gas

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
Guys, UTXMP gas is never going to act like it did in U2XMP. U2's gas used the Legend particle system, which allowed for per-particle damage. Put simply, this means that the actual sprites that make up the gas cloud deal out damage. The Epic particle system doesn't allow this, and so we use "hurter proxies" that are spawned along with the particle effect and do damage every x.y seconds for z loops.

If you're really that bothered to see how this is done, look at the XMP.XMPHurterProxy class and its subclasses.

Incendiary grenades are done the same way.

nitrous{e}

Feb 17, 2005
RaptoR said:
Guys, UTXMP gas is never going to act like it did in U2XMP. U2's gas used the Legend particle system, which allowed for per-particle damage. Put simply, this means that the actual sprites that make up the gas cloud deal out damage. The Epic particle system doesn't allow this, and so we use "hurter proxies" that are spawned along with the particle effect and do damage every x.y seconds for z loops.

If you're really that bothered to see how this is done, look at the XMP.XMPHurterProxy class and its subclasses.

Incendiary grenades are done the same way.

Hey Raptor, this makes sense, and what you guys have done to adapt the game, esp given stuff like the new particle system limitations is awesome :rockon:
From what ur sayin tho the difference in the engines is the way the damage is done. The way the damage is done seems fine to me tho. Opponents suck it in and die just the same! The difference in game play for me is the speed the cloud materializes, and to a lesser extent the size of it. In U2XMP the cloud used to be there, bang, as soon as the nade exploded. Now there is a pause while the cloud forms. The opponent sees the grenade coming, thats the chance to dodge, a few instants more while the cloud forms is too much time. Other nades like conc, incendiary, frag & emp all have instantanious area of effects. Gas has a delay.

What I'm asking is can the hurter proxies and particle effect be generated as quickly as with the Incendiary grenades?

There's sooooo much cool about XMP, and gas for me was always one of them. No other game I've played has it. Nades have a nice range for the tech too, just beyond the shottys reach. I loved to be able to stand back from an opponent, lob a gas nade to soften up and then step in with the ar or shotty to finnish. Better to skip the gas now.
Defending was another great use for it, force fields, a few nicely placed turrets, hide, wait.... Ranger comes and jumps or blasts force field and sprints over the node, hit him with a gas nade as he gets to the node. Now, with the delay of the projectile + delay in formation time of gas it's nothing like as effective.

The size of the U2XMP cloud was maybe a bit ott, but please please please make the cloud form as quick as it did before. Noobs, laggers & piss heads the world over will cheer! + with players not whining about gas it's just not the same any more! ;)

Anyway, whatever you do, the game rox :cheers:

Last edited:

KillaALF

Mar 9, 2004
nitrous{e} said:
Ranger comes and jumps or blasts force field and sprints over the node, hit him with a gas nade as he gets to the node.

let's see how this story develops:

Ranger gets annoyed, pulls out his pistol, puts some hot lead into tech's cranium and vanishes in the distance, tech cries....

Even better: driving silly techs into their own gas clouds and seeing them croak, so much fun =)

nitrous{e}

Feb 17, 2005
KillaALF said:
let's see how this story develops:

Ranger gets annoyed, pulls out his pistol, puts some hot lead into tech's cranium and vanishes in the distance, tech cries....

Even better: driving silly techs into their own gas clouds and seeing them croak, so much fun =)

haha - hopefully I'll be seeing you at the node one day and we can discuss your ideas further... :instagib:

Last edited:

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
i just kill with the AR rnagers casn shove pistol up thier arses
AR > pistol i just kill with EMP nades (better then u think owns shields see turns rangers into dead in 2)

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
[DF]phalanx said:
i just kill with the AR rnagers casn shove pistol up thier arses
AR > pistol i just kill with EMP nades (better then u think owns shields see turns rangers into dead in 2)
Does Google have a translator for this?

.pot.OptimusPrime

Philosopher stoned
Nov 1, 2004
Finland
Q: Why is there no gas grenades in other games, only in XMP?
A: Gas Grenade is a dumbass spammer weapon that was considered useless against protected soldiers during WW1. IMO gas is in the game only because somebody wanted so eagerly import all the guns from U2.

There are certainly substitutes for using gas, it definitely isn´t needed. I´m not suggesting its removal, only to keep it sucky as it is. In U2 XMP I only rarely got killed by gas, the whole weapon was just so annoying. Using gas nades is like throwing lethal areas (=deployables :)) here and there, not actual gunfight.

pistos

Mar 18, 2004
Optimusprime: I think your comment might help to support his original point and request. Make the gas more deadly and effective and then you have a weapon that is useful. Make the gas spread very fast and make it deadly. Then you have a weapon that is respected, rather than mocked?

I am still a pretty new player, so I don't have a long history or prejudice or preference regarding U2XMP verses UTXMP. I like them both a lot. My impression about the gas grenade is that it appears to spread much faster in U2XMP and dissipates faster too. It appears to take longer to spread and to go away in UTXMP. It appears to be in "slow motion," from start to finish in comparison.

The same comment applies to the smoke grenade for the Ranger. In U2XMP it spreads fast, is dense, and can be very effective. In UTXMP appears to take "a long time" to spread and it is not nearly as dense and blinding.

nitrous{e}

Feb 17, 2005
.pot.OptimusPrime said:
Gas Grenade is a dumbass spammer weapon that was considered useless against protected soldiers during WW1.
WTF?! Estimates of deaths by gas in WWI start at a million, and it sure as hell wasn't shot out of a hand held weapon. For two years the only protection soldiers had from gas was to cover their faces with urine soaked rags.
Not quite sure why you made the WWI connection anyway. If you wanted to make a real world connection to the XMP weapon it'd be the riot police tear gas launchers.
In U2 XMP I only rarely got killed by gas, the whole weapon was just so annoying
I'm guessing the reason you found it annoying is you got killed by it enough to find it annoying.
Using gas nades is like throwing lethal areas
Yup, thats what grenades are - area of effect weapans.
I´m not suggesting its removal, only to keep it sucky as it is.
Whats the point of that?! If it's kept as it is it may as well be removed cause it's next to useless as it is.
gas is in the game only because somebody wanted so eagerly import all the guns from U2
Er, "sombody" = FMI.
XMP is not just a shooter, it's the most strategic multiplayer fps round. Deployables, alternative weapan types like gas and smoke plus energy, deploys etc mean it's not just about fire fights. Opens it up to a wider range of players, you don't need to be a crack shot on a good ping to play. Not everybody has the time to practice to get that good, I sure don't.
Weapans like gas and turrets guard against the game becoming elitist too. Means noobs & occasional players can come in, have fun and be effective. Games more fun with noobs round to shoot at! :D

Last edited:

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
not all the nades are AOE tho the normal and EMP nades arn't AOE but do some mean damage to players
smoke is just pointless all it does it rape FPS (in XMP anyway) and ppl using it to cloak while hack were still visable within
the XMP flamethrower is not too be sniffed at kills just as good as gas

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
[QUOTE='[DF]the XMP flamethrower is not too be sniffed at kills just as good as gas[/QUOTE]And headshots are quite satisfying!