Getting Unreal Tournament Dreamcast Back Online

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GF-REX

Jan 31, 2008
Kansas, USA
www.unrealrex.com
I am doubting that a PC version of UT would work, so we would likely need to get a copy of the Dreamcast UT server software.

Who would possibly have this software? I'm thinking either SEGA or GameSpy, since since SEGA bought out Secret Level, and GameSpy helped with server hosting. Getting any information from SEGA would be extremely unlikely, so that leaves GameSpy.

GameSpy still hosts the lobby systems for two Dreamcast games, so it is slightly possible that they may still have the software required to run UT servers.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
If you haven't played the Dreamcast version, why are you even bothering to post here? The extra maps on the DC version were fine, and the game looks fine. You can also play the game with a keyboard and mouse on the Dreamcast.

So, again, why do you care?
I don't although you guys seem to. So I'll ask the same question. Why do YOU guys care.

And you still haven't accounted for the lack of the UnrealEd and the ability to put in custom mods and levels in it. About 50% of the UT experience.

Last edited:

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
I don't although you guys seem to. So I'll ask the same question. Why do YOU guys care.

And you still haven't accounted for the lack of the UnrealEd and the ability to put in custom mods and levels in it. About 50% of the UT experience.

No Arnox, we're tired of you acting like an asshole about a variant of a video game that is basically dead. You're not some "defender of Unreal Tournament" or whatever, so don't go around telling people off because they want to play a version of a game that you think is worse, but other may enjoy.

And you know what? The UT99 mod scene is basically dead anyways, so who gives a **** about mods anymore? There are like a handful of mods that actually play well with bots, which is how a majority of UT99 people play it anymore. It's not much better online, as most of the remaining servers are either Monster Hunt, Unreal 1 coop or DM.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Arnox, stop it with the trolling/thread crapping. You don't like the project, fine. However, others really seem to enjoy it. Deal with it.

I have dropped it but you guys keep bringing it up. Don't pin this on me. And, TBH, if someone can manage to get your panties in a bunch just because they disagree and offer some legitimate points of argument then I think some people have some growing up to do.

No Arnox, we're tired of you acting like an asshole about a variant of a video game that is basically dead. You're not some "defender of Unreal Tournament" or whatever, so don't go around telling people off because they want to play a version of a game that you think is worse, but other may enjoy.

And you know what? The UT99 mod scene is basically dead anyways, so who gives a **** about mods anymore? There are like a handful of mods that actually play well with bots, which is how a majority of UT99 people play it anymore. It's not much better online, as most of the remaining servers are either Monster Hunt, Unreal 1 coop or DM.
1. UT99 is far from dead.
2. Don't put words in my mouth.
3. I wasn't telling you guys off, I was actually trying to find out why you guys want to revive the DC scene so much.
4. Just because there may not be very much activity in the mod scene doesn't mean you have to stop using them. And there are a lot of mods that play fine with bots which I can list. And if you don't like the UT99 online scene then make your own server. If you build it, they will come.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Why can't some people take a hint. I'm not asking you to cut it out, I'm TELLING you to.
You know.. moderator?

Legitimate points of argument are one thing, presentation of these is another. Growing up has nothing to do with my telling you to leave this be, and my panties surely aren't in a bunch. One last time, give it a rest. You've had your chance, and you handled it wrong.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Why can't some people take a hint. I'm not asking you to cut it out, I'm TELLING you to.
You know.. moderator?

Legitimate points of argument are one thing, presentation of these is another. Growing up has nothing to do with my telling you to leave this be, and my panties surely aren't in a bunch. One last time, give it a rest. You've had your chance, and you handled it wrong.
Fine. But I expect the same from others.

TeamXlink

Feb 6, 2011
I am doubting that a PC version of UT would work, so we would likely need to get a copy of the Dreamcast UT server software.

Who would possibly have this software? I'm thinking either SEGA or GameSpy, since since SEGA bought out Secret Level, and GameSpy helped with server hosting. Getting any information from SEGA would be extremely unlikely, so that leaves GameSpy.

GameSpy still hosts the lobby systems for two Dreamcast games, so it is slightly possible that they may still have the software required to run UT servers.

People have tried to contact them before and haven't received any reply, I agree its worth it to try again.

My interest at the moment in Unreal Tournament is for the Dreamcast, my interest does not involve playing it on the PC and theres a reason why.

This also answers your comment about the Dreamcast version of Unreal Tournament not supporting mods.

I want to play Unreal Tournament the way it was when it first came out, I want to play Domination, Capture The Flag, DeathMatch and Team DeathMatch without mods in maps that I don't have to download to play on, I find it very difficult to find a server that people play on not running mods. I missed the original online experience of UnrealTournament, just like I missed the original online experience of TeamFortress, QuakeWorld, Quake III Arena, Doom and so many more. The only one of these that I've experienced in a semi full way is Quake III Arena, but most servers run on custom maps and/or run mods now. I play AGR TeamFortress every Sunday but it isn't the same as it was originally, I play QuakeWorld but once again, its not the same.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Rex if you would like I'll contact Gamespy under the auspices that I'd like to host a master server.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
The master server is still up and running.

Would it be possible to rig up your own master server and see if that does anything different? I remember that the PSO community managed to make their own after the DC version's services went down. Probably different network layout, but still.

TeamXlink

Feb 6, 2011
Would it be possible to rig up your own master server and see if that does anything different? I remember that the PSO community managed to make their own after the DC version's services went down. Probably different network layout, but still.

It is possible but my server shows up in the master-list on the Dreamcast just fine, the master-list isn't the problem.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
It is possible but my server shows up in the master-list on the Dreamcast just fine, the master-list isn't the problem.

For some reason I thought that some coding in the master list might be causing a problem with connecting to a third-party server that could be circumvented by making a third-party master list. :s

Last edited:

TeamXlink

Feb 6, 2011
For some reason I thought that some coding in the master list might be causing a problem with connecting to a third-party server that could be circumvented by making a third-party master list. :s

It is possible, but when we try all of the things I listed, we will be bypassing the master list and master-server all together, thus circumventing a possible problem however, your idea is worth trying and I shall do so.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Master listing is only one part. It's simply showing the I'm-alive ping of the server. Getting clients to connect through it will be the part that's harder. I still don't see why GameSpy wouldn't let you guys have a master server copy if the game isn't supported any longer. You know some of the senior guys there are old atari players and coders who started on Vic-20's with peek and poke. I'll bet you they would totally get it and might even lend a hand as long as the legal side is cool.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I have a friend there in San Fran. He might get me to the actual coders. I'll try this evening and get back to you. I don't think it's going to be a huge hassle once you get the master server software. About the only thing I see being an issue is the container software that DreamCast made to control updating, port assignment, etc. They will likely not release any of that.

GF-REX

Jan 31, 2008
Kansas, USA
www.unrealrex.com
I tried the server and I have some good news and bad news.

The server shows up in the master listing, but if I join it through this way, I get denied.

If I start a practice session and join it manually through the "open" command, it takes a while to load, but I appear in a level! Just when things seem alright, I almost instantly get disconnected and I get an error about losing connection with the master server.

I don't know how you did it, but it looks like you are close to getting this working.

One point that I'd like to bring up is that the level I join appears to be a box with the default 'moon-like' texture applied to it.

Another point is the lack of a level screenshot. When viewing the server listing, it is supposed to show the map name and map screenshot. This shows the map filename, but no screenshot.

With these issues, it seems to me like the primary UT files are correct, but something is causing issues with the textures. I'm thinking either the texture files or the map file itself.

TeamXlink

Feb 6, 2011
I tried the server and I have some good news and bad news.

The server shows up in the master listing, but if I join it through this way, I get denied.

If I start a practice session and join it manually through the "open" command, it takes a while to load, but I appear in a level! Just when things seem alright, I almost instantly get disconnected and I get an error about losing connection with the master server.

I don't know how you did it, but it looks like you are close to getting this working.

One point that I'd like to bring up is that the level I join appears to be a box with the default 'moon-like' texture applied to it.

Another point is the lack of a level screenshot. When viewing the server listing, it is supposed to show the map name and map screenshot. This shows the map filename, but no screenshot.

With these issues, it seems to me like the primary UT files are correct, but something is causing issues with the textures. I'm thinking either the texture files or the map file itself.

That level that shows up, has nothing to do with my server, I documented that a while ago in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXhtUP06GBQ

I was very excited just like you were, when I found out.

EDIT: I forgot to mention but the dial tone isn't required like I thought it was.

It was just a coincident that it only showed me the level when I had a dial tone. Sometimes you can go actually play in it.

Also, I'm diagnosing the problems, I have a log of your connection attempt.

Thank you for the help so far.

Last edited: