Graphics Card

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkey

dead
Aug 7, 2004
I dont know. :(
If you didn't know my computer burst into flames several months ago leaving me with no computer until now. I'm using my friends rental comp and its got some ProSavage 64mb video card. I want to know whats a good cheap card that I can get to hold me off till I save up for my new computer? Right now in XMP I'm getting 2-10fps.

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
According to the blurbs in the (mostly German) Google results, the ProSavage is integrated in the mobo. You'll need to get a PCI card and disable the ProSavage. What do you consider "cheap"? Because you can get a (crap) FX5200 128mb for about $50, or a (slightly less crap) Radeon 9250 for the same. You could also get an FX5700 for $80-100. These are newegg prices. I thought the Radeon 9600 used to be available in PCI, but can't find one...

chipmunk

(NBK-Daft)
Nov 26, 2003
MA
www.clan-nbk.com
i just picked up a radeon 9550 from compusa for $100 USD ($120 with $20 rebate). it's good enough for me (20-40 fps in doom3, 50+ in XMP). i'm sure they could be found cheaper online.

also, it might be possible to get an AGP card as long as you disable the integrated stuff in windows. i'm pretty sure the 9550 comes in both AGP and PCI. just read up on your motherboard to make sure which one you can use, if not both.

Last edited:

GotBeer?

Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Yeah, I'm assuming that since the ProSavage is integrated (another assumption!) there is no AGP slot on the mobo. I haven't messed with many mobos w/video (1 Dell, 1 from local computer shop), so I can't really say if any have AGP or not.

Tenacity

noob for life
Aug 18, 2004
I've got a geforce2 mx 440 pci laying around... I think it would be perfect for you. Oh btw we were all told that you were dead. :mad:

...and to think ... all those wasted tears. :(

Well anyway post your address and I will deliver
that card to you personally ...k? ;)

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
If you prefer nVidia, look for the GeForce4 Ti 4800 cards. You can get them for <$100 now, and they're still pretty solid cards.

BTW, yes, it's possible to have on-board video with an available AGP slot. I had a compaq that was like that.

Also, I'm curious in how your PC "burst into flames." Faulty wiring?

GotBeer?

Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Renegade Retard said:
Also, I'm curious in how your PC "burst into flames." Faulty wiring?
Jet powered?

Probably never cleaned it out, and the 3 inch layer of dust combusted!

If there is an AGP slot, is it AGP 1x/2x, or AGP4x? We still need to know the rest of the system.

Last edited:

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
My preference is an older Asus geforce2-series card, like the V7100, paired with their short-lived "see-through" drivers (lets you see thru walls using wireframe mode). Still works great in U2xmp, as long as your CPU is good (AthlonXP sux!). Of course, if you were really into haxxing, you would know that the Asus drivers could be modified to run on any brand Geforce2 series card. Sweetness :)

Status
Not open for further replies.