New BU Poll! The UT3 UI

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dura1198

Feb 18, 2008
I'd play the game more if there were more people to play it with. The UI was/is not a deal breaker for me or my clan. As an iCTF clan there is only 1 public server that ever has anyone on it (in the US). Some of moved to weapons game modes but most sadly most of my guys left for other games (WoW & CoD4).

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
The ui is crap but that's not the major problem, it's the server browser that needs a serious redesign (and more features).

Anyway I agree with T2A`, there are worst bugs out there that needs to be fixed first.

Last edited:

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
Its not the only thing that put me off playing by a long chalk, but it would help.

Even if the UI were replaced with something that could be described as good the game is dead now.

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
The fact that the UI looks like crap and has a retarded layout don't stop me from playing, but it sure adds to the negative vibe around the game. The UI lacks 50% of the options and features I was expecting from it though, and that makes me play less.

Poll is broken btw.

[Edit] works now

Last edited:

Fordy

Jul 10, 2001
York, UK
www.planetunreal.com
UI wouldn't stop me playing UT.

I don't know what it is but I'm really saddened that I just don't seem to be able to get into UT. It's probably mainy down to the maps, hardy any of which rock my boat.

Right now I can't drag myself away from Frontlines: Fuels of war, 64 players online at once, fantastic maps, robotic drones and gameplay similar to Assault where points on the map need to be taken (but can also be lost).

Don't know why but it's soooo damned addictive. I just wish UT3 was the same :(

Last edited:

ChookWoods

Jun 19, 2005
sure the UI is far from perfect. but if youre letting that stop you from playing the game then you should seek help for the sake of your mental health.

Mammut

Jan 21, 2005
Denmark
www.nightbreed.dk
The UI and the server/browser options is a disaster :mad:

I just wonder how Epic could go so wrong, when they already had the right layout with UT2004?

It's sad to see, that this otherwise great game was killed by Epic by releasing it to early.

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
Unfortunately, yes :(

But only by implication. Wneh you connect for some server, for example, and it download many useless modificators, you cannot use server browser at same time; also bad server browser so you cannot filter out instagib servers, for example.

Though if i found some good server i'm in game :)

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
The server browser from the demo killed the game. Killed it.

The fact that the retail release had the same broken server browser didn't help matters.

When I fire up UT3 and load the server browser, I can't help but think "What the **** were they thinking?!?" every time.

Any UI that makes you load up a map each time you bring it up needs to be thrown out.

Lakie

Apr 14, 2008
Personally, I find the UI an annoyance especially with trying to set some more advance settings.
I've not used the Server Browser since v1 (in which it was nasty), so I can't really comment about that.

What actually keeps me from playing the game at the moment is the high damage from weapons (2-4 shots and your are normally dead), and the AI which manages to pull off some truly amazing shots with pin point accuracy even on novice (like an Aimbot). :mad:

[Edit] I don't mind the map being loaded for the UI, I do however object to custom factions being knackered because of it though.

~ Lakie

Last edited:

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
yes, but it would have to be a major change

I assumed that "changing the UI" means "adding in missing features and doing a major overhaul of the layout," and picked the first option. Especially if more bot features were added in, then I'd play the game more.

EDIT: Wow, Post #1000 (discounting posts lost during the crash).

Last edited:

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
I think people on this forum underestimate how the UI has turned off casual UT players, players that don't go online much if ever.

These players spend a lot of time changing maps, changing gametypes, changing mutator combinations, changing bot levels, trying new mods...

To the point, in any given evening after a long day of work, many casual players spend quite a bit of time within the menus playing around with different bot & mutator setups.

In UT, and do a lesser degree UT2004, performing these functions was quick, seamless and even fun.

But to perform these adjustments in UT3 requires an impossibly tedious and slow collection of chores involving backtracking and waiting for various menus to load.

I know many of you like to lean on the argument that UT3 got it right where it counts -- in the core gameplay -- and that you just briefly pass through the UI to get to the part that counts. And you know what? I personally agree with you.

But in the age of Facebook and iPhones, user interfaces count. Most people -- read: non-hardcore players -- expect an application or a piece of entertainment to provide more than its isolated core purpose.

Not only is the UT3 UI just plain bad in its own right, but it's a bad era to blow it with the user interface and the community building tools.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
"THUD!"

That was the sound of my head crashing on my desk in agony. The UI is and isn't the reason UT3 isn't popular.

The UI doesn't affect how much I play the game. And it's not the reason I enjoy the game. For me the UI does not make or break a game unless it's in game.

My only gripe about the current UI is the fact that none of my settings stick. I constantly have to set bot level, number of frags and time limit before I start to play. I also wish I could turn off the taunts. There's a setting for no auto taunt but it apparently doesn't work.