The Sniper Rifle.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kriegs-Maschine

May 9, 2005
Unreality said:
yea i thought bout thermal vision could help indicating a player from the background

Hope they don't make UT2007 too much like UC2, cause it really looked way diffrent than UT, and less good.

Yeah I think Thermal would be very useful in UT2007, considering that next UT will have much more and better Shadows and Dynamic Lightning effects... in current UT2004, there ain't really any shadows spot in most maps.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
lol @apoc. #2 is good. Couldn't do #1 because it speaks too defineatively, which is against a person rule of engagement. I've got a few of my own, so I'll be ok ;).

It's not that I want the weapon nerfed to the point where I can abosorb sniper bullets and frolic around carelessly in open areas. I'd like to be able to use it too. What prevents me from using a weapon is lack of challenge or enjoyment in doing so. Honestly, traceability was not one of the bigger problems of the UT sniper rifle, and it bing fixed so thouroughly wasn't as necessary as some other things (chaulk that one up to hind-sight). I just want a sniper weapon that takes skill to use. Having to lead in a no-latency environment, not being able to bail on it right after a shot, and switch to another weapon to take out the guy that flanked your perch.

Sub sonic projectile trace round. Slightly longer ROF then LtG, cSR switch away time, and 80/160dmg. Make the round something that explodes. Thermals on the zoom aren't such a bad idea. Smoke cloud sold seperately.

Only problem is we can't test it like Epic can and tweak accordingly, so even if we could draw a cool weapon on paper, it's mostly pointless. That though is the range I'd be looking for. More damage, less rapidity, minor traceability, mild commitment, skill to shoot.

@Kriegs: Either Hit-scan or Projectile. To code someting not-hit-scan, it needs to be modeled, and designated a velocity.

Kriegs-Maschine

May 9, 2005
I've thought about something... do you guys think the Sniper would be only used as a sniper "at far range" if they make it so you can ONLY shoot when you Zoom in ? That way it should mostly stop people from abusing of its power at close range ?

Kriegs-Maschine

May 9, 2005
Defeat said:
>In one game the sniper rifle didn't do as much damage if it wasn't zoomed in, i think it ws FAR CRY.

Yeah this is a good idea but in a way that would be gay cause when you think about it, its the same damn gun and bullets, why should it do less ammo because you dont put ur eye on the scope lol. So instead, another way to balance it and make it more realistic, would simply be to remove the damn crosshair if you dont zoom and have one if you zoom :)
lol simple as hell and working very well :lol:

as the developers wanted to reduce hitscan weapons, (left with shock) and go massively on projectiles..

i am also a BIG fan of the LtG, and wont want it to go, without seeing something awesome in return...

what about a hybrid, i heard an idea in here b4 that sounded awesome, a sniper rifle, that fired a projectile shot, and when contact was made with an enemy, a massive electrical discharge blew out of the bullet and fryed ur opponent...

edit- currently there is only 2 maps that are really used for the current sniper rifle

dm-deck-17
ctf-face classic

for sniping purposes, the sr is preety good, if the sound is a bit weak, i wanna hear a massive boom, and if it kills them, they basicly explode.

edit-2 like the sniper rifle on the chaos mod. that is sweeeeettt

for medium to close up fighting, the sr blows.. its hard to hit, and u cant see the bullet, thats one of the reasons the LtG is popular, cause medium to close, u can see the damn bullet, and know how much u missed by..

Last edited:

Kriegs-Maschine

May 9, 2005
kAoS.Xaero said:
as the developers wanted to reduce hitscan weapons, (left with shock) and go massively on projectiles..

i am also a BIG fan of the LtG, and wont want it to go, without seeing something awesome in return...

what about a hybrid, i heard an idea in here b4 that sounded awesome, a sniper rifle, that fired a projectile shot, and when contact was made with an enemy, a massive electrical discharge blew out of the bullet and fryed ur opponent...

edit- currently there is only 2 maps that are really used for the current sniper rifle

dm-deck-17
ctf-face classic

for sniping purposes, the sr is preety good, if the sound is a bit weak, i wanna hear a massive boom, and if it kills them, they basicly explode.

edit-2 like the sniper rifle on the chaos mod. that is sweeeeettt

for medium to close up fighting, the sr blows.. its hard to hit, and u cant see the bullet, thats one of the reasons the LtG is popular, cause medium to close, u can see the damn bullet, and know how much u missed by..

Thats the point, if we see it, it will be too easy and good to use at medium-close range. The thing is to make it only good at Long range and no less than Medium range.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I don't mind it being ok at mid range, or even close range, but if you are gonna tote it at said "un-intended" ranges, I want it's effectiveness to be earned by some raw skill.

I'm not saying make it out right impossible, but if I got an SR, and only an SR, I would want the possibility of landing a shot up close. Hence the no-zoom modification thing I wouldn't like, whether it be decreased damage, no crosshair, or whatever other idea you could come up with to that effect. I think the switch away time is really the clincher, because being able to pop of a high damage shot like that, and make or miss, then switch to a weapon more suited for your range in less then a second is silly. It's you're gonna chance the big damage shot up close like that make them pay. You throw a rail in Q3, and you gotta wait the entire recharge time of the Railgun to even switch away. You start to wonder if it's even worth it to switch away more often then not.

Prob with LtG is, you really don't have to ever make that wait. You don't feel the ROF, because you can throw any other weapon in between it, then come back to it if you want, and it's good, almost solely because of this, at any range.

I wouldn't have a problem if someone was that good with an unzoomed, non-hitscan weapon up close that if they just simply didn't miss, to be able to use it where ever. It's the ability to miss, once or twice, in a CQ firefight, and not worry about it that is bothers me.

SiN-BiN

Aug 21, 2004
Kriegs-Maschine said:
Yeah this is a good idea but in a way that would be gay cause when you think about it, its the same damn gun and bullets, why should it do less ammo because you dont put ur eye on the scope lol. So instead, another way to balance it and make it more realistic, would simply be to remove the damn crosshair if you dont zoom and have one if you zoom :)
lol simple as hell and working very well :lol:

I think it is stupid too. Although if they were going to have differnt damages, i would think it would have more damaged zoomed IN, as it would encourage you to use it as a sniper instead of a CQB gun.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
i think that the crosshair on the sniper should only exist in scope mode, if it ever comes back again, so that the shock rifle is better at close quarters... well, im only saying that because ive been shot by people wielding lighting guns up-close before and i didnt like it so bleh
well not that i cant hit anyone with the lighting gun in close quarters, but i had the shock rifle out most of the time when i was using hitscan on close quarters, and the slow fire rate on the lighting gun felt akward, but yeah thats just my point of view so bleh

anyway, ive been thinking of this special type of weapon where its the shock rifle and sniper rifle combined, basically a hellbender in a gun... primary fire and secondary fire is the normal shock rifle, but when you hold down secondary and tap primary (just like you would on the rocket launcher to make the rockets go in a spiral) , the gun zooms in and behaves like a sniper rifle and shoots things that are not unlike the twin beams on a hellbender... oh, and you have to keep on tapping secondary fire to keep it shooting , so it has the potential to reduce shock core spamming as well... plus, shooting a shock core before you even zoom in has anti-camping effects that the smoke puff was supposed to do , i think...
also , seeing that this game will be released in the future, i think that its nice if it can include fancy scope effects, like pixel shader effects that will highlight people against the background but the gun will emit a wide cone of light in front of it and people will see this light as a corona on their screens from far away and know that a sniper is present...

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
People use hitscan 'sniper' weapons up close and personal because they can, they've learned how to. It's a skill.

It's not a bright idea to totally nerf a weapon just because you get hit by it. There's a whole cut of the community that think the LtG rocks, myself included. I honestly don't think the balance of weaponry in 2k4 is bad, i just want to see bigger booms and bangs.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I think the weapon balance in this game is magnificent for 60-90ms pings. That however, is not an average competative ping anymore, even on the internet. It was however a quite "average internet ping" when the current weapon set was esablished in 2k3, and was only very slightly tweaked to 2k4, but not with that aspect in mind.

Again, I re-emphasize: I don't like what the sniper is capable of in my hands either. It's a very easy weapon to frag with, and is almost so efficient, especially in lan scenarios, that when the game get's more competative you are forced to use it to keep up¹. I can whore the SG, and on the right maps fair quite well against it. A lot of it can be blamed on the maps, because some maps, you simply have to out shoot with it (see DM-DE-Grendelkeep). My problem isn't so much facing it though, as it is from both sides of the coin. I don't like useing it, but face the above stated problem¹.

It happened before, and it's bound to happen again. The LtG is one of the coolest sniper weapon concepts I have ever seen, and all things considered, I like it a lot too. Epic has already said it's gone though, otherwise, I might be discussing what things could be done to balance it.

I think though, that balanceing it would be nearly impossible if they plan to take away the SG. Despite it's effectiveness vs every weapon in the game if used properly, the SG's primary use is a hit-scan counter. Since hit-scan can't be dodged, it is the only means of pre-emptive damage prevention you can do. You really, shouldn't need it vs anything projectile, because there remains a possibility to avoid it reactively. With the minigone, and no more LtG, a slowed down Shock Prime, and limited range link shaft as the only hit-scan in the game, a projectile based stinger, and sniper weapon would easily facilitate it's removeal. Then, however they plan to reduce the "hip-hop" will hopefully restore some of the scaling, and various weapons aspects of UT, and make this game as "in your face" as they hope to restore it to be.

I also firmly believe that another "means" of balancing hit-scan in this game were the change of scale and player visibility. Smaller characters, who's colors blended better with backrounds would make them harder targets to trace-point-click. Unfortunately, at competative levels, we have wonderous things called brightskins in comp, and TAM, to destroy those aspects weapon balance. If they make the move back to larger, more visible models, then that will as well be considered when balancing the weapons, and make hit-scan weapons again, in need of "nerfing".

My main point is more or less to illustrate all the factors and concerns when considering weapon balance. You can see how my subject matter can tend to veer off in so many directions, because there is that much to consider, how everything effects and compares to everything else. Hence I try not to worry about little things like how "the next UT won't have that cool lightning weapon", but more try to focus the big picture and how hopfully "UT's weapon balance will improove greatly once again" as it has done so well in the past.

krjal

Minotaur
May 10, 2005
Australia
Don't give up!

There's time still for the LtG to sneak in.

And, if it doesn't, I'll just say what I've said on the Stinger thread: There'll always be a mutator...

Kriegs-Maschine

May 9, 2005
krjal said:
Don't give up!

There's time still for the LtG to sneak in.

And, if it doesn't, I'll just say what I've said on the Stinger thread: There'll always be a mutator...

lol most of the people can't accept changes/diffrent stuff. It's very good to have new/diffrent stuff somtimes, ever having the same thing over and over gets boring really quickly.

But I don't think they should balance hitscan by making gay dark skins like some Cyborg of UT2004, its just lame when you can't see the enemy... and even more if he can see you cause you're not using a lame skin like him. Dark skin would disadvantage not just hitscans, but every weapons for me. Of course this can all be fixed with UTcomp bright colors... but I'd really prefer to play with "normal" colors that are possible to see and looks good. Yes its easy to spot people with UTcomp but they are damn ugly...