Recent comments in maps I recently reviewed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Manticore said:
Where does it all end?

It ends where I said it ends. Read.
If you remove too much its a dictatorship and too harsh, people will run off because they are too restricted and feel "parentised"
Your method would not work

ReD_Fist said:

You like cubes man :)
Even if we were to review good maps they would still be bad for you :)
Its pointless argueing with you.
It wont make the site look dorky, only high end reviews would. Im not going to believe a site that has 9.9/10's all over the place...

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
not 9's an 10's
not cube maps either
And it's not all that bad,just feels like people who have struggled longer and harder to make different cooler maps deserves a review,and or deserves that spot on the frontpage like that.not just some map.

Plus it looks like he is the only one left doing reviews.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
W0RF said:
No one's putting a gun to your head to come here for reviews.
and how much more genius is "Well they can do what they will,but it's a waste of HOMEPAGE of a site wich has REVIEWERS."

Apparently if you want them to redesign their site to suit your whim, then you DON'T believe they can "do what they will".

They have a lot of information to convey in a small amount of space. The design reflects that. Not every page is going to look the same, or seem an artistic masterpiece to everybody, but they have thousands of viewers here to consider.

ArcadiaVincennes

Level Designer
May 20, 2004
Joisee
www.avld.org
Red_Fist said:
Well you all do whatever,just pointing out it is rediculas to review gorky maps..............

And the other thing,I dont read them,nor download them,nor give a rats a__ if they got a review,but it soaks up that column making nalicity look dorky.

Your opinion that reviewing 'gorky' maps is invalid. As we've explained to you, it benefits the community to review bad, mediocre, and good maps. However, we have obviously not changed your mind. This is your opinion. You know ours. Nothing more to be said there.

Does it make NaliCity the site look 'dorky' in the eyes of the community? No. If we only reviewed good maps, the community would say we're not doing our job. As I said before, our job is not to publicise good maps. No one on staff thinks that (correct me if I'm wrong guys) so you need to adjust your thinking on that point. Our job is to critique maps, whether they be good, bad, or ugly, and to present that to the community in order to develop the community, help mappers improve, and give authors a place they can receive sonstructive feedback. We're NOT an ownage site.

As Hourences said,

Hourences said:
If you remove too much its a dictatorship and too harsh, people will run off because they are too restricted and feel "parentised"
Your method would not work. It wont make the site look dorky, only high end reviews would. Im not going to believe a site that has 9.9/10's all over the place...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red_Fist said:
And it's not all that bad,just feels like people who have struggled longer and harder to make different cooler maps deserves a review,and or deserves that spot on the frontpage like that.not just some map.

Again - that box is not a prestige area. It's simply informing you that a new review has been posted. Using your logic, in the comments box next to it, we should only allow comments that rate the map a 7 or up so we can show the maps the community thinks is good. And in the recently uploaded maps box on the other side, we should only show good recently uploaded maps.
The point you're missing is that NaliCity is a page for EVERYONE. We're not an ownage site. We welcome good and bad alike.

It's a place to learn about good mapping and bad mapping. It's a place to make fun of DM-SubtractedCubeWithA'Deemer and to comment back about DM-Waisten.
Some mediocre maps were worked on by mappers who, quote - 'struggled longer and harder' than the average. But they're learning so their end result wasn't that great. Are we going to deny these people the right to a critique so that their next map can be better? Their map may not be as good as DM-Goose2K4, but they could have put the same amount of time and effort into it.
The good maps do deserve a spot on the front page. AND SO DO THE BAD/MEDIOCRE ONES.

I won't be able to constructively add to this thread much longer as post is very close to devolving into a string of expletives. So I will summarise thusly.

From what I can see,
Your opinion is that we should only be telling the community what is good.
The occasional gimmicky or bad map review is okay.
This is wrong. If we were an ownage site, this would be what we do - but we are not so we don't.
If we did this, NaliCity would lose community respect, and gain yours. The good of the community outweighs your sole opinion.
If we did this, we could not help bad/mediocre mappers develop to become good mappers.

My opinion is that NaliCity is here to foster community development and to help mappers get better, and to provoke discussion on UT maps. I am going to continue posting reviews according to this philosophy. I'm not going to post on an 'ownage' philosphy.

Your opinion has been stated. No one commenting agrees with you. I find that whenever my opinion is in the minority, I reconsider it so see if my thinking is off-base. I suggest you do the same.

You voiced your opinion and I heard it.

You still maintain your position despite numerous, thoughtfull arguments against it. No one backed you up.
I voiced my counter-opinion. Many people have, in general, backed me up.

I respect your stubborness and tenacity and that you stick to your guns.
But you are simply incorrect.

After taking your complaint into consideration - and the counter-posts by others, I have decided to make NO change in how I review.

I am done with this thread, I will not be posting no more.
We have each voiced our opinions and I think it's obvious which is more valid at this point in NaliCity's life.

We are done.

You can look forward to seeing many, many more mediocre maps in the review queue.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
don't tell anyone, but I've found a way to find great maps on NaliCity.

[SCREENSHOT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/w0rf47/goodmaps.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
I guess my point is also,if you read a review on somthing it's usualy current.
And don't get me totaly wrong here,I like old,or strange maps,and I really don't mind the reviews,just too many of them,compared to all the other levels around.

Last comment here as well

Accept one thing
how many reviewers are there?
because if there were 10 reviewers each one would have a different approach to wich maps they pick wich in turn would make that list have more to it.

keep up the reviews the way you see it,ok by me,and at least you have somthing to say instead of just pushing it aside,wich does make for a good reviewer as well.

Icedancer

Colder than Steel
ReD_Fist said:
hell look how long that Mr.prophet one has been in that list.
Shheeez.

And the other thing,I dont read them,

If you mean DM-BulletTime][, thats my fault, my life sucks right now, i barely have time to read these forums let alone load UT, maybe soon i will fix this, but if you want to bitch at someone for this, bitch at me.

And sorry if i've got this wrong...but...you are complaining about the reviews, yet you say you dont read them? :con: :hmm:

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Icedancer said:
If you mean DM-BulletTime][, thats my fault, my life sucks right now, i barely have time to read these forums let alone load UT, maybe soon i will fix this, but if you want to bitch at someone for this, bitch at me.

And sorry if i've got this wrong...but...you are complaining about the reviews, yet you say you dont read them? :con: :hmm:

No not that map that other thing with the 30 screenshots,after looking it wasn't there for waaaay long ,but it feels like its been there forever.

Well I do read reviews,but on maps that are worth downloading,and a few others,only DM,mabye CTF once in a while or DOM,and no you are doing just fine.

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
I think all you reviewers are doing a swell job and should keep doing it as long as it doesn't intervine anything (like a social life)

As for the 7+ maps. Hmmm, I dunno if they should or shold not be reviewed. If it's a realy 7+ map it shouldn't be a very long review, there shouldn't be a lotta bad things to point out and pointing out all the good things sounds like a bad idea.

Also, to me a map can only become a 7+ map when it gets that from a review. Coz the userratings aren't that sincer anymore.