a new file.

see previous point

if it is an in eye demo you should be able to see armour & ammo, but I may be wrong here

- You can't see the scoreboard on a server-side demo (!!:rolleyes:!!)

see point about the messages. I use the reporterbot to connect to irc and view the scores there ..

Now, all we have to do is wait for usaar33 to explain other stuff I might have missed :).

XeneX

Volatile
Aug 21, 2000
Swindon, Wiltshire
Re: Re: New UT Demo Viewer!!

This is server-side. It can't be fixed by the client

Boogey

Talvin Singh fanboy
Aug 31, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by gramps
as for rewinding, i think it's impossible. as far as i know (which is not that far :)) it uses control points sequentially or something, so it would be impossible for a demo to roll back. anyone who actually knows what he's talking about is free to correct me. :)

Sounds pretty plausible. Afaik u can consider a demo a starting point and alterations over time. And the logic in ut can't "reverse" all the functions performed on the objects, so rewind isn't exactly straight forward (nu pun intended). FF however should be pretty basic. Chew through a variable (FF speed) function calls without rendering. CPU power plays a factor here as all the non-rendering calls in the demo file have to be performed - u can't skip anything. The pause function should be a piece of cake.

A sort of "rewind" COULD be done by always starting from scratch and FF'ing to the position desired which lies before the current position. So the command could be like "go back XXX frames".

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
Pretty logical that Boogey.
I wouldn't mind just pause and ff. And if there was a timing mechanism you could always tell someone to watch after a certain amount of time so as to skip the boring bits.