Why do movies/games...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
2kewl4skewl.jpg

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Actually, Anubis is supposed to be a pretty nice guy in actual Egyptian Mythology.
I don't know about your dating criteria, but someone who's obsessed with death and only comes around when you're dead or dying to keep beasts away from your decaying body - if he lets it decay at all and doesn't help taking care that it doesn't - is not a "nice guy".
Unless your definition of "nice guy" is "not quite the mass-murdering demon creature he's sometimes vaguely implied to be".

Besides, in UC2 Anubis isn't actually the god Anubis but just a member of the Nakhti race and named after the god. Him running around with a metal Jackal-head helmet is part of his futuristic wrestling persona.
In The Mummy he is only present in form of a statue, which has every right to be where it is, considering it's "the city of the dead", and he swoops in as a blurry ghost on a chariot for a couple of seconds near the end... In The Mummy Returns he is only mentioned and the antagonist in the Stargate movie is Ra. As Stargate's whole gimmick used to be that ancient egyptian gods are actually powerful aliens it's not surprise that eventually they'd have an Anubis on the show.
I just don't see much of a trend or obsession with Anubis here. Not even in your examples, let alone in "movies/games" as such.

Zer0

Jan 19, 2008
However, on a serious note:

In almost each and every case that Anubis appears in a given movie/game/comic/book/cartoon thing, he either represents death (as he should :p) or is otherwise harmful. And almost every single time whatever he is involved in, fails miserably.

I'd wager this reflects our fear of death, of 'the end', with each victory over what Anubis represents, we symbolically beat death, for a short while we can imagine to ourselves that since the death god failed, maybe death will fail in our personal case. I supoose that is why he is so omnipresent, because in RL, death is omnipresent -- and at least in fiction we want to see that this thing can be beaten.
Whoa, that's deep bro.