Insite Shuts Down

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
After almost six years and 1000+ reviews, Insite has shut its doors... at least pending the next Unreal-related game. We'd like to thank everyone over the years who has given their time to Insite and to all that dropped by to read their thoughtful reviews. The reviews will remain in place, but the review-queue is now closed.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
violin.gif

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Pity seeing this reviewing site closing its doors. I really hope any future UT game can revive it. Insite was another good source for quality UT maps.

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
So, I quit paying attention to the UT community, and now there are no map review sites anymore? Is NC still around, at least?

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Bummer.

Thanks to the Insite guys for a great resource. It would be great to see it back in the future; as well as NC.

This whole UT community site thing is getting a bit worrying. What's left?

Mapraider?

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
What happened to the thriving community I remember a few years ago?
You know, when I could make a DavidM joke and people would understand? :cry:
Now I see these map review sites going under, and general interest in UT3 is plummeting...

I think that we can only blame CliffyB. Because we're not supposed to call him CliffyB anymore. Jerk.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
BU is just about all that's left...

Despite not really being part of the UT scene any more, it sucks to see a site like Insite go down, they did a lot of good over the years.

UT3 claims another victim I guess :(

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
I'd like to thank the folks from Insite for being a part of BeyondUnreal for such a long time. From lophead on through the current staff, they have always tried their best to provide quality map reviews for the Unreal community. They helped introduce countless players to high-quality maps for over six years, maps that could have easily gone unnoticed.

I echo the current Insite team's dissatisfaction with UT, starting with the 2003/2004 releases, and the lack of quality fun in the current version is beyond my capability to describe adequately. I'm amazed people bother playing it at all.

As for UT community sites, as the fun-factor of the game decreases and Epic's focus becomes more and more on the console, you'll see more community sites disappear. We're really dinosaurs here, us PC gamers, and I don't believe there will be any turning back any time soon.

UT99 forever, my friends! :2thumb:

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
The Unreal community is getting smaller at a very fastening rate. I only fear that most of the cake was already eaten and we'll be done in the upcoming 10 years, but what will take over the crater that'll be left behind this meltdown? :(

Best of luck that something will fix this, but what or who will if not us?

U

Unregistered

Oh man, I used to remember checking Insite every week to find new (UT99) CTF maps to download and play on the LAN with my friends.

The best one I found was an insta-gib WW2 style ctf map, If I remember it had a bridge in the middle with a tower in the corner at each end where you could double jump from to get across half the battlefield

Good times, good times

Long live UT99, Long live Insite, Long live BEYOND UNREAL

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Even though I'm not an active reviewer anymore, I'd like to thank everyone for their support of Insite over the years. It was fun and I've tried to put in my two cents after leaving by map review comments, general comments and scores behind the scenes and not. Only time will tell what happens, but if UT3 makes a brief comeback then I believe Insite might as well. Don't forget about our section of the BU forums. And, yes, the original UT is still my favorite. Thanks again.:)