New Case

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

garrett

dreaming lucidly
Aug 23, 2000
yeah i need a new case too, i have some raidmax case that kind of sucks and is ugly. i figured i wanted to get one that had better cooling capabilities without me having to modify the case. i've heard nothing but good about lian-li except maybe their prices(dont' want to spend too much more than 100 w/o a power supply). mainly the two cases i've looked into are

Lian-Li pc-61
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-112-025&depa=1

and this antec case
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-144&depa=1

for some reason i'm leaning more towards the antec case, i don't know if it's because i just like it better all around, who knows.

the rest of my system would then be as follows(to put in this case)

evga 6800 ultra
athlon 64 3500+(winchester core)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
along with the ram i recently picked up and that new fortron psu i am waiting on(be here on tuesday i think). i ordered 3 new fans already which should come with the psu(2x80mm and 1x120mm both run based off heat detectors or whatever).

any of you have any experience with either of those cases or can think of something better in the same price range, without a psu of course. my main objective is to keep it fairly cool. i've heard good things about that antec case, but same with the lian-li. i'm open to other suggestions though.

thanks in advance for any replies. ;)

just notice that antec case has 2x120mm fans, i thought it had a couple more places for fans, maybe it was a different one i was looking at.

Last edited:

Dead_Hood

The Seventh Sign
Apr 24, 2001
123 Fake Street
I can't speak about the Lian-Li case, but I'm using the P160 case right now and I think it's great. It's quiet, cools efficiently, and is pretty nice to look at. Trust me, 2 120mm fans is plenty if you know how to cable your case for proper airflow, and there is enough space on top that you could add a blowhole if you needed to. I'm sure that either case would suit your needs well, but as a current P160 user (not to mention a total Antec fanboy) I would recommend the P160.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I like Antec cases, I just picked up a LS-138 and think it`s great. No window, but nice and quiet.
Looking at the antec case you linked though it would apear to me anything plugged into the front USB or sound ports, the cables will hang and get in the way of the CD drive tray opening and closing.

garrett

dreaming lucidly
Aug 23, 2000
Dead_Hood said:
I can't speak about the Lian-Li case, but I'm using the P160 case right now and I think it's great. It's quiet, cools efficiently, and is pretty nice to look at. Trust me, 2 120mm fans is plenty if you know how to cable your case for proper airflow, and there is enough space on top that you could add a blowhole if you needed to. I'm sure that either case would suit your needs well, but as a current P160 user (not to mention a total Antec fanboy) I would recommend the P160.

do you have any idea how accurate the LED displays are on the p160?? and is what rukee said any problem with your case?

thank you for the replies both of you, even if i don't get the p160(which i probably will), i'm thinking i might stick to antec. i'd like a lian-li but some of them are insanely expensive, hell i could buy a good mobo and cpu for the price of some of their cases.

anybody else have any experiences or anything to suggest? also i think i really do want to put a blowhole on top, how difficult is this(i'm not really into modifying yet, but i think it would be nice since i'll have some extra fans)

*edit*
how much was your case rukee? i'll go look for it, but i didn't see it after a quick search, but i'll keep looking.

Last edited:

Dead_Hood

The Seventh Sign
Apr 24, 2001
123 Fake Street
The LED's are fairly accurate (usually within 1 degree) of the actual temp. I don't ever have a problem with the front USB/1394/audio ports because all that ever get plugged in there are gamepads, a headset, and an mp3 player: all things that don't stay plugged in. I suppose the cables would get in the way, but I'm never in a situation where that is a problem.

As far as adding a blowhole goes, it's not really hard at all. You just need to make sure that you measure carefully and have a fairly steady hand while you're cutting. There are plenty of case modding guides online, and I'm sure you could find one with minimal effort.

Hope that helps!

garrett

dreaming lucidly
Aug 23, 2000
Dead_Hood said:
The LED's are fairly accurate (usually within 1 degree) of the actual temp. I don't ever have a problem with the front USB/1394/audio ports because all that ever get plugged in there are gamepads, a headset, and an mp3 player: all things that don't stay plugged in. I suppose the cables would get in the way, but I'm never in a situation where that is a problem.

As far as adding a blowhole goes, it's not really hard at all. You just need to make sure that you measure carefully and have a fairly steady hand while you're cutting. There are plenty of case modding guides online, and I'm sure you could find one with minimal effort.

Hope that helps!

thank you for the replies dead_hood, actually helped seal my decision. i don't even have a headset or anything like that so the front usb's wouldn't be a problem for me until i decide to buy one. i'll have to look into a guide, i'd like to have as much cooling as possible, although it sounds as if this one stays pretty cool anyway. thanks again for the replies everyone.