Does Bulletstorm PC Use GFWL?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
That's easy to say when Gears of War runs fine on Xbox 360, UT3 runs fine on PS3 and Xbox 360, but both were buggy messes at release on PC and still have problems of their own to this day.
If they half-ass the work they are supposed to do on the PC then yeah it's kind of natural that people will half-appreciate and half-detest the games they make on PC.

Sorry but if Epic Games wants to earn the trust of PC gamers back they are gonna have to work for it double time, because after those two ****ty ports they've done I'm not sure they even have what is called a fanboy on the PC anymore.

Memo to Epic Games: Bulletstorm is that particular occasion. Don't mess it up because it will be unforgiving once again, just like the other times.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Meh, GfWL isn't the worst thing evar, but it sure as hell needs a good bit of work
About the only good thing about it is since it runs as a service you don't have to wait for another program to fire up to play

With Section 8 all I had to do was fire up the game and I'd be signed in by the time I hit the main menu

Really?
It's the opposite for me. Every Windows session a GFWL game will load up quick the first time, but every time after it takes longer.

What name does the service use? Is it only listed while it is running?
(there is no obvious listing in my services)

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Maybe it's because PC gamers don't appreciate the work they put into their games, and the console gamers do.

Rubbish, since UT2004 all we've gotten are bad console ports, ofcourse we're not happy with that, but the Console players are, because they got Console games designed for their Consoles that actually work as intended (well mostly, apparently the MP of GoW2 had it's teething problems).

You shoulden't expect a man you just slapped in the face to be happy with you, but if you give him money instead he probably will be, actions lead to reactions.

Epic hasen't earned our appreciation lately, quite the opposite, and as consumers, it's certainly not our job to fake satiesfaction, no, it's our job to say "if you want my monies, you'll have to give me a product i would want to pay for".

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Lynx is a game tester, so he HAS had problems with GFWL on pre-release versions of games. :)

Anyway, I'm not saying GFWL is the worst possible outcome. But GFWL IS going to cause three major problems:

1) It will turn off hardcore PC gamers who already despise GFWL because it is slow, clunky, and offer virtually zero benefit to the user.

2) Multiplayer will be non existent within the fire three months of the game's release.

3) Epic will continue to blame piracy for horrible sales on the PC citing low sales number of Bulletstorm PC as the prime example, despite the fact that it is their own decisions on that platform that cause the problems.

I don't mind so much the use of GFWL as what the use of GFWL tells me about Epic's core business today, and that is that they really DON'T care about the core PC gamer that gave them their start, that stayed relentlessly devoted to them through UT2003, UT2004, and UT3, that spent countless hours defending their actions on Epic MegaBoards, INA Community, and Epic Forums, that, long before Epic gave two ****s about console development, bought their games multiple times for themselves and for friends to try and convince them that Epic games were the top breed and show them that there actually was a company out there that didn't just follow industry trends blindly but followed their gut and sometimes did things that didn't seem like they made sense at the time but turned out to be exactly what the industry needed to start a new trend.

My problem is that Epic used to NOT be a company of followers, but a company of leaders.

I'm sure Bulletstorm will be a good game, but I'd rather just play it on it's native platform if the only thing I have to look forward to on PC is GFWL with dead multiplayer and a clunky in-game interface.

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
Epic will continue to blame piracy for horrible sales on the PC citing low sales number of Bulletstorm PC as the prime example, despite the fact that it is their own decisions on that platform that cause the problems.

IDD, Epic seem good at sabotaging their own sales when it comes to PC releases, then looking for scapegoats. The same thing pretty much occured with how feature stripped and consolized UT3 was at launch. Since GOW they've found the lure of consoles to be almost irresistible to the exclusion of really optimizing and indivdualizing their PC versions.

Kinda makes you wonder whether there is anyone at Epic actually defending PC these days, because in reported comments Cliff has been negative, Mark Rein has (though he generally seems more pro PC), Mike Capps has and Tim Sweeney is reported in an interview as saying ,""PCs are good for anything, just not games”.

All too often they seem happier emphasising the well known problems PC gaming faces, rather than talking up the opportunities and solutions presented. Compare this to say a DICE or Valve and others, it's quite a contrast. What makes this situation more odd is the fact that Epic are leading members of the PCGA.

The UDk release and updates are cool tho ,and there is a new IP scheduled TBA in feb according to this: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=281684 .

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Crotale here is correct. A few days ago I got around to installing Batman Arkham Asylum. This game got such excellent reviews on the PC that they released a Game of the Year Edition. And guess what? It has GFWL.

Oh noes I have to press a few extra clicks every time the game starts. Do I dislike it? Yes. Do I claim the developers hate PC gamers? Hell no. I purchased the damn game for 5$ a few months ago. If anything they have done a great job integrating it to run on the PC. Using my new rig, it looks great too.

Epic really is not shooting themselves in the foot here. As long as the game is very good, people will not mind GFWL.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
Funny how the only people who like Epic PC games, are the people who buy it after it's been patched.

Butt. Then they will bitch about it, in a couple of days.

Elude

Apr 17, 2010
Listen to all these whiners, and whiners whining about the whiners whining, and me whining about the whiners whining about the whiners whining about me.

Game looks fun, but I don't think I would of been buying it regardless of it having GFWL or not.

Despite that fact, GFWL doesn't ruin a game, but removing it from the game does most certainly make it better. :)

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Threads are still being closed at the Epic Games Forums without comments.

MEH.

I was gonna give them the chance and get this game, but it's this whole attitude that I am against so you've just lost me.

Enjoy your power trip while you can Flak.